New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eley Edge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anybody tried this stuff? What results? & in what?

Posts: 111 | Location: Humboldt County, California | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I tried a couple lots of Edge alongside half a dozen test lots of Match in my Suhl 150 benchrest rifle a couple of weeks ago. The Edge shot mid-pack with the Match but wasn't close to the best lot of Match.

The Suhl has a factory 1:16.5" twist barrel and I had no issues chambering or ejecting rounds. It sounds like factory-chambered guns will be fine but some custom match chambered barrels may have issues.

I shot 10 3-shot groups (30 rounds total) per lot #, at 50 yards indoors.

In my opinion, after a little bit of testing it would be fine for informal target shooting or practice, but I probably won't use it in competitions.

I will say- it does catch your eye. The marketing team at Eley knows what they are doing...

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterman:

I ordered a brick to try in a 513T, will know more after this month's ARA benchrest shoot...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14372 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's priced right for its performance... You'll still need Match (or better) to max out performance. Eley does know how to market.

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dampatents:
It's priced right for its performance... You'll still need Match (or better) to max out performance. Eley does know how to market.

This is very, very true.

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Evan,

May I ask why you shot 3 shot groups rather than 5 shot groups?

I am running tests on all the ammo we have - including the Eley Edge. But I am shooting 5, 5shot groups at 50, 75 and 100 yards.

Sometimes I get 2-3 shot of a group that go into one hole, and the other two go separate ways.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I usually test at least six different lot #s of Match at a time and start with 30 rounds from each. I do all of my testing indoors at 50 yards. That allows me to initally rule out what is obviously not shooting best and likewise find the test lots that warrant more investigation. At that point I may shoot several boxes' worth before deciding which I should buy more of. No doubt there is more variation in 5 shot groups vs. 3, but in the end I am shooting 30 rounds per lot and that is an overall larger sample size than 25 rounds.

Another reason is I can (usually) discern three bullet holes in a very tight group, but with four or five you can "lose" one in the group and that will limit some of the analysis.

I am still learning how to shoot rimfire benchrest, so this is just what works for me today. My ammo testing is limited by budget and range time- if I could, I'd shoot an entire brick of a test lot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan Killough will have the Edge any day.
http://www.killoughshootingspo...ex.php/ammo.html?p=5
Dan is a real pleasure to deal with. I just call and get on his list. He ships as it comes in and buddies don't jump you on his list.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got another brick of Eley Edge yesterday, had to order it and wait. It's enough for me and the 513T. I won the occasional target in ARA sporter class with it this summer, mostly I need to improve my wind shooting before considering a move to more expensive stuff.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14372 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Same here Tom... I am not overly concerned whether or not my rifle is 100% perfectly tuned because the minute difference in performance will likely be wiped out by my skills!

I still have a few boxes of Edge and will probably feed it to my sporter rifles (CZ 452 and Ruger 10/22) for fun target shooting and small game.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
50,000 Eley Edge delivered.

The kids love shooting them - may be because of the black cases.

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

They are probably too young to remember the Federal Ultra Match 22 LR that came in very similar boxes.

TomP

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:

How has it been performing for you? The black cases did get some looks at the range when I was shooting Edge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in a rural area in California. By the time I pay shipping charges & the various surcharges some mail-order dealers impose, I can purchase Eley Match by the case (including shipping) from another dealer or Tenex by the box over the counter for the same per-box price as Edge. The vendors have priced Edge out of consideration.

Posts: 111 | Location: Humboldt County, California | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I live in a rural area in California. By the time I pay shipping charges & the various surcharges some mail-order dealers impose, I can purchase Eley Match by the case (including shipping) from another dealer or Tenex by the box over the counter for the same per-box price as Edge. The vendors have priced Edge out of consideration.

Different circumstances, maybe. I had a local rifle shop order the brick, and there would have been a substantial percentage difference. I assume he paid shipping on that and whatever else he was getting that week.

TomP

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Evan K.:
quote:

How has it been performing for you? The black cases did get some looks at the range when I was shooting Edge.

Evan,

It shoots very well in some rifles.

I will post results soon.

I have shot lots of rounds, and have the results on paper.

I have engaged a friend's son to put all that on computer when he gets a break from his school work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had the opportunity to shoot some in a nice rifle at an ARA benchrest shoot over the weekend, won one target with it.

TomP

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:

I had the opportunity to shoot some in a nice rifle at an ARA benchrest shoot over the weekend, won one target with it.

Nice job, what kind of rifle were you shooting? I wish I could shoot benchrest outdoors this time of year too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nice job, what kind of rifle were you shooting? I wish I could shoot benchrest outdoors this time of year too.

This is a little embarrassing. I don't know where the components came from, just that the rifle is for sale and the two targets I shot were both better than the best I've shot with the 513T. I'll find out some more this week, I am falling to temptation to buy it.

TomP

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Here is the weight distribution of 100 rounds of Eley EDGE.

50.7 - 3
50.8 - 4
50.9 - 8
51.0 - 9
51.1 - 19
51.2 - 24
51.3 - 7
51.4 - 16
51.5 - 5
51.6 - 4
51.7 - 1

Here is the weight distribution of the Eley TENEX.

50.9 - 1
51.0 - 17
51.1 - 62
51.2 - 20

I will add weight distribution to all the ammo I have tested.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:This is a little embarrassing. I don't know where the components came from, just that the rifle is for sale and the two targets I shot were both better than the best I've shot with the 513T. I'll find out some more this week, I am falling to temptation to buy it.

Must have been fun shooting it, I know the feeling. I was spoiled by a nice Turbo rifle at the first benchrest match I went to. I'd like to see it if you get it!

quote:
Here is the weight distribution of 100 rounds of Eley EDGE.

50.7 - 3
50.8 - 4
50.9 - 8
51.0 - 9
51.1 - 19
51.2 - 24
51.3 - 7
51.4 - 16
51.5 - 5
51.6 - 4
51.7 - 1

Here is the weight distribution of the Eley TENEX.

50.9 - 1
51.0 - 17
51.1 - 62
51.2 - 20

I will add weight distribution to all the ammo I have tested.

Sounds good, I am not too surprised the Tenex is more consistent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:This is a little embarrassing. I don't know where the components came from, just that the rifle is for sale and the two targets I shot were both better than the best I've shot with the 513T. I'll find out some more this week, I am falling to temptation to buy it.

Must have been fun shooting it, I know the feeling. I was spoiled by a nice Turbo rifle at the first benchrest match I went to. I'd like to see it if you get it!

I found out a couple of details. It's a Baity Falcon, nice rifle and oh my, did it shoot...

TomP

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Sounds great, some of the best shooters around here use Falcon rifles. Congrats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up 4 boxes of Edge, when it was available, and tried it in my very old Anschutz. At 50y it shoots about as well as the old Federal gold medal ultra-match, which is very good. Today I got around to chronographing some and was surprised that the avg. velocity (35 shots) was only 1005 fps out of my 26" bbl, with a maximum deviation of 38 fps. Now I have to pick up some 10x and see how that behaves.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds great, some of the best shooters around here use Falcon rifles. Congrats.

I shot the Falcon Sunday with Eley Edge, won a couple of targets. There was a new guy there with a sporter-class rifle built by Bill Calfee, shot better than the unlimited class rifles. This is going to be an interesting summer at ARA...

TomP

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Congrats TomP, nice shooting. Have much of that Edge left? It is amazing what some can do with those sporter-class rifles, putting my 10 lb. Suhl to shame.

I'm shooting my first IR 50/50 match of the year this Saturday morning, forecasted high temp is 49 degrees. We'll see if the ammo that shot really well in 70-80 degree temps can keep it together in cooler conditions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congrats TomP, nice shooting. Have much of that Edge left?

Three boxes left, time to order another brick...

TomP

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Congrats TomP, nice shooting. Have much of that Edge left?

Three boxes left, time to order another brick...

Yep, I know the feeling... 11 1/2 boxes left of my best black box.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where to order, please?

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Check my post earlier in this thread.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butchlambert, Thanks, I did. Nothing in stock. Do they have a waiting list? or something to put .22 ammo on order?

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I stay on Dan's waiting list on different types of RF ammo. He is a great guy to do business with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Michalski:
Where to order, please?

I go to a local rifle shop and ask them to order me a brick, then wait patiently (no point in waiting any other way).

TomP