New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Pistol Academy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just finished my first day of a 2 day long range shooting course with Texas Pistol Academy. All I can say is amazing. I learned a hell of a lot. I hit a target the size of a grapefruit at 600 yards every shot. I never thought that was possible
I was most impressed with the school.

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell us more! What were you shooting and what kind of stuff did they teach you that you did not know?
For example, I have an app for my phone (Strelok) that gets me close enough with my 308 that while I may not be able to hit a grape fruit at 600 yards with my first shot, I should scare it opretty good and get a hit on the second or third.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was shooting a Browning X Bolt in 270 Winchester topped with a 2x 12 Swarovski.

He taught me lots of things such as:

Better method to clean my gun
Formula for wind compensation
How to estimate wind speed
How to better break the shot
Better method for bipod usage
How to work up the adjustments
How to better use what is available on my scope
How to dress the rifle

And on and on

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larry. I agree that bipod use requires a specific technique for repeatability of shots. Not that I am an expert on bipod use.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

My first target at 600 yards.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Note to self: Do not piss of Larry if he is within 600 yards of you!

That looks like my 100 yard group from a couple of my least favorite rifles!

This thread has really peaked my interest in Tx Pistol Academy. I have been looking at Gunsight, Spartan and some others. Had made up my mind to go, just can't decide on which.

I am going to give this place a look.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell:

I think I have the name wrong. I think the official name is -Texas Pistol, Rifle & Shotgun Academy, Inc.

Well worth it in my opinion.

One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
What kind of bullets were you using?

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a bunch of Federal Premium 130'grain Barnes TSX. I hate them for hunting. I decided to burn them up in this training

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Wendell:

I think I have the name wrong. I think the official name is -Texas Pistol, Rifle & Shotgun Academy, Inc.

Well worth it in my opinion.

No worries, I googled it and found it.

Close to home, and looks like all the others I have considered.

I want to do the Carbine course and the handgun course and a long range shooting course. Three different courses over time, obviously.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post