Find
Notify
Tools

Quarterly report
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
My farm depredation efforts since the beginning of the year. I have been at this for nine (ten very soon) years now but decided to keep some stats this year.

Jan- 3 Raccoon
7 Possum
- All males

Feb- 4 Possum
1 Armadillo
1 feral cat
- All males

Mar- 1 Armadillo
1 Skunk
2 Raccoon 1F
8 Possum 2F
- All males except where listed

~Ann

Posts: 19150 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I conclude that the males of these species are the dumber ones.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much more likely is the females tend to stay in a den/nursery area and the males must go on a 'walkabout' looking for a receptive female to spend some quality time with.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second quarter report:

April
1- Raccoon
21- Possum
5- Armadillo

May
5- Raccoon
13- Possum
6- Armadillo

June
6- Raccoon
4- Possum
6- Armadillo
1- Woodchuck

~Ann

Posts: 19150 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
what are you using to catch your armadillos?

Posts: 321 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
280 with KB Stabilizer set in their trail. They walk right into them.

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Geez, Ann, here I am living in Texas and have yet to see a 'dillo in the wild. Had opossums aplenty back in Oregon. They were not native, but brought in as pets by folks from the South who came to work in the Kaiser shipyards along the Columbia River during WWII. We had more than our share of raccoons, too, but periodic waves of distemper would knock their numbers back to near zero for a while.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, these creatures are also non native here. They were few in number when I moved here 10 years ago but the last couple of years I was noticing a lot of property damage. I began trapping armadillos and was shocked at how many I got for last year. BTW- Armadillos are nocturnal.

Possums, coons, etc are never ending as they rapidly reproduce with multiple litters each year. I've already gotten 5 possums for January.

I see I need to update and post my last quarter report and '23 year end totals.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last quarter and year end report:

Fourth Quarter

October
1-Raccoon
5-Possum
4-Armadillo

November
2-Raccoon
6-Possum
0-Armadillo

December
0-Raccoon
5-Possum
3-Armadillo

2023 Totals:

Raccoon - 23
Possum - 95
Armadillo - 37
Skunk - 2
Woodchuck - 1
Feral Cat - 1

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Busy year, Ann!
I had to wonder about eating 'dillo.

https://armadillo-online.org/f...20Oaxaca%2C%20Mexico.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fortunately I will never need to eat them.

They are even uglier than possums.

I don't own ugly guns and won't eat ugly things.

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, I have always loved the Burl Ives version of "Old Blue," and he and Blue catch a possum which he "bakes to a golden brown and lays them sweet potatoes all around."
I agree possums are mighty homely critters, but apparently they have made it to a lot of American tables over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2jfdIjV1xs

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And have you partaken of them?

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Never have. I have never eaten coon or even "squill."

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Squill is good. They eat nuts. They are not a major staple for me since I raise sheep, rabbits and poultry but like venison and squill as well.

Just finished butchering 12 fryer age rabbit kits. Meaty!

~Ann