THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    WTT Winchester Model 71 Lever Action Rifle for Model 64 Delux
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTT Winchester Model 71 Lever Action Rifle for Model 64 Delux
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Posted today in Gun Classifieds.
Please PM Me If Interested.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am still interested in acquiring a Winchester Model 64 (Basically a Model 94 with Pistol Grip.
It was the first center fire rifle that I wanted to purchase for deer hunting when I moved to Texas in 1967. Problem was when I got to the Downtown Gun Store, owned by Mr Hodge, he only had a nice Winchester Model 71. It was much more gun that I needed, but was so smooth and is such good condition I bought the 71.
I later had a couple of chances to handle and cycle some model 64s and was not impressed at the sloppy action compared to the 71, so I put my "want on hold, and never did get one.
I still have a warm place for th 64 though and a desire to get one pops up every now and then, like now.

Bob Nisbet
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hodge was a dear friend of mine, as well as his son, both are sorely missed, hunted quail and deer with both of them for many years, son Billy had the finest guns in existence, I recall Billy selling a three million dollar shotgun over the phone one day as we were having coffee in his Office..

I have Win mod 64 30-30 Renner special, a SRC with straight grip and proper marked stamp done by Winchester custom shop I believe it was In Renner Hdwe in Oregan..Its marked a 64 and shows the custom shop circle with the W..I only know of one other, and its owned by an AR member also.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I believe Reiner was in Aberdeen WA. That's likely the one who did mine(I'm the other one Ray speaks of) since I don't live that far away.

If you look around you should be able to find a model 64. They still are one of the sweetest deer rifles ever made.

Good luck.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I liked Hodge. On a followup visit while again seeking a Winchester 64, I had brought the 71 I purchased from him. He said he really didn't want to sell the 64, but for me he would flip a coin. If he won, he would get my 71 and if I won I keep the 71 and also get the 64. I decided to pass, because I knew he was one lucky guy and I was usually not lucky.
BTW: What is a Renner 64. You mentioned a streight stock. I thought that a 64 was defined as having a curved pistol grip.

Bob Nisbet

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Way back when folks who had a shot out model 94 would upgrade it with a new model 64 barrel, forend and magazine. Reiner (I can't remember his first name) supposedly had a large supply of them. He did quite a few since they aren't uncommon to find. Jim Wisner here on AR was the one who told the story about Reiner.

Here's mine. It's a 1940 model 94 with a model 64 "front end".

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also it seems that Renner Hardware in Or. was the custom shop for Winchester, therefore they are considered Winchester originals as they have the double winchester stamp on the barrel in front of the action Ive been told...I love mine, its in great condition and shoots great..Ive only seen two in my years but understand a number of them were done..furthermore its a saddle ring carbine conversion/ The barrels are mod. 64 and so marked..and the rifles could be just mod 64 with the double stamp, so no telling how many of those are out there with the double stamp and the owners are unaware..I would try to buy everyone of those I know of..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote