THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Butt pad for Winroku 1895 .405 Takedown
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Butt pad for Winroku 1895 .405 Takedown
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Just picked my rifle up from my dealer this morning. The first thing I want to do is fit a butt pad, first because the factory simply installs a flat, shiny, slippery, plain steel plate. I can hardly keep the butt on my shoulder it is so smooth. Second, I'd like to take the edge of the recoil, not being a bronze-shouldered brute like some of you more manly guys. And an extra half-inch of length of pull would frankly be most welcome. Anyone aware of a pre-fit pad that will work on the 95, or will I have to have a smith grind and fit?
Thanks in advance.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Pretty rifle, congrats.
I have a limb saver pad on my 1895 .405 and I liked it so well that I out one on my Ruger .338 Win Mag. Here is a link to an article on such:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/sims...aver_recoil_pads.htm

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Charles, I have used Limbsavers and have liked them. Did one of their standard pads fit, or did you or a smith have to grind it? Love to know what size worked for you.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
This was a standard size pad installed by the original owner of the rifle and I do not know the size.
For my Ruger, I used a Limbsaver sizing drawing to hold up to the butt of the gun. I removed an old Pachmyer pad and replaced it with the limbsaver - much better!

Sorry , but I no longer have the information or sizing card. You might contact the Limbsaver guys and ask for help on this.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Charles, I'll just pull that steel plate off and take it in to Sportsmans Warehouse.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill

Nice looking 405. tu2

Take a look at the Galco leather recoil pad that uses a flap with velcro to attach it to the rifle.

That way in bad cold and or wet weather, when you are wearing more clothing, you can remove the pad.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Tony, will do, although I have found that most of the slip-on type pads tend to chafe the stock and leave a line. Thanks for the idea, though. Had not thought about Galco.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I uses the red Galco pad with has the Winchester logo on mine. Looks great,works great.

Posts: 251 | Location: w mt | Registered: 12 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle! tu2 I have one just like it, but without a recoil pad. I need to get something on mine as well! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of PatM1
posted Hide Post

I have a "old english" Pachmayr on my 1895.

Posts: 28 | Location: France | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old English Pachmayr, size "small"

Posts: 28 | Location: DFW | Registered: 03 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Diesel, did the small Old English fit without grinding? Bu the way, welcome to AR!

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Just be careful not to get the length of pull too long. I have one marlin I added a pad to that is now too long to easily lever at the shoulder. I have to drop it to lever and reset the gun to fire.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Diesel, did the small Old English fit without grinding? Bu the way, welcome to AR!

Thank you!

It needed to be ground. Also, even though the butt looks flat, it is not. The wood needs to be cut flat before pad installation. Dont forget to re-seal the end grain before screwing the pad on. I can email you a pic of mine if you like, same rifle as yours. Send me your email.

Posts: 28 | Location: DFW | Registered: 03 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fitted a great "Lace On "Leather and padded one that I bought from Buffalo Arms, Didn't have to do a thing, just lace it on...and the rifle is still original..also gives the rifle a bit of a "Western " look..Cheers from OZ..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway sells a red rubber pad with the Winchester logo on it. I put one on my .405. it looks right and stopped the steel buttplate from slipping off my shoulder. It has to be fitted but it was worth the effort.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote