New
Find
Notify
Tools

WSM Rimmed, anyone?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just a thought [see my post on small-bore cats]. How cool would it be for Winchester to put out a new 71 in 30, 35 and 45 calibers? The 45 would be nothing less than the 45 Alaskan; imagine buying that off the shelf.
Man, these guys could pull the rug out from under Marlin fast!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Yeah, its called the 348 Winchester case. But, leave it to marketing people to reinvent the wheel unnecessarily just to push the "latest and greatest".

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trudge through Ackley's books and you will find they have already been developed. No R&D work required, just chamber up the barrels and screw them onto M1886 clones. Would work well in a special edition.

USRAC (Winchester) is too infested with accountants and MBA's to have any forward thinking for product development, much less a knowledge of what has been done in the past, what can be done with the excellent M71 and M1886 rifles, and most of all, what the gun world wants.

They could sell them for $2500 or more each, a special run of rifles dedicated to Parker Ackley.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana-be,

I'm with you. The 71 Browning, made in Japan, is a fine piece of steel.

If Winchester would just legitimze the 450 AK, they would surely would make some bucks.

As to your cartridge line-up, add the 416.

John, whoa.... don't give the bottom line boys any ideas on costing. They would start out with twenty five hundred, and sales would die. Keep the cost level for the average shooter in line with their checkbooks. It would catch on real fast that way.

By the way, maybe we could get them to design a scope system for the 71, so us old farts with poor sight systems could benefit.HI

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd take a 416, but their's a lot more FP bullets available for the 3 I mentioned.
Maybe 375, but that would seem redundant with the 35 cal. Maybe .411 would sell?
John, If they did it for $1200, they might sell more than twice as many.
And if they won't do it (and we know they won't) then some enterprising gunsmith should jump in, offer a conversion on customer's gun. Charge $500 + barrel.
I'll have my 30 (165g@2900) with a thin-as-will-work full octagon, finished at 26" with peepers. The 35 (225@2550) will be my truck carbine, and the 45 (450@2200) will be my varminter. These Neutrias out here are HUGE!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote