THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Who's the right guy for this job..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's the right guy for this job..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Im kinda leaning towards having my 348 mod 71 changed over to the 375/348..Tell me about the recoil, and who will do the best job..Im not much on wildcats but this sounds like a dandy, or perhaps just a 348 IMP. if its worth it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just be aware that Hornady has recently dropped 348 cal bullets from their line up. They dropped the 375 cal 220 gr FN from their line up a few years back. Hornady bullets were very popular for those levergun calibres.

Before you decide what to do you really need to work out what bullets you’re going to use. This will likely influence your decision.

An improved 348 case necked up to 375 in a 71 would go close to your desired 9.3x62 / 375H&H performance level.

Posts: 498 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To start with does your barrel shoot well as is? My M71 is one of the most inaccurate rifles I have ever owned. I have tried every powder-bullet combo I can think of. I am thinking seriously about a rebarrel. A .35-.348 Imp. or a .375 might just be wonderful.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to price out the dies before you make any decisions,the custom dies for my 416/348 IMP cost me $500.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JFE:
Just be aware that Hornady has recently dropped 348 cal bullets from their line up.

Darn it! I really liked these for the .348. Glad to know it though.

Ray, I'm not sure what smiths are focused on lever guns anymore. Wild West Guns seems to mostly do Marlins, but might be worth calling. Also, you might use the barrel company to do the re-barrel. McGowen says they do 1886's, so I imagine they'd do a 71.

I like the .348 Win as is (though it seems bullets are getting scarce). But the .358/.348 Improved is the conversion that seems coolest to me. A little more velocity and a much wider bullet selection. You still maintain the moderately flat trajectory of the .348 compared to any other lever gun but have a little more horsepower on tap.

Posts: 1716 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Barnes still makes good bullets for the .348 WCF and perhaps Woodleigh if Im not mistaken, and Woodleighs would be excellent Im sure..
The 71 isn't know for being designed for sucking up recoil, Im curious as to the recoil of a 348/375 IMP..or even the 348 IMP with heavy 250 gr. bullets?? At 85 Im starting to take that into consideration, I can handle my 375 Ruger but its designed to absorb recoil a bit better than a lever action Win. I suspect. what say ya'all ???

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Ray,
It is your idea and rifle, but please move slowly. It would be a shame to mess up a M71.

I have never owned a M71, but fired one and am convinced they are good rifles. I just never had a need for the the .348 cartridge.

I have M92 .357, m95 .405, 1886 .45-90 and doubles in .405 and 45-70. Not much I cannot kill with this battery.

Maybe you should just go hunting???

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a pre-war Model 71 that was converted to 450 Alaskan several years ago. It is my favorite rifle for timber hunting. I like the balance of the Model 71 much better than the Model 95. I do not find the recoil a problem from a standing position but I would not want to shoot it many shots from a bench rest. The 450 Alaskan version that I have is very similar to the Ackley version.

A friend has a Model 71 that was converted to 348 AI. The recoil is not bad at all. Considerably less than the 450 with 400 gain bullets.

Posts: 251 | Location: Newport, WA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock design of the 71 has never been known to be comfortable, even in 348 Win. The post war short tang models had the point of the comb moved forward, crowding the grip somewhat. The 1886 pistol grip stock, with their more open grip, had a better comb and grip design IMO and are more comfortable under recoil.

I had the buttstock of my B-71 revised and it is now much more comfortable to use. If you are going to increase the recoil of the 71 I think you should consider revising the stock design. When Turnbull builds his heavy recoilers on a 71 he uses an improved stock design.

While there are still plenty of good bullet options for the 348, Hornady dropping their 200Gr FN and FTX bullets is a blow to 348 users. The FTX bullet with it’s better ballistics, in effect improved the regular 348’s down range performance.

Posts: 498 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to the price of dies these days its a good idea to send your dies to a good smith who can soften then rechamber them with the same reamer he used on your gun, then re-harden them again, they are made to order fit and they cost your $35.00 as a rule.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Hawk still makes .348" bullets, five weights of flat points from 165 gr to 270 gr. I've used their bullets in several diameters and they work well at non-magnum velocities.

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw an old Handloader magazine article by Dave Scoville where the user of a 375 Alaskan used Speer Grand Slams. He trimmed the nose to flat profile just enough for proper safe function. I hear the 375 Grand Slams were recently discontinued. It’s a crappy thing for me to say, but at your age a few boxes of those Grand Slams would likely last you until the end. If you were to call up Dave at Wolf publishing, down in Prescott, he knows as much about all of the 348 based wildcats as anyone. He is semi-retired now, but it probably won’t be too hard to get ahold of him.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3271 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Two points;
Using a chamber reamer to make a sizing die will not work; it is way too big.
And; forget the 348; make it a 338 on the same case. Or use the 33 WCF. Or make a 338-06 on a 95; lots of better options.

Posts: 17013 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I think your Original Question has been answered and that answer is dpcd!

Now, we can go on to another subject ! Smiler

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Colorado Matt,
Gotcha, at my age I had the wisdom to buy 20 boxes of Grand slam 375s for $12. a box, so guess Im gonna outlive all you guys!! :rotflmo.

I;ll probably go with the 375/348 if I ever decide to change i, I have a ton of 348 brass and lots of loaded 348 ammo that I can salvage brass, powder, and cases from..but I bought a lot of .348 bonded core 250 gr. Kodiak bullets..and that makes a lot of difference IMO as to a capable elk rifle..Call it a project on the table as for now.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Colorado Matt,
Gotcha, at my age I had the wisdom to buy 20 boxes of Grand slam 375s for $12. a box, so guess Im gonna outlive all you guys!! :rotflmo.

I;ll probably go with the 375/348 if I ever decide to change i, I have a ton of 348 brass and lots of loaded 348 ammo that I can salvage brass, powder, and cases from..but I bought a lot of .348 bonded core 250 gr. Kodiak bullets..and that makes a lot of difference IMO as to a capable elk rifle..Call it a project on the table as for now.

Two points:

1. Dang, I only bought 10 boxes of the 285 GS. I guess you got more time left than me!
2. If you stray from the 348 and you want to sell those Kodiaks, PM me!

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tarbie,
I did sell the .348 and the 5 boxes of the Kodiak bullets, I advertised on AR, and today I read your post! sorry about that.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Tarbie,
I did sell the .348 and the 5 boxes of the Kodiak bullets, I advertised on AR, and today I read your post! sorry about that.

As is so often the case, I am a day late and a dollar short!

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Those HAWK bullets are really a good thing. Try a sample of them. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used them in the old winchesters and they work just fine..I used them in my 7x57, 308 and they all blew up like a bomb on game, a massive failure, I called and advised he should bond the cores, he was incenced! Roll Eyes faint

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
brockman