Notify
Tools

Savage 99 - 303 Savage
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted
Anyone can gimme some ideas?
Octagonal receiver/half barrel and end of the barrel round.
Brass rotary.
Also availability of brass
Just acquired it.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are neat old rifles. Had one just like yours, shot very well. Grafs has brass, 30-30 load data is pretty much identical. There's a Savage collector forum on 24hr Campfire, you might want to check in there.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/.../1/Savage_Collectors

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...o_go_till_I_s#UNREAD

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Please don't post a photo of your rifle, as I don't want to drool all over my desk ...

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
As long as your drooling doesn't show up on my screen

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
There is always some disagreement among shooters as to proper bore and bullet diameter, depending on when the rifle was actually built.

My M99 .303 Savage really likes the old original C.I.L. 190 grain RN bullets, which were factory labeled as being ".311 diameter, For the M99 .303 Savage". I use 30-30/.32 Special load data for it and it works great. I'm glad I kept a few of them.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
AC, that 190-grain blue-nose had a legendary reputation on elk and other larger game back in the days before magnumitis grew so virulent. If I ever get back into swaging, that is a bullet I'd like to build.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my 1908 Savage 1899b. It was my great Grandfather's. I have been shooting the Sierra 170 grain flat nose bullets with 30 grains of IMR3031 as of late.....

Posts: 55 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's a gorgeous old Savage, and priceless because of the connection to your grandfather. Don't ever let it go!

– John Green, author