Find
Notify
Tools

Results with my 17 HMR
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
Set my table up on the back porch and fired an assortment of 17 HMR ammo through my RAR 17. The A17 seemed to be the best and that is what I zeroed it with. I like this rifle very much now that I got some ammo for it, LOL.

Edited to add: Groups shot @ 50yds.

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Somebody out there has to have better groups than this, I know they are nothing special but I just wanted to show how my RAR 17 HMR did. Maybe you guys should check it out, be a good excuse to buy a new rifle.

Steve......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

one of us
posted Hide Post
RAR 17 is Ruger American Rifle in 17 HMR, right?

My 17 HMR is one of the old left handed CZ 452's. It shoots really well at 100yds also, as long as it's not windy. Mine really likes the Hornady loaded with 20 grain xtp's.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I did not respond because I wasn't sure I should! I have a CZ 452 (?) that is very accurate with two or three different types of ammo. I will have to find the targets though. Now, you did not specify the range the targets were shot at. I shot mine at 50 yards. Not sure if I shot at 100. I might have.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My savage 93 bolt 17 HMR
Will shoot 1/2 inch groups or better at 50 yards off my bench and good sand bags - 24 power scope ...

Deadly on crows in the back field ..:-)

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that, I shot the groups @50 yd's like my 22 lr's. I did sight it in for about 1 inch high at 50 yd's. I do like to see targets in 17 HMR and 22 lr for that matter even if they thrash mine (which they usually do).
Rifles inside a given brand are generally about even on accuracy (there are exceptions of course)it comes down to ammo and expertise (which I lack) of the shooter.
To me it seems like the 17 HMR is much more accurate than most 22 lr's.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure I agree with your assessment of the accuracy of the 22lr. The BR 50 exercise a few years ago showed just how accurate the 22lr could be, and, the limitations of the ammunition.
I see the 17HMR as competing with the 22mag. both in accuracy and in long range hunting effectiveness.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I guess both calibers are about equal in accuracy. My 40X (22 lr) will out shoot my 17 HMR (it's not a target rifle) by a great margin in fact it out shoots most anything by a great margin. I only have one 22 mag now and it is decently accurate. I am liking the 17 HMR more as it goes along. Is there a 17 HMR bullet that has destruction of small game to about the same as a round nose 22 lr? I have had no experience with the CCI Small Game Bullet.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I have very limited experience. I've shot 2 rabbits and 2 foxes. Shots were 50 to 80 yards, with the Hornady 20gr xtp bullet. The 20gr loading was added since the 17gr apparently was an inconsistent killer on slightly larger small game (foxes, groundhogs).

The bullet did a fair amount of damage internally on the rabbits, but not a huge wound hole and no exit, if you are wondering about saving pelts.

HTH
Steve

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Kind of wondering about the damage on tree rats, looks like a head shot is a must with the 17 HMR.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Years ago I got a Marlin 17vs, sighted it in, and shot
two three shot groups at 50yds. One was 1/4" and the
other was 3/8". Haven't shot for groups since and just
use it to kill stuff. The ammo used was Hornady 17gr.
Good idea on head shots for squirrel or rabbit although
broad side through the rib cage doesn't ruin much meat.

Our independence is dying.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
You had some real good groups, both grains of the Hornady ammo didn't seem to do as good as the other brands in my rifle. CCI & Federal did the best for me. Man I wish this ammo famine would end or at least ease up.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran