Find
Notify
Tools

Win 71,Game hunted.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted
I love the early long tang models & do have a few,my only regret so far is not much field time,I am thinking of maybe taking one along on my next Africa hunt,it will probably be my 416/348 improved,I am working on bullet selection & loads now,I would love to hear of your hunting stories & what game you have taken with your 71?

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deer and elk only. It would be a good enough bushveld rifle and caliber, its balistically a 30-06 and the 06 has proven itself time and time again. I would have another rifle for the open country of African, and there is plenty of that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
Larger deer in the lower 48 and moose in Alaska.

I prefer to still hunt in the traditional style-
that means getting close-using stalk tactics and field craft. Francis Sell in 1950s Oregon alternated between a Model 71 and M-70 in 30-06. Parker Ackley liked his 348 Ack Improved, because it gave 175-200 fps extra over the parent cartridge. I think the 348 WCF is closer to the 338-06 and 35 Whelen than the 30-06.

W-W discontinued the 348/150 gr bullet because it lacked sectional density. With the 250 grainers in the 348 Ack Imp, the Model 71 becomes a different caliber-equaling the 35 Whelen for sure.

Serious medicine if bears come to the caribou
or moose gut pile. Premium bullets now level off
the playing field, like the 348 North Fork 230 grain bullets.

Posts: 359 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I sold my last 71 and kicked myself for doing so. Early deluxe numbered around 1500. I will get another.
In the 1980s, when first in Alaska, I shot caribou and a moose with my 71.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One moose, elk, lots of deer and lots of varmints. Mostly with the 450AK. The moose was shot with 35/348imp and a 300 grain Barnes.

Posts: 123 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 12 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 450ak:
One moose, elk, lots of deer and lots of varmints. Mostly with the 450AK. The moose was shot with 35/348imp and a 300 grain Barnes.

300 grains? how fast were you able to push it? I am wondering what's the heaviest bullet I can get for my 348 improved?

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was loading along at just over two thousand. Did not recover it and it was very difficult to figure out bullet holes as this moose was a fighter. Had holes in his neck I could stuck a hand into. He was delicious, we ate him up in less than a year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 450ak:
It was loafing along at just over two thousand. Did not recover it and it was very difficult to figure out bullet holes as this moose was a fighter. Had holes in his neck I could stuck a hand into. He was delicious, we ate him up in less than a year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
450ak,
Try again, I think you missed something, typo prpbably....If you didn't recover it, how did you eat it in less than a year? rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someplace north of Red Earth Creek Alberta I was hunting moose. This bull came through the timber breaking things. We retreated down a seismic road cut. Bull came out about where the guide last called. Shot the bull angling into right shoulder, bull ran fifty yards and tipped over. Guide was amazed I didn't have a scoped rifle, had never seen anybody hunting with out one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Id love to have a 4 caliber on the IMP 348 case, I think your on to something there..Hows the recoil?? Just a 348 IMP would be a nice bush rifle for sure..The closes Ive come to that is a 45-90, it was much better than the 45-70 IMO..I shot several elk and deer with it..

I say the 348 duplicates the 30-06 balistically as that was Winchesters intention to start with, a lever action 30-06 at the time..You may well be right in that it is closer to a 338-06 or a Whelan...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I had a Browning 71 in 416/348 imp. Killed a good whitetail with it in the Greybull River bottom. Packed it around a lot and sold it last year. To much recoil for my fused neck and back.
The 35/348 and my 450 Alaskan we're done by the same craftsman. Unfortunately I don't know who built them. Both are rebarelled, full magazine tubes and restocked. And they're both heavy. I'd love sell them to a young man so he can enjoy them for many years. I'll find my remaining hunting years with a71 and some 64's. And of course my 500 Smith and Wesson levers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, mother nature show little mercy on us old curmudeons when it comes to recoil!! We may end up taking head shots on moose with a 22 hornet.. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
The 450 AK and 348 Ack Improved really take the 348 case into another dimension. Using a 300 gr Hawk,
shot a bull moose in the Alaskan interior-35 miles east of Lake Minchumina SW of Nenana. One shot kill and he crumpled. The heavy bullet in the 348 AI is also real handy if bears show up. Recoil is similar to the 35 Whelen, as is the performance.

Kodiak bonded 400 gr bullets will reach 2000 FPS
in the 450 AK on my pre-war Model 71. The 350 gr
Hornady RN that has a thick jacket also works well.
I use nothing lighter than a 350 gr bullet in the Alaskan because of the purpose of the rifle.

Ray-it has a little recoil but nothing much beyond the same noticed in a warm 45-70 or 45-90.

Posts: 359 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got mine a couple weeks ago. Had to do a bit of searching and waiting to acquire brass. So it will be a time of testing loads and bullets and such. Almost as much fun as hunting. I plan to hunt deer, hogs and possibly elk (if I can get these old bones up those steep hills).

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I just placed an order with Alaska bullets,got a few hundred of the .458 -400 gr FP's & .348-250gr FP'S,I am hoping that one of my 71's will go with me to Africa this fall.
I just added two more to my collection from one of our very own on here,two long tangs,fully customized,two old solders that show their experience,a 450 & a 35-348 Ackley.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buddy is deadly on CA wild pigs with his 71. the 348 knocks the hell out of them. Stalks them in the barley fields.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Deer and elk only. It would be a good enough bushveld rifle and caliber, its balistically a 30-06 and the 06 has proven itself time and time again. I would have another rifle for the open country of African, and there is plenty of that.

Kind of thought you were full of prunes on the .30/06-.348 comparison, figured the .348 would be better compared to the .35 Whelen. After some ballistic homework I see your comparisons are dead on. So I bow to your superior ballistic knowledge.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Matherne:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

Kind of thought you were full of prunes on the .30/06-.348 comparison, figured the .348 would be better compared to the .35 Whelen. After some ballistic homework I see your comparisons are dead on. So I bow to your superior ballistic knowledge.

Larry,
ream the chamber out to the Ackley version & you will have a 35 Whelen,I got one,doing load development on it now,am upto 2450 with 250's.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I've heard that the improves don't feed so well from somewhere, I don't remember where I heard this. I don't believe I will actually need the additional horsepower, as I will primarily be chasing our local deer and hogs with it. The added case life is tempting however. Who did the work on your rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a B71 that I had converted to 45/90 several years ago. I took it up to the Northern Territory a few years back and managed to take a buffalo using handloads featuring a 520gr cast pill. It worked fine. Not spectacular, but it got the job done - those animals can absorb a lot of lead. The big cast pills worked fine but it is a lot of animal and the skin is quite thick.

I know a lot of you go weak at the knees at the mere mention of a Model 71, but to be honest I prefer the feel of the 1886 - the pistol grip model has a more open grip and being a long tang the grip is not crowded by the point of the comb. The 71's grip just feels awkward to me as does the point of the comb on the short tang models. I also don't care much for the tapered locking lugs. I understand why they were used at the time, but I prefer the 1886 lugs with no taper. One of the features I like on the 71 is the styling and feel of the forend - it fits the hand better and handling is improved.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frowner Doggoneit I was fine with the grip on my 71, but now I see what you are talking about. The grip is much the same on my 88 which also has never bothered me before. Oh well! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Matherne:
Bill, I've heard that the improves don't feed so well from somewhere, I don't remember where I heard this. I don't believe I will actually need the additional horsepower, as I will primarily be chasing our local deer and hogs with it. The added case life is tempting however. Who did the work on your rifle?

Larry.
I got the rifle as is,bought it off a gent who lived in Alaska.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JFE:
I have a B71 that I had converted to 45/90 several years ago. I took it up to the Northern Territory a few years back and managed to take a buffalo using handloads featuring a 520gr cast pill. It worked fine. Not spectacular, but it got the job done - those animals can absorb a lot of lead. The big cast pills worked fine but it is a lot of animal and the skin is quite thick.

I know a lot of you go weak at the knees at the mere mention of a Model 71, but to be honest I prefer the feel of the 1886 - the pistol grip model has a more open grip and being a long tang the grip is not crowded by the point of the comb. The 71's grip just feels awkward to me as does the point of the comb on the short tang models. I also don't care much for the tapered locking lugs. I understand why they were used at the time, but I prefer the 1886 lugs with no taper. One of the features I like on the 71 is the styling and feel of the forend - it fits the hand better and handling is improved.

The 45-90 is a fine round,I have a 1886 takedown,bullet selection being right?it will do the job,Crshelton who posts here has taken big game in Africa with his 45-90,although if I had a choice? it would not be my first choice for hunting big bad things,I have other guns that are more suitable,but the 45-90 is nearly identical to the 450 Alaskan in performance if loaded right in modern guns,I have shot a bison with a 45-90 Sharps & cast bullets,it dropped where it stood,those heavy cast pills gotta have the right speed & hardness to work right,the short tang 71's are not my choice either,all mine are long tang models.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, you're a lucky man to have a few of those long tang 71's. I passed one up at a local auction when the bidding exceeded my budget. It was a very clean, early 4 digit serial number deluxe model with the optional bolt mounted peep and factory sling swivels. 1886's and 71's are a bit of a rarity in this country.

I believe the late Don Heath favored using a Model 71 for hunting or following up leopard. He used to write articles and post as Ganyana.

Back in the 50's when there was a national emergency in Malaya, an Aussie policemen named Rod Stokes was posted there to lend assistance. He took a Model 71 with him and used it to hunt tiger and boar in thick jungle.

There must numerous stories of the Model 71 in use by guides and hunters in the US.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JFE:
Bill, you're a lucky man to have a few of those long tang 71's. I passed one up at a local auction when the bidding exceeded my budget. It was a very clean, early 4 digit serial number deluxe model with the optional bolt mounted peep and factory sling swivels. 1886's and 71's are a bit of a rarity in this country.

I believe the late Don Heath favored using a Model 71 for hunting or following up leopard. He used to write articles and post as Ganyana.

Back in the 50's when there was a national emergency in Malaya, an Aussie policemen named Rod Stokes was posted there to lend assistance. He took a Model 71 with him and used it to hunt tiger and boar in thick jungle.

There must numerous stories of the Model 71 in use by guides and hunters in the US.

The big Bore forum has an interesting discussion on the 450 Alaskan,RIP just posted something,a very interesting hunt with a win 71.

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the mod. 71 in std. .348, used on one bull elk as I recall and shot some othe small stuff with it..Like the gun and the caliber.

That said I also owned a couple of 1886 45-90s and loaded with the 350 gr. Hornady it was an awesome killer, and super accurate..Killed a few elk, one bull and a few cows,best I recall,and the main thing I recall is how well it killed.. It just worked exceptionally well. Always wanted a 50-110,120 or 140 in an 1886 but it just wasn't in the cards, and too late now..Would have made a Cape Buffalo gun I think! and follow up shots galore. I feel like these big slow moving old caliber kill much better with hard cast heavy bullets that make two holes, not so the soft nose bullets, they have never impressed me.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
A bit off the subject but at one time many moons ago I met a fellow hunter who was packing a Win. mod 95 in 9.3x62..I got to know him and he had hunted the world with that one gun, albeit he was knowledgable on all manor of guns and calibers..

I have often considered a Win 95 Carbine, one of the new ones by Win. or Browning in a 9.3x62, an awesome killer that as far as Ive been able to tell would do anything the great 375 H&H would do..for thick stuff a 320 gr. Woodligh RN at probably and easy 2300 FPS in that 95 would be big medicine on Moose, I know a 286 gr. Woodleigh is death on elk at 2400 to 2500 FPS. in my bolt guns.. Maybe its time for me to build such a rifle..I figure it should duplicate the caliber in a bolt gun less 100 FPS.

The only reason Ive never done this is Ive had such good luck with a 220 Nosler partition in the Win. 95, in 30-06, its just deadly on about anything. Its really hard to beat the old 06..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
This probably won't be a lever-action, Ray, but I may be able to borrow a .30-06 for that black-bear hunt. Would 220 grain bullets be the best fodder? If I can't find factory Noslers, would Core-Lokts do?

Posts: 4959 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Corelokts work well especially the round nose version..A 30-06 has enough velocity and bullet weight plus cross section to penetrate a black bear fully most of the time and depending on size..but you are always well armed with a 30-06. My favorite bullet in the 30-06 is the 200 gr. Nosler at 2600 to 2700 FPS. it will kill anything and runs at 180 gr. velocities.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
This probably won't be a lever-action, Ray, but I may be able to borrow a .30-06 for that black-bear hunt. Would 220 grain bullets be the best fodder? If I can't find factory Noslers, would Core-Lokts do?

I used my .308 on black bear. I loaded it with Hornady GMX bullets because I wanted good penetration. It performed exceptionally well.

Posts: 309 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Vance,
From what I have seen, your .308 was an excellent choice for black bear.

86er, a couple more guys, and I have booked a BB hunt in May 2019 where there are color phase bear. He plans to use one of his muzzle loaders and from what I have seen him shoot with them, the bear are in big trouble.
I plan to take my .405 DR just for the fun of it . If it all comes off as planned, I will post a report here and elsewhere .

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks vlwtx348,
I will keep those GMX bullets in mind.

Posts: 4959 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive never felt underguned with a .308 stuffed with 150 gr. bullets at 2800 or 180 gr. gr. at 2600 plus a bit..I do like Nosler partitions or Accubonds, or any premium bullet for elk and larger animals. Hornadys, Corelokts, Win PP all good on deer.

BTW Ive found 180 gr Accubonds to take up too much powder space in a SAvage 99 as case length is determined by the rotor magazine, but the long Accubonds are fine in most bolt actions with 06 length magazines..

I like the .308 and 250-3000 cartridge in the Savage 99 for hunting horseback because its flat and comfortable and has the needed power for anything..From a ballistic standpoint the bolt actions are better in the .308..and definitely bear fodder.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120