THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PRACTICAL PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM

Moderators: Pete E, Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has Anyone Tried An SLR As A Trail Camera??
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
WE just got a motion trigger that operates an SLR, and we are thinking of taking it on safari to try.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this, and might give us some pointers.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I've never tried that. Apparently once you get started you get addicted to it. I've got an old Nikon D60 that would be just right for this. Anyway, this guy (Andy Young) seems to know what he is talking about.

http://www.wildimages.org/slr-trapping/

And maybe get Emmanuel Rondeau's ebook:

http://www.emmanuelrondeau.com...ns/dslr-camera-trap/

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much my friend.

I will pass these links to my young cousin, who is going to be in charge of this.

I actually bought him the new Nikon D850 for this.

I will let you all know how it all works out on our safari.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Glad to help your young cousin with some websites with good information. If you Google "dslr camera trap" there are many sites loaded with information.

It seems they all use the same flash, the old Nikon SB-28, but you'll probably have to go on eBay to find one (or two). The other constant (other than recommending a wide-angle zoom lens) is the use of cheaper or older dslr's. It seems there is a risk that some animals will destroy the camera.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Concerning Rondeau's ebook, it is now dated since it describes using old technology. I contacted the author who tells me that he is going to update to describe how he prepares wireless triggering for the flash set-ups. No schedule on the update for the time being.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Water proof housings ?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote