New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 1895 lever conversion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Marlin 1895M with a straight grip stock. Does anybody know if it can be converted to pistol grip with just a change of the finger lever. I see lots of different models with parts similar/different between 1895 and 336. Any info would be appreciated.

Posts: 1122 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Finally a question I know. I have converted many Marlins to straight grips, from PGs. Ok, the lower tangs on the PGs and the straight grips are all the same on the inside, but they are not the same externally. The PG ones follow the shape of the grip, so while you could certainly install a PG lever and stock on a straight grip tang, you would have a big recess in the stock. Which I suppose you could fill with bubble gum, but really, you will need a PG lower tang to make it right.
Conversely, you can make a straight grip tang from a PG one by milling off the curved part. Be careful as early rifles have the serial numbers only there.
Levers for the 95 are unique however; the cuts for cartridge feeding are different. Smaller caliber levers can be modified though.
Having said that, straight grips are cooler and leave it alone.
As for your actual question, putting a PG lever on a straight grip stock, the answer is, yes. And it will look funny. But yes.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a 1974 45-70. Do you still have left over parts that would work? Obviously the stock wouls be changed as well. I have a bunch of 2 piece stock blanks, just cooking up future projects.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok; the real question is; what parts are required to convert a straight grip Marlin to Pistol Grip.
Lever
Lower tang
Butt stock.
I have 336 parts but no 95s.
However, those early 95s are best left as is; trade it for a PG model.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Tom, kinda on the subject. I need a replacement pistol grip buttstock for my Marlin 39. Do you know of a source you would recommend?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Straight grip Marlins, be it 336 or 95 tend to sell for more $$ than pistol grip versions.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True, And especially the ones made in 73-74; they have a unique butt shape and curved plastic butt plate, and are collectable. At least the ones I had were like that. Early ones had the 6 or 8 groove rifling, later ones had 12. Called Micro Groove and so marked, but they never were.
Those early ones should not be altered.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't get the correct parts so won't happen. Not a collectable just and old war horse.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try looking over on marlinowners forum.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a super nice 1971 or 72 Marlin 45-70 that I just bought, but then a win. mod 71 showed up in 348 IMP, so I might sell the Marlin?? who knows.Ive been told this model Marlin fetches a good price? Would anyone care to clue me into a fair price for such a gun..If I can make a little I'll probably sell it..If not I'll just keep both..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I have a super nice 1971 or 72 Marlin 45-70 that I just bought, but then a win. mod 71 showed up in 348 IMP, so I might sell the Marlin?? who knows.Ive been told this model Marlin fetches a good price? Would anyone care to clue me into a fair price for such a gun..If I can make a little I'll probably sell it..If not I'll just keep both..

I just sold my 72 (1st year 1895) with BO serial number for $1200. last month. It was in very good condition but not a safe queen, I hunted with it many years. Retail was $185.00 in 72 but I bought it for $150. + tax.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see two on GI, one for $1800 and the other for $2200...No mention of BO on either, and they are the same gun I have!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Look at the serial # on the top tang----it should start with BOxxxxxx for a 1972 model.

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HIPSHOT AND OTHERS,

Serial number on the top tang is 21070626..NO bo but seller said 1971 or 72 ??

It weighs exactly 8 lbs has a 22" barrel, front sight is dovetailed into the barrel...has a williams peep, d&T for scope, straight grip 3/4 short magazine tube..

I think Id prefer this compact little Marlin 45-70 to a heavy winchester big bore, if I made a living trapping or hunting and fishing in Brown bear country, which I don't..so I think a Win. 71 would be more suitable for me and my yearly cow elk in easy country..Maybe a mule deer or two and definatly a few Texas whitetail..

I ordered 100 Acme bullet company 45-70 lazer cast and coated red with ? a flat point, 350 gr. bullet to try...so what would be a good hunting load in that its a hard cast bullet..

Are Hornaday 350 available, I need to go on the search for a good game bullet...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
A good load for me is 42 gr. H4198 with a 350 gr. cast gas check vel. ?

or 44gr. Imr 4198 with the same cast GC for 1845 fps.

I have a chart for mfg. dates but can't figure out when yours was made.

You might go to marlinowners.com and check there, that is where I got the chart.

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
If I'm reading this chart right a serial # starting with 21 was manufactured in 1979.

Hip

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, I was going by what the seller told me..Wonder what the difference is between 1972 and 79, any changes?? snappy little bugger on the butt end but shootable..killing power for DG and recoil go together, if one can't handle recoil, they best not
hunt DG..that,s a given. faint

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They changed rate of twist in the 1895's.
I don't know to what or why.

DPCD knows PM him---he will tell you!

Hip