New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 94s
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Did they ever make an accurate pre 64 model 94. I have two and with every single bit of adjustment possible they still shoot way nigh and way to the left. Both of them!!!!!

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I am no expert, but I do have one. It was recently acquired, so I have not yet shot it.

It is 118 years old, and my spare time has been consumed lately in scraping and scratching accumulated carbon off and out of it.

I do note, however, that the sights are adjustable, to some extent.

Perhaps you can drift the rear sight to the right. Is it on the lowest setting? If so, a higher front sight would seem to be in order.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13313 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have 6 now and have had at least a dozen more; all either just pre war or up to 1962 vintage.
None are as bad as yours.
Come over and we can shoot some; 30 WCF, 30-30, and 32 special.
I forgot; I have a 44 mag, like 1979 vintage, and had another one years ago.
They do respond well to a peep sight.

Posts: 17035 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 32 Special and it's very accurate for a 94. I shoot a lot of cast from it too. Another great cast cartridge.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I won a biggest buck hunting contest and the prize was a new 1894 Winchester 30-30.

At the time, I was very happy with my pre 64 M70 Fwt in .308 and did not need another 30 cal rifle, so I traded the 94 for a Ruger 77 .243 for my wife. We still have that .243 and it has been a training rifle for kids, grandkids and a prairie dog/varmint rifle and loaner deer rifle. It still shoots sub moa with 100 grain ammo.

I have models 1886, 1892, 1895 but no 1894 - just skipped over that one. Still very happy with M70!!!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 first year of production mod. 94 and one early 94/64 Renner special, that is a SRC with mod 64 barrel/forend etc...The 4 diget trapper shoot an inch with irons almost every time; the 25-35 Win shoots 1.5 to 2 inches and I recently shot a 3 inch group 10 shots with a handload at 100..The 92, 38-40 rifle shoots a consistent 3 inches at 100..These IMO are damned accurate rifles, all but the Renner are family guns...Stop by and we'll go shoot, I love to show them off..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the wrong word. I should not have said accurate in the sense that the groups are fine. Its just that with all of the adjustments available they still both shoot very very high and to the left.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Lindy, just how high and far to the left are we talking?

A higher front sight, set to the left, and a drift against the l/h side of the rear one might well fix your problem, even if you need to file some off the bits of dovetail hanging out. If not, I'd be surprised if a receiver sight could not fix the windage. If that doesn't do it, I'd be wondering if at least one barrel has been bent and whether a gunsmith could straighten it.

Posts: 4911 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
..too the 'way" left means you probably don't have enough adjustment in your sights but you need to move your rear sight to the left or front sight to the right..and maybe split the difference between the two..

to lower impact lower the rear sight or elevate front sight and again perhaps split the difference to keep sight in center of barrel once sighted in.

In some cases to keep sights near center position a little bit of both will get that done in other words.

The above is time consuming but a one time fix. and it can get pretty complicated unless you have done it many times.

That said, and it will work, your problem would be easier to handle if you invested in a receiver sight on the tang or action if rifle is d & t for peep..Use a square post front sight that can be filed down as you go, and keep everything as low as possible..

I sight irons in at 12 yards starting, then test fire at 100 going for 2 or 3 inches high and dead on at 150 and about 5 or 6 inches low at 300...Makes the old 30-30 a fairly flat shooter..I have 4 30-30s and one 25-35..I love to hunt with them and much prefer the receiver sight or a shallow V on the barrel withthe front sight sighted in to show the post even with the ears such as on a pistol sight. hope Im clear on this, if not give me a call or email.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote