Find
Notify
Tools

The Fujis
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted
Anyone have any real experience with the new Fuji cameras? The x100 and Pro look like solid cameras.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Are you looking at these because you want to go small and light?

I've "handled" most of the mirrorless cameras, including the Fujis. Mostly because the idea of a smaller, lighter, but great camera is a notion that one hopes will be reality.

The Fuji X-Pro2 adverts made me want one, but after handling one in the store I decided they aren't what I want. If by solid you mean heavy, it is, given it's size.

I admit to being biased about ergonomics and access to controls, I use one of the best cameras ever made in that respect, the Nikon D810. I don't mean all Nikons have this, the Nikon Df just doesn't work well for me, even though I was wishing very, very hard that it would and I would have bought it if it did. Right now there are some good deals on the Nikon D810, since it will probably be replaced this year with a new model. Same with the Canon 5D Mark III, now that the Mark IV has come out. Both of these have full frame sensors, which can mean a lot to photographers who want to play with depth of field. If you want to shoot sports or wildlife, then I think the Nikon D500 is presently the APS-C sensor camera that has the best and fastest focusing system at a reasonable price (whatever reasonable means since we're talking about a lot of money). It's a little smaller than most full frame sensor cameras, but by no means compact. It's reasonable compared to a Nikon D5 or a Canon 1D X Mark II. Have you ever looked at the prices of those cameras?

The Sonys and the Fujis don't have this, and the weight gain isn't enough for me when I consider the lenses I would want to go with them.

http://www.sansmirror.com/came...ilm-x-t2-review.html

The compact cameras only interest me if I can fit it in my pocket, with the lens on. Some of the small body cameras have lenses just as big as full frame sensor camera's, so I just don't get it. If you can stick it in your pocket there is a good chance you'll always have it on you, which is a good thing. If I'm going to carry a separate bag for my camera and lenses, it might as well be a "great" camera I can handle well.

The Sony RX100 Mark III will fit in my shirt pocket. The Fuji X100F won't.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Anyone have any real experience with the new Fuji cameras? The x100 and Pro look like solid cameras.

I imagine that you are referring to mirrorless cameras? These are quite compact, and don't have the bulky mirror and components a regular SLR camera has. The lenses are in fact quite small in size compared to regular lenses, and some have the added benefit of allowing for the use of the regular Canon and other lenses if that's what you want to do.

Because of their design (no flopping and noisy mirrors), the pressing of the shutter release is almost silent. And don't believe for a moment that all lag behind in features if compared to regular-size cameras of today, regardless of brand.

About a month ago my wife, who by the way has very small hands, was looking at an Olympus OM-5 at a local store, and she really liked it. I went ahead and bought the camera for her, but it was not cheap at all. Some of the mirrorless cameras cost nearly as much as some of the top Nikon and Canon cameras. Please keep in mind that a mirrorless camera that incorporates a digital viewfinder is what you want.

http://www.switchbacktravel.co...t-mirrorless-cameras

These lenses are feather light, very small, and incorporate top of the line glass:
http://www.switchbacktravel.co...o-four-thirds-lenses

Also, be aware of the following: buying a mirrorless camera with a Pro kit lens is cheaper than buying the camera alone, and then the lens. And yes, you can buy the body with a cheap kit lens and save some money, but later you would be drooling over the pro version of the same lens. The pro lens is not made of plastics and glass, but incorporates metal, plus it's a lot faster than the cheap kit lens. Here is an example of a great buy (camera with a kit "pro" lens):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...kId=3GB37D6CYZ2E4FPX

Finally, I will give you some advise about mirrorless cameras: these cameras incorporate so many features that at the beginning you will be overwhelmed. Most include a very small paper manual, but you will have to download the complete users manual from the manufacturer website (it is that large). The best way to learn about the camera is to watch the instruction videos provided by the manufacturer.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, pretty much smaller and lighter but with good quality. Something that I'm more likely to toss in a bag than leave home. The x100 reminds me of an old Nikon AF film camera that I have and have taken tons of pics with. It was always in the bag, and I just used my feet for zoom. I'm not talking landscape or wildlife photography - I tend to take more pics from "here to there" so to speak. The smaller pocket cameras (granted, the ones I've used are older), just didn't seem to cut it when printed, especially if I needed to crop anything. Maybe the new ones like you mention are up to the task.

Ray: The Olympus is interesting, thanks for the tip.

I guess it comes down to I'm still figuring out what I need/want!

FYI - my favorite camera I ever used an a cheesy little Pentax ZX-5N with a 28mm prime. I would load it up with Tri-X and set the focus at the sweet spot and just take pics all day. Again, mostly from "here to there," but it was small, always ready, and surprisingly tough for a non-pro camera.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
HAve just glanced at the Rx-100 page - yeah, things have changed a ton since I looked at the little pocket cameras. Wow.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have the X2, as well as other cameras from Sony, Nikon, Canon and Panasonic.

It is the least used camera, as everyone seems to think it is a bit weird???

Canon and Nikon cameras are are getting about the same use.

Sony is becoming quite popular - we have 2 A7 and both are used a lot.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Baxter,

I have had a Fuji X100T for the past three years or so. I really like mine for the purposes you describe. I have traveled with it quite a bit and I think it is a great walking around camera, and for street photography. It is obviously not a compact, pocket camera, but it is a lot less to carry than a DSLR with lenses. I think image quality is outstanding if you do your part. I just "upgraded" to the latest X100F. I like the cameras for what they are.

Posts: 1045 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Thanks David, appreciate the comment. I'll have to get these in my hands and see what's what. Cheers.

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
I have enjoyed my X100 as a walk around camera like David said. And I carry a small point and shoot Leica compact for all other times. I've gone the SLR route with lenses, and these two have served me well. Just keeping things simple with excellent optical lens cameras.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote