New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snow trapping
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We are finally getting some snow in Minnesota so can finally do some snow trail trapping.

Most people know that when the snow gets deep predators like fox and coyotes oftentimes will walk in their old trails once or even twice again, which is a great opportunity to catch them.

After it snows I go for a ride on country roads looking for tracks crossing the road. IF I find a set I follow the trail on the side of the road where the tracks came from for about 20-30 yards. Then I approach the trail and look for a suitable track to set. I approach a track and very very carefully dig under it from the side so that I can slip a trap in right under the track. The trap is attached to a drag.
I then very carefully fill in the Hole I dug and carefully brush on top of the snow to make it look like no hole was ever there.
When the fox or coyote comes back over the trail they will step in their same tracks and if that trap is set right under their track they will hit the trap pan and get caught.

If you trap try this method. It works well in deep snow.

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Years ago I used to set snares across snow trails when I lived in snow country. Very effective. I caught a lot of coyote and fox that way.

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ears ago I used to set snares across snow trails when I lived in snow country. Very effective. I caught a lot of coyote and fox that way.

Yes snares are very effective, This trap set works well when there are too many regulations for snaring. Also sometimes snares can rub the fur the wrong way to cause unsuitable marks on the fur

KJK

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would set right off the snowmobile if I could.

One can catch a good number of fox and yotes when the snow is deep and fluffy

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

So would I if I had one!!

KJK

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

One can catch a good number of fox and yotes when the snow is deep and fluffy

Exactly...this has worked well for wolves as they routinely get on the packed snowmobile trail and follow it. So pick some routes that just squeeze between brush and trees and set the snares off the back of the machine. Works great. Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
We are finally getting some snow in Minnesota so can finally do some snow trail trapping.

Most people know that when the snow gets deep predators like fox and coyotes oftentimes will walk in their old trails once or even twice again, which is a great opportunity to catch them.

After it snows I go for a ride on country roads looking for tracks crossing the road. IF I find a set I follow the trail on the side of the road where the tracks came from for about 20-30 yards. Then I approach the trail and look for a suitable track to set. I approach a track and very very carefully dig under it from the side so that I can slip a trap in right under the track. The trap is attached to a drag.
I then very carefully fill in the Hole I dug and carefully brush on top of the snow to make it look like no hole was ever there.
When the fox or coyote comes back over the trail they will step in their same tracks and if that trap is set right under their track they will hit the trap pan and get caught.

Are pelts worth much these days?

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snares on the trail under wire fences are the way to go around here.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
Snares on the trail under wire fences are the way to go around here.

Grizz

Indeed...have been doing that with coyotes for years. Works really well.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375er:
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:

No.

Posts: 6102 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375er:

Wolf, Lynx & Otter yes!

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried snow trapping in early February, and got lucky.
Unfortunately it has melted.
Any suggestions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GEt out there and look for trails when it snows. Try to ascertain what made the trail by the tracks. Then set it up using a foothold like I mentioned or a snare, if legal

KJK