New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope mount for Winchester 1895
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a newer (1992 manufacture) Model 1895 with 3 swappable barrels (270 Win, .30-06 and 375 H/S). I would like to scope one of the barrels (270) but I would first like to hear first-hand about the different methods people have used (scout mount, quarter rib, drill-tap scope mounts to barrel, etc.) I have been told that mounting to the side of the receiver is an option, but I hesitate to do so.

The 270 scope can be permanently attached to the barrel. I may also scope the 375 barrel, but that one would definitely be with quick-detach mounts. If there is anyone with experience with scoping and/or shooting a scoped '95, I would be very interested to hear the positive and negative of the various positions.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Here is the Turnbull fastfire mount for the 71/1886. My guess is it could be fitted to your 1895. I have been thinking on adding one to my Japchester 1895 100th anniversary carbine in 30-06. Currently, I am using a Williams foolproof.

link;
http://www.turnbullmfg.com/pro...-model-1886model-71/

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I have shot a scoped 1895 .405 belonging to an Australian friend of mine. It is a nice implementation and if I can located the thread over on Leverguns,com, I will post a link here.

This subject has come up on that forum multiple times and there have been multiple threads on scoping the Winchester 1895.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Ken,
This link will take you to a thread that has info on two scoped 1895 Winchesters:
http://www.levergunscommunity....&hilit=scope#p730753

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scoped lever actions from the AR archives:

Custom scout mount for Win1871:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...281007802#8281007802

Vintage Win1894 Paul Jaeger:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...851056661#2851056661

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for everyone's input. It is enormously helpful. I am mulling over a few possibilities right now. Current thought is to put a 2-7x variable on the .270 barrel, and a 4x fixed on the 375 barrel. A reasonably priced 4x fixed is hard to find in a scout scope, so I may end up with a 1-4x variable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems a shame to mess with even a new mod. 95 as its destined to be dropped sooner or later and the value will increase big time..Right now the newer model 95 carbine has gone sky high in value..I sold mine for $2500 and paid $1300 only a couple of years ago for it.

If I intended to scope a lever gun, it would be a Sav. 99 first then a Browning BLR, both are factory tapped..but to each his own and only voiceing my opine.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ray:

I am amazed at the resale numbers you quote, but I believe you entirely! Never realized the gun could have appreciated in value that much :-) I bought mine new back in 1992, ordered through an FFL buddy for about $700. It was delivered as a .30-06, and I subsequently took it to ZA, Zimbabwe and Zambia.

I really love the rifle, but having been a bit undergunned in some cases (especially for eland and buffalo) I re-barreled it to .375 Hawk/Scovill. I brought it back to Zim twice after that and I have been very happy with it since. I also managed to acquire a .270 Win barrel along the way, and at some point I put a nicer walnut stock on it.

So far, I have relied entirely (and fairly successfully) on a Williams peep site, but I would like it to be a little more versatile. I am hoping to be in the Eastern Cape for plains game one of these years, and Zimbabwe for (maybe) hippo in the Omay. If I scope the .270 and .375 barrels, I think between the 95 and my 416 I should be covered. BTW - The rifle hardware, as purchased, will remain original with the exception of the peep site. The .30-06 barrel will be in original condition.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ken,
Of course all such decisions have to be those of the poster, and all such following posts consist of just someone elses opinion..

I would love to have a mod. 95 in a 375/62 or even a long throated 405 that will shoot a 400 gr. bullet at 2100 FPS such as Judge Gs gun did in Tanzania..

I can't figure out how to scope one, in that you have top ejection, and only a side mount will work, and it has to be off set, and that's not nice for recoiling rifles and hard to hold steady..barrel mounted scopes are an abortion IMO..I just believe the design of the gun is for the peep sight and for Buffalo etc. is all one needs, as to PG a peep has worked for me, but for elk in the USA and mule deer, you are at a disadvantage..I have the same problem with an old Brno manlicher in 8x57..Its a round top and don't want to D&T the front ring which proves its bonivifide!! a sid mount like G&H is bloody expensive at $1400 and D&T will devalue the origainality of the gun..I stuck an old Refield receiver sight on it, and just decided to live with it..

you have a problem that I have had to live with over the years many times, still haven't figure out the right thing to do..Those Ive messed with, Ive regretted..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would love to have a mod. 95 in a 375/62 or even a long throated 405 that will shoot a 400 gr. bullet at 2100 FPS such as Judge Gs gun did in Tanzania..

Ray,
This is one of the "long throated" .405s that will do what you want with 400 grain Woodleigh bullets. Lengthening the throat costs only $75.

Also, there are some nice scout scope mounts that work well. In fact if you will read this thread carefully you will see links to 1895 scope mounts.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
will shoot a 400 gr. bullet at 2100 FPS such as Judge Gs gun did in Tanzania..

Yes sir that is an awesome buffalo gun, the ballistics are proven over time and in a Win. 95 its the berrys..I have been looking for a saddle ring carbine in 30-06 (the new one now discontinued) and wow! they sure are proud of them..I was thinking a switch barrel in the long throated .405 and maybe a 30-06 or a 405 necked down to a lesser round..Havn't checked the 405 specs to determine what lighter barrel would be best fitted on the switch barreled gun.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
I.have the 1895 405 win teddy Roosevelt commemorative and wish it had a scope on it so I can shoot it way better .I can't shoot targets much over 25,yards with the open sites on it .I paid half price for it because some one pulled the sticker off the Barrel .That gun.Is so fun to shoot ! I.have to hunt with.It..I hope to get my eyes fixed to shoot iron sites alot better !

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
dgr416
Yes, it is a shame to own an 1895 and not be able to fully enjoy it.
Have you determined if a peep sight will work for you? The Williams foolproof on mine allows me to see will enough to hunt with it.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am also not the best with open sights, but I found a red dot sight (in my case the top point of a green triangle) works really well. Here is a post I put up about a year ago showing how I mounted a Trijicon site.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...591084712#7591084712

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive been blessed with good eye sight at my age. I am good to 200 yards on game, and even 300 yards under ideal conditions with a good peep sight and a gold faced Partridge post from NECG..

A scope on a 95 or any top ejecting Winchester is just something I personally can't deal with.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120