Find
Notify
Tools

Who has a Browning 71?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Just found one on Gunbroker. Are the Browning/Mirokus tapped on the left of the receiver for a Lyman/Redding rear peep?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are drilled and tapped. The Williams Foolproof peep sight is one you see frequently.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Instructor. I will try to scare up an old steel sight.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill

I put one of the Williams Foolproof reciever sights on my 1895 Winchester TD in 405. It fit the factory drilled and tapped holes perfectly. I did not have to change the front sight.

The Williams sight is Aluminum but it works perfectly.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Tony, I know the aluminum sights from Williams and Lyman are good products. But if I can find some old steel ...

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Billy,
Keep in mind the pros and cons on the Aluminum sight that float on the internet and the rage is sometimes just off the wall BS me thinks!..

I have used the Williams Fool proof for years and never had one break or wear out, but more than that I like the "foolproof" design, as curious finger are not twisting the funny knobs and I have had that happen to many times with the old steel receiver sights, by camp staff in Africa, kids and grand kids, fixer uppers piddling with my sight in, and some of my comical friends that I should have shot years ago but just couldn't do it, at least not yet! Eeker Just another point of view for what its worth.

All that said, the bolt peep on a 71, just looks right, it works, and I get all fuzzy over it..some outfit is making them now, but they are rather expensive, and I can't recall the company.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spoke with a "smith that I believe is in Wisconsin?? and he explained the process to install the bolt peep set up and at something over $400.00 for the job, figured I could manage without it. I prefer a "peep" sight such as the Williams Fool Proof, etc., but did the Turnbull base and Burris Fast Fire "dot" approach. Getting ready to switch to it next day or so and realize not traditional at all, but got to be better than those open sights, especially with my aging eyes.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, you make a good point about not having little knobs for gremlins to fiddle with.
Instructor, we'll see how it goes with my aging eyes; I may be getting to the Fast Fire phase of my life as well.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Took Tony and Ray's advice. Ordered an FP-71 from Brownells. Rifle here in two days ...

hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two 71s. One original with iron sights and a second that was drilled on which I installed a scope. The scope mount is my own design.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bob: Using one of these on your elk hunt?

Cool

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the lower half of a bolt peep off an old 71, and in fact I have another that I'm saving that I picked up at a gunshow some weeks ago..On an earlier 71 some years ago I had a smith solder a Talley or Brownell (?) base to it and slipped a Talley QR peep on it..I also had a fold down rear barrel sight to go with it, so I had a back up sight to go with it.

I will probably install this one on my present gun at some point, but I'm shooting it pretty good with the original barrel sight right now, but at my long age, my eyes seem to be getting a little worse as time goes by, so may need that set up sooner than I think!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
The outfitter I will be with on my elk hunt says most shot opportunities will be beyond 200 yards. I decided that I will be taking my pre-War Model 70 in 375 H&H. I tried to convince my son to take our 375 Ruger African, but he wants to stick with his 30-06 that he is totally familiar with.
I have 270 grain Barnes Originals for my 375 and loaded up 165 Barnes TSX for my son's 30-06.
I did however seriously consider taking the 348 as my primary rifle but think that shots that are way beyond 200 yards would border on being unethical.

Bob Nisbet
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Got it! Good as new and without that *&%$# tang safety! It is already making plans to hunt plains game in Africa ...

hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning 71 with the Turnbull Fastfire. Sighted in last week and will use it as my eastern whitetail rifle this year.

Matt Romagnuolo

Posts: 100 | Location: All over, US Army | Registered: 23 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went to range yesterday w/ Browning 71 and Fast Fire set up and checking zeros. Using those new Hornady Flex Tip 200gr bullets and they shoot very well, but would point out that the sight adjustments on the Fast Fire are very sensitive.
It only takes the very slightest of a turn on those small screws to get a large amount of adjustment. Will have to remove the front sight hood for it turns out once zeroed, the red dot is at the very edge of the hood, confusing, but those hoods were not meant to be used during hunting anyway so not a problem. Deer frequently show up at my range and makes for good sighting practice and that red dot does indeed show up on them.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Instructor, be sure to let us know how the new Hornady .348 "gummy tip" performs on game. Very curious.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman makes a steel site for these called the 66. There is also a company making reproduction model 71 bolt peeps just like the originals. I'll have to do some digging. I gave my brother my Browning 71. I've owned six different original winchesters, and the browning out shot all of them.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a search on AR and found the name and phn# of the outfit that makes reproduction 71 bolt peeps: Frontier Americana in Fargo, ND. Phone is 701 241 4440. Good luck!
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the topic of Browning 71's, just posted my Turnbull base/Fast Fire set up for sale in classified. No question it is a good set up, but always been a "peep sight" shooter and found one from a fine fellow on this site.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try a Skinner sight on my standard grade Browning carbine. Much cleaner look than the side mounted peeps to me.

Posts: 251 | Location: w mt | Registered: 12 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So Billy, be that my new gun? dancing

I stuck a Williams Fool Proof on it, It shoots the 250 gr. factory Silvertip bullets a bit better than the 200 gr. bullets and I'm good with that..It also likes the Woodleigh 250 gr. bullets..The 200 gr. silvertips you sent shoot well with my load, but not quit as good as the 250s..

I am trying to make the 220 gr. Barnes originals shoot in it but it doesn't like them much so far, will be doing some load work with that bullet, its such a good all around choice.

Working up loads and making these old lever guns shoot, is a lot more fun then hog calling or snipe hunt'en..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OldWestGunsights.com sells a reproduction 98A sight. EXPENSIVE!!! But I'll be adding one to my Browning 71 Carbine when I get the disposable income...

Posts: 88 | Location: PNW | Registered: 07 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reverse engineered the "71" Winchester peep sight because I couldn't afford to pay the going price which was around $500 at the time. I had to pay to borrow an original sight to document all the measurements, and create a set of fabrication drawings. I put in over a hundred hours into those drawings. I am willing to make copies upon request, but would ask for a some compensation for my efforts. The drawings cover everything except the patent information.

Bob Nisbet

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
I found a Win. mod. 71 base in my junk, minus the peep itself. Would it be worthwhile to cut the bolt to fit the base and make an original peep for that base...

I did see a neat set up on one mod. 71 I had some time back, the original base had a dove tail solder to it that fit a Talley QD peep and that was neat.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120