Find
Notify
Tools

Distance from trigger to grip
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I have a Remington Sendero SF II in .300 Win Mag that I have "semi-customized" myself. It is one of the newer model Senderos that has the HS Precision stock with aluminum chassis. I love the stock...however I do have one complaint. The distance from the trigger to the grip seems too short to me. It causes me to adjust my grip in a way that I really don't care for. I have replaced the factory trigger with a Jewell trigger, but the issue is still there.

Can anyone here recommend a solution? I feel like something similar to a trigger shoe is needed to extend the front surface of the trigger forward, so that it hits my finger properly (near the tip instead of mid-knuckle). Any suggestions?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You probably need a different stock.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adding a "shoe" will decrease your feel.
Pull the trigger from the side from the middle of the first pad of your index finger.

Adding an adjustable cheek piece & adjusting the length of pull of the stock will help also.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McMillan will move an inlet forward. Swept grips aren't good for great for finger position unless you grip them low to lengthen reach. Just like the comb is too low for most optics and mounts.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most stocks have that problem..A custom stock of English design has a more open grip and is my choice..A trigger shoe will extend trigger reach a tad, try it and see...double set triggers will do the same thing and tighten up a grip..I can't stand a tight grip..You need at least 4.5 inches from wood to back of trigger guard with an open grip curve.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Timney makes a trigger with a near-total trigger shoe adjustment. Take a peek and see if that might work for you. I just installed one on someone else's rifle and I like it lots.

For me: Off a bench, bipod or prone, it's hard to beat the vertical grip model stocks but they're not my choice for a walking rifle.

The "feel" of a rifle stock is so personal that it makes me shake my head when recommendations are made to other as though it's God's word. As it should be, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Zeke

Posts: 2270 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
Timney makes a trigger with a near-total trigger shoe adjustment. Take a peek and see if that might work for you. I just installed one on someone else's rifle and I like it lots.

For me: Off a bench, bipod or prone, it's hard to beat the vertical grip model stocks but they're not my choice for a walking rifle.

The "feel" of a rifle stock is so personal that it makes me shake my head when recommendations are made to other as though it's God's word. As it should be, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Zeke

Hee Hee...ever wondered what kind of a stock it would turn out to be if you followed all the advice?

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:

Zeke

Hee Hee...ever wondered what kind of a stock it would turn out to be if you followed all the advice?

You're right! Opinions and "good advice" are rampant on this site and I'm as guilty as the next guy.

Vertical grip, open grip, palm swell or not, wide or narrow forend, round or flat, on and on and on? I suppose that's why I said it's a personal thing. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

With that said, it would be an abortion if one tried to incorporate all the opinions/options into one rifle. (seems like I remember we saw one in the custom section a couple years ago and we all had a good chuckle).

Zeke

Posts: 2270 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure do like to have the owner of a custom rifle I build to be close enough to try the fit form time to time..I have a friend on AR that I build stocks for and his LOP is little more than a pistol grip its so short, but he loves the fit, because it fits him..I shot his last one on a test fire and it took me two day and a jar of vasoline to get my thumb out of my nose? rotflmo

I

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been making "pistol" stocks out of rifle-Savage-stocks, be sawing off the back and adding a common AR pistol grip. I'm still searching for the "right" relationship, grip to trigger, and it ain't easy. Checked against Ruger Charger, S&W M10, Savage Striker, and others. A quarter inch makes a world of difference. Have pic but can't post it here.

joe b.

Posts: 51 | Location: Marathon, FL | Registered: 03 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post