Find
Notify
Tools

Lens cleaning
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
Africa is not the only place where the probability of a frontal lens or a lens filter will get dirty is high. Obviously the first thing to do is blow off dust and dirt particles with something like a Rocket Blower.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c...cket_Air_Blower.html

But when there are smudges or dirt stuck on the lens/filter you will need to wipe it off with something. I recommend the Zeiss lens wipes, pre-moistened and individually wrapped.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c...ning_cloths_box.html

Using a dry lens wipe is not a good idea. Using a microfiber clothe MADE FOR LENSES is not a bad idea but if they get oils on them or have any kind of trace manufacturing solvents on them they will either just spread the gook around or worse.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been using the ones individually packed for glasses too.

Work very well.

Thank you for reminding us of this.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66937 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent advice, mark me down as another who uses the individually wrapped Zeiss wipes. I also have in my lens cleaning kit a little bottle of Zeiss lens cleaning fluid and a couple of the microfiber lens cloths stored in little fabric pouches. I think it is important to never rub a dry cloth or paper on a lens surface.

In addition to using air for removing dust I have a fine lipstick style hair brush which works well for removing dust. After use give the brush a blast of air to keep it clean.

I don't use a neutral filter for lens protection though I don't think it is a bad idea. My thinking is having paid for an expensive, carefully ground and matched set of lens elements I hate to stick a piece of glass in front of them. Could be wrong, I admit, but over the course of 50+ years I've owned and used extensively many fine lenses and have yet to damage one.

I am fussy about using lens hoods and lens caps, and protecting lens/camera from impact. I don't necessarily clean lenses before snapping cute pictures of the pup but do clean before doing photos for magazine publication.

Good advice from Wink. Oh yes, like Saeed I also use the wipes on my regular and shooting eyeglasses,