New
Find
Notify
Tools

Huge Russian Brown Bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I met a guy at work who related a story that his Uncle was hunting in Russia in 2016 and there was a Brown Bear who ate some hikers.

While the Uncle was in camp they caught up with and took this Brown Bear, which I have some photos of and some more photos of the hiker/s the bear ate.

This bear is an exceptional quality bear. It would be interesting to hear some estimates of this bear's size. To be sure, super large for Russia, even for Alaska.

I would like to post some photos here for discussion, but have never done that before. Can someone provide some tech support and give simple instructions on how to post some photos on here.

Also, is anyone familiar with this story or have any details that they can share about it. Some of the photos are probably too Grizzly to post on here.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw a piece with pictures of two guys all tore up. Don’t think that was a bears doing. One has a pile of empty bottles next to him like he’s in a dump, the other looked like he had just been pulled apart but not eaten. The other picture was a guy holding s foot but that picture is from a arcticle about a bear taken in Alaska years ago. I’m guessing it’s another story like the one we had floating around about the mbear killed on hitch or montegue island by the forest service
Guy that was over 12’ and ate two people and was killed while it charged a guy.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Link to the photos please? Without looking I bet fourtyonesix is correct. There's bunches of internet mixed up posts about that bear, although I haven't found any lately, but there likely are some. If you do a search you'll find the true story. I'd still like to see what you have. This is about like the post of a snake cut open with a man inside.

Posts: 42 | Location: columbia, sc | Registered: 20 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just googled Russian brown bear eating hikers

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatwell:
Link to the photos please?

Link ? I need directions on how to post the photos. At the moment, they are in my phone the guy texted them to me.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
Saw a piece with pictures of two guys all tore up. Don’t think that was a bears doing. One has a pile of empty bottles next to him like he’s in a dump, the other looked like he had just been pulled apart but not eaten. The other picture was a guy holding s foot but that picture is from a arcticle about a bear taken in Alaska years ago. I’m guessing it’s another story like the one we had floating around about the mbear killed on hitch or montegue island by the forest service

I just did a bunch of searching and saw no photos similar to what I received and I searched Russia and Alaska. I also couldn't find anything in Russia about hikers being eaten. Nevertheless, these photos are impressive. You would not need time to make a decision on whether you wanted to shoot it, or wait for a bigger one. My decision time would be the same as the time it takes the sear to break.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:

Was that that nasty picture of a leg looking like a half eaten drumstick? That was heinous.

Dave

Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw the story and pictures a couple weeks back also.

Don't remember what site.

Can't find it now showed a bear in the air on a truck crane.

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://imgtc.com/a/zye8Bz9

EDIT
Reading through the comments, it would seem that the pictures are of two different bears.

Steve.

Posts: 54 | Location: North East Scotland | Registered: 26 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve ellis:

EDIT
Reading through the comments, it would seem that the pictures are of two different bears.

Those are the pics I have plus one of the bear on its side with a hunter behind it.

As fo rthe hikers, one of the two photos is what I have the other I have not seen.

Anyone care to give an estimate of size on the pic with the bear hanging from the crane, or the pad size of the front paw ?

Steve.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that the pic of the hide up against the blg is a different and smaller bear.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:
quote:
Originally posted by steve ellis:

EDIT

Those are the pics I have plus one of the bear on its side with a hunter behind it.

As fo rthe hikers, one of the two photos is what I have the other I have not seen.

Anyone care to give an estimate of size on the pic with the bear hanging from the crane, or the pad size of the front paw ?

Steve.

Following the link, the hunter that is shown holding the paw, states that the claws were between 5"-7"

Steve.

Posts: 54 | Location: North East Scotland | Registered: 26 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Claws look 6" to me, so In don't doubt that. I asked for front paw width.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The paw is from a alaska bear several years back.

Master guide #212

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Fake stories like that pop up ever few years with photo shopped pictures gathered from various sources and I am always amazed at the number of folks who believe them !

I have looked through mulitple log books kept by Russian bear biologists that contain data on hundreds of bear and it's rare to find any bear with a skull sizes that reaches even the minimum size for inclusion into record books.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Looks like three different bears to me.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cdparker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 58 | Location: Mat Valley, Alaska | Registered: 31 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey it’s Jimmy urban! I didn’t realize he was in on that bear....didn’t meet him till later on.

Master guide #212