New
Find
Notify
Tools

Live trap for bobcats
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone ever have success using a cage trap for bobcats ?

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...0104394/m/4981095802

We had this conversation a few years ago.

A guy here in California makes a hell of a live trap for them and really whacks them.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I saw a live trap with a very live bobcat in it. The trap was built with a partition in the rear, and a live rooster was used as bait. The cat could not get to the rooster, but I am sure that bird had a harrowing several hours until the trappers came to get the trap.

The trap had four short pipe pups welded to the corners so that it could be picked up with wooden dowels or lengths of pipe. The trappers used a hypodermic to subdue the cat, as I understood later.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think cats fall prey to box traps fairly readily.

My uncle tells a story of a leopard that had killed some people in Bangladesh in the 1960's when my family lived there.

The box trap worked well to solve the problem.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked out the CAM traps from California. Pricey but just wondering if anyone has used them.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the live traps for Bobcat very successfully. Standard large sized trap you can get in any Co-op or Tractor Supply store typically with the smaller sizes for Coons etc.

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So..since live bait is a problem here in Georgia....what works best?

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some kind of sight bait outside the trap, another sight bait inside, and good scents.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saw an article in Fur Fish and game where a guy in AZ had good luck catching cats in them.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CAM Trap DVD's came in the mail the other day. Kids and I enjoyed watching them.

I think anyone that buys them will have a good library of knowledge from which to base their own bobcat trapping on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whenever I see this thread all I can think of is the leopard release video that made the rounds a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSLJ2lldWI0

What could possibly go wrong?

Wink

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Just seen where California banned bobcat trapping.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
https://www.google.com/search?...gSYBfk0_SlL9LyCi8%3D">

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Narrow but tall cage so the cat doesn't have to duck works best. Cats hate to walk on wire so cover the floor with dirt and cover the trap to make a cubby. Hang feathers or a CD above the cage as an attractor and feathers and a good commercial cat lure in the back of the cage.

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My brother has caught a few Bobcats in box traps. He usually uses a live pigeon for bait.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the mid 60's I made one with 1/2"x1" welded wire fabric that worked well. I caught three bobcats using just a 3" dia chunk of freezer burned caribou meat I was going to throw out anyway.

Main thing is tie that trap down so they can't tip it over no matter what they do. They WILL raise HELL once the door drops. I never had a problem with them not going in that I know of. Nothing on the bottom, just the meat on the trigger and tied down solid between two pine tree trunks. I set it when living out of the area 50 miles and came back on weekends, had the younger bil's check it every couple days. Until they had a skunk in it and got soaked. Then the MIL put a stop to them checking it. I later caught a badger that destroyed it, tore holes in the wire and dug out thru the bottom. I never made another one.

To handle it with a cat in one, cover it with a blanket and they'll calm right down.

Prices they bring these days I wish like the devil my health was good enough I could do more of it. Now I have trouble walking very far.

Hope this helps, best of luck if you try it.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know several guys that use live traps for bobcats. the traps are large, roughly 18" wide, 24" tall, and three plus feet deep. They have a cage in the back for live bait. I know some guys use live pigeons for bait.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote