THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Accurizing Marlin 1895 GBL 45-70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurizing Marlin 1895 GBL 45-70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I inherited a Marlin 1895 GBL in 45-70. It has a big loop, beautiful gun. I took it to the range and didn't get the results that I was looking for. Can anyone recommend upgrades so as to make it shoot tighter groups?
I'm looking to use it as a Hog Gun and I prefer to get my gun in the condition that I need so that it can perform.
Thanks for your time gentlemen.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Well a good place to start is with the loads you fed it. Just try something else and see what it does. What kind of accuracy were you getting?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am getting 6 inch groups. Every now and then I hear of people getting their Lever Actions worked on. One of them is putting a peep sight.
I didn't know if crowning the barrel would help as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6 inch groups at 50 yards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Open sites? If so (and not to be rude at all), how comfortable/proficient are you with them? 6" groups off of the bench, or off hand?

You also said inherited, has the bore been cleaned?

My 1895 clover leafs three rounds of factory 300gr winchesters at 100 with a 2.5x scope. That opens up to about 4" with the factory leverlution stuff. What are you shooting through it?

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Inspect the rifling. I have a stainless Marlin 1895 that came from the factory with a bore that was so smooth I like to say it had nano-grove rifling. No matter what I did I couldn't get it to group any better than yours. For the record, the barrel is stamped JM.

I received it in a deal that there was no going back on. I knew it had to have another barrel and it became the test bed for my .405 Grenadier wildcat. Now it has a McGowen barrel in that caliber and is a wonderful, accurate shooting rifle.

I suggest you check the bore. Your rifle may have the same nano-groove rifling mine came with.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Texas57,
Please report back AFTER you thoroughly clean the bore(Hoppes, wire brush, patches, over and over) and let all know how it goes.

Why? Even fouling you cannot see can reduce accuracy. My daughter had two scoped rifles (Savage 110 .243 and WBY Mark V 7mm WBY mag ) that shot 6 inch groups at 100 yards from a bench rest. I spent about 1-2 hours cleaning the bores and they now shoot less than minute of angle.
Good luck with your new rifle.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
You should be getting much better groups than that. Something is haywire.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen. I will work at it until I am satisfied. Have a blessed hunting season.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Dang Pete,now it looks like I will be loading 45-70 for you along with everything else.We can improve that performance.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If it's a microgroove barrel (it is usually stamped on the outside where you can read it) then slug the bore. Many (Most?) Marling 45/70 microgroove barrels are oversized. Mine slugs out at .459. The usual commercial bullets are .457 and will rattle around as it goes up the barrel.

Posts: 1 | Location: Derby UK | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
A GBL isn't microgrooved. It has Ballard rifling.

A thorough cleaning and check to make sure everything is tight would be a good way to start. Then try other types of ammo.

My GBL shoots 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards with a peep sight and old eyes pretty consistently. I'm sure a scope would improve that even more.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Yup. Clean the barrel, try it again, and switch ammo, at least a few times.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Also not to be overlooked is to make sure everything is tight on the gun. Check screws, sights, forend, etc.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
99 percent of cases like this are the sights and shooter; open sights are hard to use especially if you are seasoned in age. Get a peep sight. I guarantee your groups will improve.
Also, ammo; what ammo are you using; if you are pushing lead bullets too fast, then that is it. Any Marlin will shoot better than 6 inch groups at 50 yards.
Also,, NO Marlin was ever made with Microgroove rifling. None. True, they are marked on the barrel as such, but that was done by idiots in marketing. The rifling was always, and is, standard rifling; the number of grooves varied, but none of them had microgroove. I have had all of them from the 1973 6 groove.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote