New
Find
Notify
Tools

Autumn still life photos
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was playing around a bit a couple days ago With my Nikon D7000 and 35mm 1.8 G lens. Normally, in such a situation, I just look around the garden and try to find something interesting to photograph. This time, however, I decided to come up with "still life" type photos celebrating the beginning of autumn and the passing of summer. My wife had a fresh bouquet of colorful fall flowers, along with some small pumpkins and squash. I also grabbed a couple fresh tomatoes from our little garden. Attached are the resulting photos. It was a fun session and I hope you enjoy the photos.

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Well done. I like the composition and lighting. I don't know how much light you had (natural?) but, and I hope I'm being constructive here, a little more depth of field might have made those orange/yellow pumpkins (squash?) pop out a just a bit more.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink,

Your comments on photography, mine or anyone else's, are always welcome to me. I learn something from you about everytime you post. The three photos I posted were all shot with an aperture of f5.6. I also shot the same shots using an aperture of f8, providing a bit more depth of field. I'll post them for comparison. I stand corrected, I shot two of the three images at f8 as well, not all three. Anyway, here they are for comparison.

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Tom, you probably can't redo them (unless your wife will give you the tomatoes back) but while the f/8 shots slow slightly better DOF, it's not yet enough for the point of focus you selected. Flowers are nice and sharp. I wonder how it would have looked if the focus point had been on the pumpkins. DOF is more forgiving going away from the point of focus than coming nearer.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't mean to take up so much of your time but it is quite interesting for me. I recreated the shots as best I could - not the tomatoes as we ate them last evening but with my small garden, I have more. I shot two images of the vase, one at f5.6 and the other at f18. The three group shots of pumpkins and tomatoes were shot at f18, f11, and f5.6. The Pumpkin grouping were shot at f5.6, f11 and f16. Have a look.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
PM sent.