THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FUR HUNTING AND TRAPPING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Fur Hunting And Trapping    Anybody getting ready for fall trapping
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody getting ready for fall trapping
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just dyed and dipped a few dozen traps. Anyone else in the mood to trap this fall

Posts: 118 | Location: Utah | Registered: 25 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I plan on setting out a couple of traps as I do every year. Usually try to catch enough to pay for the license and gas.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I am sort of getting in that mode,, just got a box-full of Sterling 600's in the mail and have a bucket of seal blubber simmering out back. We can't trap until freez-up here so there;
's lots of time to work on traps and build snares!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I've been reducing the coon population all summer with DP traps. I am liking these quite a lot.

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to even own 1 sterling. they are always sold out and I can't afford to lose a trap at that price.
I did some DP trapping for the first time last year Ann and I love them

Posts: 118 | Location: Utah | Registered: 25 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a wanabe trapper..what's DP trap? Have gotten about 40 field mice in the last few days, seven or so a night..nights getting a little cooler really bring 'em to the house. Man, are they hard to skin..make stretchers out of tounge depressors..doesn't seem to be much of a market for their hides..

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Les:
Am not a trapper, but, I read a couple rags.
DP's are dog proof.

Have fun, hope the fur market opens up for your plans.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do full time ADC work so I get to trap all year long. Still look forward to fur season though!

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waxed a bunch of MB750s for coyotes, assuming I ever get them set out. Shot 27 since the 15th and board space is sort of at a premium at the moment. I might save them for taking a crack at wolves instead.

I made a dozen marten boxes to sort of connect the dots between the whitetail stands. Probably start hanging those today or tomorrow. Maybe a Fisher will stick his head in one. Likely catch a few rats for the bait if nothing else. Beaver and raccoon seem to be worthless, and skinning them for practice doesn't do it for me. Mink are fun and not much effort even if they aren't worth much.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These guys check my deer baits more often than I do. I'm starting to resent that a bit.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Trapping beaver right now because we have to.......... fur market forecast sucks badly, but we have incredible beaver problems around here and so beaver control on our ranch and a few neighbours is imperative every year.

Getting ready to trap fisher when the season opens and of course we will hit the coyotes hard as they are the only bright spot on the horizon when it comes to fur prices. Won't start to snare them until late November when they are prime here.

Everything else will get a pass this year, except wolves if the pack we had hanging around last winter returns.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
plan on setting out a couple of traps as I do every year. Usually try to catch enough to pay for the license and gas

Might have a hard time doing that this year

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got this guy today; it must be the worlds unluckiest weasel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
But then, a new contender emerges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The there's the semi-regular visitors to my deer stands. You'd think that one would accidently step in a coyote trap eventually.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Nice fisher dogleg. We are up to a half dozen so far. Sure nice getting around, pretty open fall up to this point, we only have a couple inches of snow on the ground. I imagine you do not have much yet either?

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a bit of snow, but it is going down fast. Just enough to make the bush white.

Got another one the other day, also in a marten box.

I'm not a real trapper, just playing around while I'm deer hunting. It sort of adds a bit; sit a stand in the morning, check a few traps, sit the evening then quit. In between, and sometimes instead of, I managed to scratch down 34 yotes calling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And a couple more from yesterday. My little 800 acre property borders a national park, and anything I catch or shoot is inevitably replaced by another coming out of the park.I just put a few traps out on one quarter, where I was going past to get to the deer stand. I think Ill set the rest and go "pro". Wink

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
We start by trapping a few beaver 1st for wolverine and lynx bait. This is our 3rd El Nineo yr and not much ice to get to far on.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote