THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FUR HUNTING AND TRAPPING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Fur Hunting And Trapping    Lure recommendation for trapping eastern coyote?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lure recommendation for trapping eastern coyote?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I haven't trapped in years, but coyote have arrived to stay here in eastern Pa. and I want to try to thin them via trapping. There are loads of commercial coyote lures out there...Which to use? (I'll start with baited dirthole sets but I want a good distance call lure to get their initial attention) Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back when I trapped, I used gland lure in the bait hole (on a small stick) and then once everything was set and the trap covered, I sprayed the area and backing log with coyote urine. I seldom had a set go a night without being worked...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I am new to trapping so I cant offer a real wealth of knowledge on the subject. All I can comment on is what has worked in taken the five coyotes that I have got thus far.
I have noticed that using a 'loud' lure works better now that it has gotten much colder. The last two coyote I have trapped I have used Caven's Gusto. The two before that I have caught using Violator 7. All of them have been dirt hole sets.
Maybe its just me, but I dont see the real need for urine at a dirt hole. None of my sets that have produced had urine on them. I just bait the hole and place the call lure on q-tip on top of the hole.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As The Canadian pointed out Gusto is a good one.

Toxi Dog from Kaatz Bros. is my favorite. Skunky stuff in the cold weather has a staying power that you'll need.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
As The Canadian pointed out Gusto is a good one.

Good GOD! I used that as a wildlife biologist for fisher...mixed it with lanolin...wow! the smell...

I use egg, Lindbergher cheese, tuna, and anchovies with oil...blended and left to ferment into a paste.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Oh I used to order it 12 ounces at a time..it came in 12 one ounce vials and her had to "render it" before delivery...even sealed with wax and in another container and in a box the ups was pissed at us...

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dirt hole set for coyotes. I stuff a mouse in the hole. Then a tuft of grass about the same size as the mouse...use a stick to ram-rod the grass,and mouse to the bottom of the hole.
That's it.
Don't underestimate the power of a coyotes nose.

One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Been a while since I trapped but a fiend I had was a commercial trapper and he used various close range scents at the bait hole and then his "secret" weapon to get them into the area was skunk essence mixed with Vaseline. He put the melted Vaseline in a jar and put the skunk essence in while it was liquid. After the trap was set, before he would leave the area, he would open his jar and dip a nearby limb into it. The skunk would draw them near and then the less obnoxious smell would lure them to the trap. He caught hundreds of coyotes every year. Said the coyotes couldn't resist checking out the skunk. Don't use it at the actual trap site or they will roll in it.
The same technique could be used with one of the powerful smelling lures like Gusto.

To get the skunk essence he would use a syringe and draw it out of the scent gland after catching one. It wasn't uncommon to catch a few every year. One was enough for a long time.

One hell of a stink bomb.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker
Curious about who Jesus is? Click hereChristianity-or- contact me

Posts: 485 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drive 50 to 60 miles away from where you will trap. Cruise the back paved roads early in the morning and look for coyote scat. Zip lock bag it the fresher the better. Freeze until needed. Back at your home trapping area put a turd or two out and force em to step on your trap to check it out. Worked a 100 times before. We use rubber jawed traps for coyotes in pens to train dogs.

Posts: 701 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Most commercial lures will do the job. Basically two types, gland/sex lures and bait/food lures. To optimize use both at different sets. PA has quite a few trapping supply dealers. Certain they will gladly speak with you and get you what you need.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to know if sardines in oil would work for coyotes. Just crack the tin a little and leave it in the funnel at the base of the tree, covered in leaves. Just an idea.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenKK:
I'd love to know if sardines in oil would work for coyotes. Just crack the tin a little and leave it in the funnel at the base of the tree, covered in leaves. Just an idea.

Sardines in can = Raccoon and skunk

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote