Find
Notify
Tools

Marlins are moving very quickly
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I have been chasing Marlins for reasonable prices, but not had much luck.

Have you guys seen any Marlin Darks, or any NIB Marlins for sale anywhere?

When Ruger rights this ship, I am sure they will be available at Dad with 3 kids at home prices.

Shot a friends 1894 Marlin Dark in 44 Magnum, and I really want one.

He paid $850 for it in March. He could probably sell it used now for $1500.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BWW, are you only looking for Marlin? And only 44 mag? I see Marlins on a fairly reg basis, but it might be anything. I saw a 41 mag this summer go for what I thought an extravagant price of $450.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
BWW, are you only looking for Marlin? And only 44 mag? I see Marlins on a fairly reg basis, but it might be anything. I saw a 41 mag this summer go for what I thought an extravagant price of $450.

Well you haven't been paying close attention on Marlin prices.

450 for a Marlin 94 in 41 would have been a steal. I would have brought it in a heart beat.

Posts: 19304 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess so, I still think of them as a $250 rifle. That's what I gave for a marlin in 375 win a little bit ago and thought I paid dearly for it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The first one I brought was 150.00 times and prices change.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am doing something I haven't done in a while on Wednesday, I am going to make the gunshops loop.

One of the locals that has a lot of Winchesters, Marlins and Savage 99's told me that he isn't going to the Tulsa show since they cancelled it.

I found a new 45-70 Marlin stainless GBL with the rail on it for $1100. I actually think that is a good price.

The only 44 Mag guns I can find are Rossi M92.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am told the only thing worse than 3 kids at home cost are 3 kids in college cost.

Posts: 10558 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
During the 70s a Marlin 336 or a Win 94 went for $150.00 standard pricing. But then too a new Ford P.U. went for $4900.00.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a month ago my nephew asked if I was interested in a couple Marlins a co-worker was selling. Safe queens,but they had the safety so I wasn't interested. A 30-30 at $350 and a 444 at $375. He said they looked new except for a couple dings in the stocks. I had no clue they are bringing the kind of money you guys are talking, would have been a good investment after all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I am told the only thing worse than 3 kids at home cost are 3 kids in college cost.

Indeed!!!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3271 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Just a month ago my nephew asked if I was interested in a couple Marlins a co-worker was selling. Safe queens,but they had the safety so I wasn't interested. A 30-30 at $350 and a 444 at $375. He said they looked new except for a couple dings in the stocks. I had no clue they are bringing the kind of money you guys are talking, would have been a good investment after all.

They'd probably be worth $500 each in todays market.

The $1100 Marlins are the tacticool type ones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
quote:

Indeed!!!

I paid for my own education, I fight the internal demons in thinking my children should do the same.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I paid for my own education, I fight the internal demons in thinking my children should do the same

You need to educate them in cost, benefit analysts.

And not to go to collage just have the experience.

Then not to pay for it just to go.

Saying no is some times best.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
quote:

Indeed!!!

I paid my own way, too, Seth, but wish I hadn't spent the money on that one year of law school.
Lucky for me my daughter had a full ride at Baylor.

I paid for my own education, I fight the internal demons in thinking my children should do the same.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16279 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have four daughters, one is married to a Sailor and for the most part has paid for the majority of her nursing education.

The other 3 are 5, 7, and 9. Education isn't forever long away but it is going to be a while.

Between my disabled veteran status, and the fact that I served 20 years they should have the majority of their education paid for. I am hoping they serve in the military, and hoping they attend one of the academys or go to Bob Jones University and do ROTC.

I worry about what college will look like in 10 years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The time will go quick, to quick. Let college work itself out, just enjoy raising those girls.
As far as an $1100 marlin..... it had better do everything for you but oral sex for that money!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
I paid for my own education, I fight the internal demons in thinking my children should do the same

Well said!!!!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Must be geographical, guns in Idaho are lower in price than I can ever remember...Gun show on Sunday and half a dozen pre 64 mod. 70s std and fwt were priced at $600 to 675, and a few at ridiculas prices of course that didn't sell..sales were down Im told..I recall two Marlins in 30-30 for $350 and 400..A new/old mod. 70 fwt NIB in 308 for $750. I bought a couple that I couldn't turn down..Purhaps just a bad show?? faint

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My kids grew up on a ranch, leaned to work, went to college on a rodeo scholarship, marrried got good jobs and still rodeo, My granddaughter will be roping at the USTRC finals in Vegas as she won about $25000 this year, she is a nurse by trade. All the kids and grand kid have done well indeed..

Today my life is great grand kids at 2 & 4 and one thats still crawling, All but the baby are riding their own horses, and he is in his mothers lap on her horse..

My advice is buy them a horse! keep them off the street and in the right envioroment. tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Well said!!!!

To divert a bit (sorry BWW)

College is great (for the right person) Trade School is great (for the right person)
Learning how to work your tail off is great for EVERY person.

My 3 kids are a perfect example. My two youngest are not for College. Machinist and a Chef (they have zero interest in a University).

My oldest, yes, Engineering has served him well.

As a teacher, I try and try to help parent's and kids understand that in many cases their child can be more successful going the trade route. It depends on the kid.

Posts: 2634 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Jason P. !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Be careful with Marlins made between 2013 and 2015. Many had out of time iron sights and seized receiver plug screws. Ain't no factory warranty now. They were rough as a cob too.

Posts: 3647 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only have a degree because of the VA. My military trades, and several police academies got me into the career that I have today.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
The best gift that I have left to my 3 sons is a good protestant work ethic by example. Those boys will never go hungry due to that disease known as "sit on your ass + wait for someone to give it to me syndrome".

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even with a college education its not a bad idea to study a trade growing up, two of my kids train horses and the other is a horse shoer, but thats other than their college degrees, but if their trade goes bad or they get laid off, the liberals ruin the economy, they can still make a very good living...My granddaughter is a Nurse by trade, but she trains horses and team ropes and made about 25,000 roping, mostly on weekends
this year so for. and she trained a horse that is now being ridden by Wesley Thrope who is #1 this year in the team roping PRCA so far..She also is going to the finals in team roping in Vegas this year. Her hobby extra job pays as much or more than her nursing job..Whatever they learn to do that can back up a trade is always a very large benefit..I btw have had to make a living digging post holes!! thats why I pushed these kids to have a trade to back up an education..A barber, a hair dresser, electrician,plumber whatever..

The secret to ranching these days is a full time job to back your play..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
Worked in my fathers meat market from age 12 to 27. He taught me that the day doesn't end at 5pm. It ends when the work is done. Despite undergrad and an MBA from one of the finest Universities, the lessons my Dad taught me have contributed the most to my success.

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
whats all this talk about the high cost of college going higher? where have you all been the last few weeks? "they" stole the election. college is gonna be free! stick them kids in college right now so you can get your $50,000 debt forgiven. i could go on but i just threw up in my mouth a little.

Posts: 1530 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
During the 70s a Marlin 336 or a Win 94 went for $150.00 standard pricing. But then too a new Ford P.U. went for $4900.00.

yeah yeah yeah. like my dad used to say "i remember when a loaf of bread cost a quarter, but who the hell had a quarter"

Posts: 1530 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
yeah yeah yeah. like my dad used to say "i remember when a loaf of bread cost a quarter, but who the hell had a quarter"

Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:

In 1970 I walked into a store and plunked down a hundred dollar bill and walked out with a brand new Marlin 336 and some change.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the gun business, when something is discontinued, the product goes sky high everytime and when a Arms co. goes tits up their guns become priceless over night and they they are a great investiment everytime, better than the stock market..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Local walmart has an 1894 Marlin in .45LC. I'm thinking about picking it up just because you can't find any of them on the shelves right now.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is a Dark Marlin? I have about a half dozen Marlins but have never heard this term. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Marlins are rapidly increasing in value- but only the JM rifles. The Remlins are as undesirable as a Win 94 with that crossbolt safety.

Here is a plain jane 336AW currently sitting at $550...

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/L...ail.asp?lid=59780006

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 592 | Location: Algona, WA | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3584ELK:
Marlins are rapidly increasing in value- but only the JM rifles. The Remlins are as undesirable as a Win 94 with that crossbolt safety.

Here is a plain jane 336AW currently sitting at $550...

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/L...ail.asp?lid=59780006

Your sadly mistaken. New Remlin SBL's have been selling on Gunbrokers for $2200-2500 for at least the last three months.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6589 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Who/ what is "Gunbrokers"?

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who/ what is "Gunbrokers"?

You can't be that ignorant to claim you have no idea what Gunbrokers is especially with being a member here for 17 years and over 500 posts.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/894083830

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6589 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Oh, you mean GunBROKER (singular)...right. Well, I checked on Marlin SBL's under COMPLETED ITEMS (note the plural usage) and found tons of Dark Marlins listed for 2-3K, but showing as "0 bids- listing ended". That would mean UNSOLD to those of us with no knowledge of "gunbrokers".

You could list a Heritage Rough Rider revolver on GunBroker for $2000, but that doesn't mean it will sell for that price.

I did however locate one example that actually sold for $1700- somewhat supporting your claim>>> https://www.gunbroker.com/item/892430757<<<

Still not quite the $2000- $2500 you quoted. Perhaps a listing on "gunbrokers" would get that price?

You can have your Remlins and bastardized Dark's.

If you ever get the chance, compare a JM Marlin to a Remlin for fit/ finish/ and operation. I have worked on Remlin's whose cartridge lifter was jammed and would not "lift". A little polishing of the surfaces (Remlin apparently machined with a band saw) made the rifle operable.

Simply: REMLIN=JUNK...at any price.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, you mean GunBROKER (singular)...right. Well, I checked on Marlin SBL's under COMPLETED ITEMS (note the plural usage) and found tons of Dark Marlins listed for 2-3K, but showing as "0 bids- listing ended". That would mean UNSOLD to those of us with no knowledge of "gunbrokers".

You could list a Heritage Rough Rider revolver on GunBroker for $2000, but that doesn't mean it will sell for that price.

I did however locate one example that actually sold for $1700- somewhat supporting your claim>>> https://www.gunbroker.com/item/892430757<<<

Still not quite the $2000- $2500 you quoted. Perhaps a listing on "gunbrokers" would get that price?

You can have your Remlins and bastardized Dark's.

If you ever get the chance, compare a JM Marlin to a Remlin for fit/ finish/ and operation. I have worked on Remlin's whose cartridge lifter was jammed and would not "lift". A little polishing of the surfaces (Remlin apparently machined with a band saw) made the rifle operable.

Simply: REMLIN=JUNK...at any price.

I owned thee JM marlins built in the early 2000's. All were a piece of junk. Two 45-70's and one 450 Marlin. All had feeding issues and looked like Stevie Wonder assembled them. The two Remlins I currently own are far superior in how they feed and fit and finish.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Three weeks ago I attended a gun auction and two JM stamped Marlins in 35 Rem. sold for approx. $800 out the door. Both were in decent shape but nothing spectacular.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2282 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote