THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    Wirehaired Pointer Griffon

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wirehaired Pointer Griffon
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am starting to look into getting a dog. I have grown up with labs my whole life and firmly believe a black lab is the best love money can buy, but my wife is a clean freak and not a fan of shedding. I have done some research and have read a lot of good things about wirehaired pointer griffons. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge with them or recommendations of other breeds. I am looking for the following:

- Medium to large dog.
- Will be primarily a family dog (3 kids, 4 & under)
- Indoor/Outdoor
- I will be working with my oldest who will most likely be 5 when I get it to hopefully train to retrieve.
- I am not looking for a competition caliber dog, just gun dog who is eager to please and loves to fetch.
- Doesn't shed or sheds little.
- Doesn't yap all of the time. I can't stand ankle biters!

Posts: 411 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 28 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I currently have a 6 month old pup. He's very smart. Very birdy, and with a high prey drive. At 3 months most basic obedience was pretty good including heeling. I need to spend more time and emphasis to ensure he stays for longer periods - he tends to bolt at the slightest movement of leaves, bugs, etc. For family health reasons we are just now beginning field training but so far he's pointing and tracking scent and retrieving dummies well.

At this age, he's still a puppy and I've been told they are puppies for an extended time, it takes patience. As a breed they are a little soft so harsh training melds aren't recommended. He has been the most difficult dog to house break that I've had. He will go every time he's outside but will not indicate that he needs to go out during the day. He also has only a 5 hour bladder so I get up every night to take home out of his crate when or if he barks.

He's very friendly and good with people. He follows me everywhere. No shedding and non destructive in the house.

Look for a proven breeder of hunting stock. There's a good community of owners and much information on the Internet.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My late father brought the first ones west of the Mississippi, and I grew up with griffons. They're a stoic breed, but they take to training well with a relatively soft hand.

There is no sturdier gun dog, in my opinion. There are faster working dogs, dogs with better noses, classier looking dogs...but as an all around upland and water dog, nothing beats the griffons with their webbed feet and undercoat. heat is a bit hard on them; keep them hydrated!

I now have a gang of setters. They're great companions, but I miss griffons...all but my old Ms. Sadie.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of megsdad
posted Hide Post
Check out Pudelpointers. Have a female on order from a great breeder/trainer in Central Oregon.

Steve Thomas

Posts: 104 | Location: so oregon | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
they are very good dogs ,they will be a good companion .I use labs and english pointers for my daily wing shooting ,of doves pidgeons ,partriges,and ducks .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was one tethered to a motor home when I was at the SCI show. What a beautiful breed.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Griffons and I go way back. Age 10 and age 8...my dad wrote several articles for Gundog Supreme back in the day. Wink

A morning's chuckar shoot just above Reno NV on Peavine Mountain early October 1957.

Richvale cooperative hunting area in the Sacramento Valley November 1955.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you or your Dad from Montana?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a small home in Libby MT, but I'm stuck here in Nevada for now. I'm from N.NV; my dad came to NV after getting out of the Navy after WWII. He was from Illinois.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing photos of K. Griffons from a breeder in Montana in the early 1930's and his wife did the breeding and hunting. After WWII, she accidentally bred her griffons with DD as she thought they were high quality K.Griffons. She and he were supposed to be the first owners of griffons in USA or is it west of the Mississippi river? They had decent coats back in the day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
I remember seeing photos of K. Griffons from a breeder in Montana in the early 1930's and his wife did the breeding and hunting. After WWII, she accidentally bred her griffons with DD as she thought they were high quality K.Griffons. She and he were supposed to be the first owners of griffons in USA or is it west of the Mississippi river? They had decent coats back in the day.

I suspect that you are talking about Bob Ward who owned a large sporting goods store in Missoula. I bought my first GWPG from him in 1966. I heard from him that he and the Dupont family were the first to import Griffs into the US.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GWPG? or do you mean WPG?
That was the place but I was there in late 80's and he must've been at least 80 years old at the time. Did he speak of the Dupont family? I beginning to wonder how he came across high quality Arabians.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Great thread. Luv2safari, my hunting dog "rabbi" says WPGs or PPs are the only way to go.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Griffons are about the most versatile dog I've encountered, and there have been many breeds and dogs.

They do have a pretty distinct odor about them, however. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are a great bread from everything I have read. I will be getting one in late October. The boys and I are very excited.

Posts: 411 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 28 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I now have a 5 month old Griff named Cash and couldn't be more pleased with him. He has lived up to everything I have heard about the bread. He is beautiful, smart, loyal and loves his bumpers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a Mars stripping comb. Wink
Send us a photo of your pup.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here he Cash!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK,ihave a DD.Cant tell the difference among the WHPG,GWHP,DD(really a GWHP).

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am new to pointers so I had to do some google. There are subtle differences in appearance, but I think they come out more in behavior and hunting style especially between the Griff GWP And DD. Here is a descent article on DD vs GWP.

http://www.gundogmag.com/breed...-wirehaired-pointer/

This is a good explanation of WPG vs. GWP. I almost bought my dog from this breeder.
http://www.flatbrooksportingdogs.com/faqs.htm

All beautiful dogs and very versatile dogs. I saw all three at the NAVHDA training event I went to yesterday.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cash's first point. This was his first exposure to birds. By the end of the day he was doing some beautiful points. He is definitely gifted and he was fun to watch.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
A guy I used to work with who is a timber company security officer has one that we hunted with and who keeps an eye on him in the woods for human and animals.

I looked and cannot find the pics of us hunting green Afghan pheasant and chukars in Oregon.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote