New
Find
Notify
Tools

45/70 load for Miroku 1886
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have a pet load using IMR 4198 and a 420 grain hard cast gas checked bullet? Looking for a starting point. These loads will be for a Miroku 1886 with 26 inch octagon barrel. Thanks.

Posts: 136 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
HOMEBREW,
I SHOOT AN 1886 WITH 26 INCH BARREL, BUT NOT CAST BULLETS.
MY BEST SUGGESTION IS FOR YOU TO CHECK LOAD DATA SOURCES SUCH AS LYMAN AND THEN PICK ONE AND WORK UP YOUR DESIRED LOAD.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Powders in the 4198 burn range are very suitable and flexible in the 45/70. You can load down to Trapdoor pressure levels or load to heavy lever gun pressure levels.

A good source of load data for IMR, WW and Hodgdon powders is the reloading section of the Hodgdon site.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Those Miroku 45/70 rifles are tightly throated, so make sure the bullet fits before loading a whole heap of them.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Those Miroku 45/70 rifles are tightly throated, so make sure the bullet fits before loading a whole heap of them.

That's a fact, Jack! Like CRS says, check your OAL very carefully. I load for several gubmints and my Miroku loads have to be carefully marked as '1886'.

You didn't really say what level load you were looking for. That rifle can handle mild to rip snorting. Early on, I loaded heavy loads for mine and rapid fired five of them in front of my SIL. I then tried to get him to shoot it. He never uncrossed his arms when I offered him the rifle and simply said, "I just watched that thing kick your azz five times in a row....I ain't about to shoot it!". I took the rest of those loads home and broke them down. They wusn't fun...

Posts: 229 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles. I had the lightweight version and needed to trim the brass back a bit to chamber the Hornady 350gr RN.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If bullets won’t chamber when loaded to the crimp groove, just buy a Lee FCD and crimp them where they do chamber and cycle in the action.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Another angle on crimping is that Hornady brass is shorter. Keeping it short I can crimp Woodleigh 405-grain bullets with the ordinary die.

Posts: 4957 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do have the Lee FCD. After a little research I'll start with 38 grains IMR 4198, 420 grain hard cast bullet, Starline brass & Remington 9 1/2 primer. Work up from there. I would think up to 41.5 grains or so should be safe. Will keep eyes open for pressure signs.

Posts: 136 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
A good companion to this site when one wants to see lead projie info is

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote