THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FUR HUNTING AND TRAPPING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Fur Hunting And Trapping    Avoid deer in scissor deadfall for fox
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avoid deer in scissor deadfall for fox
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, I guess the header says it all. I’m building a scissor deadfall trap for fox, but I starting to worry that deer might enter the trap. Is there any tips to avoid this? I really do not want that to happen.

Posts: 33 | Location: I'm right here | Registered: 31 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Maybe a scent to attract fox?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the plan, but I do not think that will stop the deer. My first idea was to put the entrance, so it will be awkward for the deer to bend its neck in. But then I was thinking that I do not really know what the deer find uncomfortable.

Posts: 33 | Location: I'm right here | Registered: 31 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Why not set a snare for the fox? Put a cross timber just above the snare to force deer to step over it. Fox goes under and through the snare. I had lots of success with this method. Never got any deer.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is illegal to trap fox with snare where I live. Which is why I’m thinking deadfall.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aresm:
It is illegal to trap fox with snare where I live. Which is why I’m thinking deadfall.

Wow, well, that's a bummer.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are building a dead fall big enough for a deer to get killed.

It way bigger then needed for fox.

No.2 sized leg hold traps work great for fox

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, it will not kill a deer, but it may be stuck, and eventually die. Which is highly unwanted, for obvious reasons.

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Deer are always an issue at the trap site. They seem to be very curious animals and usually trip most of the flat sets and a few dirt holes that I place. I have only caught a few fox so I am no expert but I would get a MB550 and set that up as a dirt hole. Deer cant get trapped and it is much more natural looking then something as big and clunky as as a deadfall, meaning a greater chance of success.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Switch to a smaller deadfall with figure 4 sticks and meat bait.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got deer in a snare before, even with the stick above like Ann said. And like the Canadian said, some deer are going to nose under.

However, a deer in a snare is like the cartoon Tazmanian Devil, a minute or so of those gyrations will throw any log of 50 lbs or so off. Set the old timey deadfall if you are able to. A doe with broken legs from a car, threw my 90 lb Son off before he could get his penknife out. I envy your use of deadfalls.

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im with the Canaddian and have used steel traps tp get fox, dig a cave to fit a fox or a hole at an angle and set the trap backi] in aways, You will get a skunk or coon now and then..

Or tie a bird feather up about 2 ft. high where it will flutter in then wind and a #2 trap covered under the feather and set your trap where deer won't get in it, both work but keep in mind a trap has no prejucice towards skunks, coyotes, bobcats, ringtails or Lynx, no such thing as a fox trap, just a varmint set..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote