Find
Notify
Tools

Ground level perspective in Ruaha
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I saw this set of images on Fred Miranda's web site. The photographer uses an interesting upside-down monopod set-up to get his camera down at ground level when in a vehicle. Great results and could give you some ideas on your own efforts at wildlife photography.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1527991

The photographer smashed a Nikon D5 and a 400mm f/2.8 lens the fourth day into his month long trip (that's about $19,000 worth of equipment) so as he says it, "it's a good thing I came with 3 bodies".

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a low or ground-level perspective puts the emphasis of the subject. When taking photos of the dog sled races in Alaska, most photographers get down on the snow with the camera lens about 10" from the ground or snow. Not anywhere near the quality of the photos you posted, just an example:

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Gotta love those doggie socks.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
Gotta love those doggie socks.

The "booties" protect their paws from chafing. The ice is pretty tough on their paws when on long distance sledding.

Wolf breeds aren't allowed in those races, but according to some old mushers from long ago, wolves don't have that paw trouble when running on ice.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Wink, some great photos in your link.

This lion is an incredible specimen.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ForrestB

That's an outstanding photo of a lion, ForrestB.

My most sincere complement aside, I was just imagining how good a photo like that would have been if the lion was moving on a full charge toward the camera Big Grin

Sorry, but I could not help but to think about such instance while "safely" sitting in front of my computer. In real life that would be a hair raising experience, I imagine Smiler