New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What Range to zero?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I usually set up a .22 RF to zero at 75 yards, for hunting.

Posts: 14372 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What are your opinions on what range to zero a scope for a a 22LR and a 22Mag?

Well, that depends on the range at which you intend to use them.

Fifty yards is about right for the .22LR for typical uses. While its trajectory path with a scoped rifle may put it very close to the same at 25 yards, use the fifty yard range for the actual zero since it may be difficult to detect small errors at only 25 yards. But be careful to do your 50 yard shooting on a calm day -- a .22LR is very subject to wind drift at 50 yards. If you zero for much more than fifty yards, your mid-range trajectory may be far enough above the line-of-sight to cause misses on small targets at about 40 yards or so, which is why I recommend no more than about a 50 yard zero.

Seventy-five yards pretty well fits the .22 WMR the same way. If you stretch the zero to 100 yards, your bullet path may be higher than desireable at 70-80.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago we built an indoor shooting range here where I live with a shooting distance is 50 Feet. I often wondered how the trajectory of our .22 LR's would be when zeroed at 50 feet. I chronographed the preferred ammo in my Ruger K77/22VBZ, and then ran a Ballistics Chart with the zero at 50 feet using my Ballistics Program.

According to the Ballistics Program, zeroed at 50 yards my .22 LR Ammo would again be at zero at 65 yards. This gives me roughly a 1" Midrange Trajectory. I have tested this out on several occasions by actually shooting at the different distances, and it is right on for the most part.

I have used this zero for several years after discovering it, and for the small varmint hunting I use my .22 LR's for it works quite well.

Larry

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Most of my .22 rinfire hunting has been on squirrels. I find a 35 yard zero to be optimum. On my .22 mag I use 75.

quote:
Originally posted by SDHandgunner:
Several years ago we built an indoor shooting range here where I live with a shooting distance is 50 Feet. I often wondered how the trajectory of our .22 LR's would be when zeroed at 50 feet. I chronographed the preferred ammo in my Ruger K77/22VBZ, and then ran a Ballistics Chart with the zero at 50 feet using my Ballistics Program. <br /><br />According to the Ballistics Program, zeroed at 50 yards my .22 LR Ammo would again be at zero at 65 yards. This gives me roughly a 1" Midrange Trajectory. I have tested this out on several occasions by actually shooting at the different distances, and it is right on for the most part. <br /><br />I have used this zero for several years after discovering it, and for the small varmint hunting I use my .22 LR's for it works quite well. <br /><br />Larry

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reckon it depends on all above and don't forget the accuracy of the rifle.
A common standard is about 1" high at 50y on about 75y and 3 to 4" low at 100. But it's no good shooting at small game at 100y if you/your rifle/ammo can't shoot that well.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote