Find
Notify
Tools

How's the road?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Moving back up this weekend, we are camping along the way.

Think we are Anchorage bound, as that is the job offer I currently have.

But others have started to come in and I am hopeful for a good one in Fairbanks.

Second question, is we are considering buying a 7x16 box trailer and dragging it up. It will be new when we pick it up on Thursday.

Is there any market for a trailer like that up there?

It will be a Homesteader.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the trailer good for snowmachines and four wheelers? If so there is a market. Also, folks moving out of Alaska would be interested. Years ago there was a good market for horse trailers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little bigger would be better, and V front with drive through ramp door; around 21 footer or bigger. All the urban folks drive like nuts from the city every weekend; they take the standard trailer and have fold up beds attached to walls. Leave 4 snowmachines in trailer while in Anch and sleep in trailer on weekends up Denali or Eureka.

The used 30 footers are in demand also for construction, small business, ect. You'll lose a little, maybe break even, but not going to make a buck, but you'll get your belongings to Alaska.

I sold a 31 footer and a 22 foot V front when I moved to Ak twenty years back. I lost 500 bucks on my initial cost at Wells Cargo; but they sold quick.

The smaller trailers go super cheap, only hold one machine. I've seen them go for 500-1000 bucks.

I'd buy the bigger trailer, probably cost ya 10K but you'll be able to sell it.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sled trailers don't exist in Kentucky.

We are short on time and funds and these things are about $4000 out the door.

It has a V-front and is 16 feet long on the box, with about another 3 or 4 feet of V in front of that.

I think it is 6 tall, 7 wide and 16 long.

U-Haul dropped to $940 one way but the damn thing is only 5x5x12

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last time I moved up was in 1999 and I just threw away anything that wasn't tied down. Flying would be great, especially when I look at a garage full of crap I don't want to haul up there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya know, I hauled up so much junk that I should have sold at wife's garage sale, no joke. When I think about it, I now look back and think I should have just bought all new furniture. Then too, I had gun vaults, tools, and things I had so long, I couldn't part with them. I'd look for a used trailer to keep for good; you'll need it here anyway with time. I see lots of used trailers for sale all over Alaska. You need 6-8 ply tires, not the 4 ply they sell with trailer. Also check the bearings if used. Most those small trailers only rated at 2000 lbs of load inside.

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
The highway in the Yukon is pretty bad most of the ALCAN from the border to Tok isn't horrible. Some pretty good, some real dippy. The Tok CutOff is pretty good except a few places like from around mile 50-36 or so. The Richardson is pretty good mile 129-115 . . New highway on the Glenn from mile 189 to the west side of Tolsona Crik. Mile 170 or so maybe mile 172 . Then its not great but ok the rest of the way into town. Just take it easy. . Oh ya, almost forgot. When your goin down the hill somewhere around mile 118 there are some SERIOUS WHOOPDEDOOS. I watched a big motor home get his front tires airborne and almost wreck right there a few weeks ago. We now have 65 MPH posted on the Rich and Glenn but I drive 55 in plenty of places still and from 50-38 of the Tok Cutoff not more than 50 .

Take it easy and you'll be ok.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most important thing to plan is a day stop at Laird hot springs, don't get better than that.

The Nov 3rd 2002 7.9 shaker really fouled up the highways in Eastern Ak for many years. Also, I use to drive 80 too, until a friend hit a moose and was killed; that slowed me down. It can happen to anybody.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am pretty much a 67 guy on 65 roads, and a follow the speed limit pretty close on anything above that.

If it says 45 or 50, that's probably what we are doing. I have 2 baby girls sitting in the back seat. I want everyone to live as long as they can.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do I want to buy this thing with ramps or no ramps? I am thinking van doors over ramps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I am pretty much a 67 guy on 65 roads, and a follow the speed limit pretty close on anything above that.

If it says 45 or 50, that's probably what we are doing. I have 2 baby girls sitting in the back seat. I want everyone to live as long as they can.

Well there ya go. Whinde oner . Bring LOTS of cash the towing outfit here needs a few more wrecked light cargo trailers in their lot.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! ?

I'll drive to the conditions we will be fine.

And thanks for the road report.

One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Ive made the drive twice, last summer and in 12. As has been mentioned the road from Destruction Bay to the Border is rough. We averaged 35mph along that stretch. Last summer I was driving a 26ft Uhaul pulling a flatbed with a jeep on it. The previous year I was driving a PU truck pulling a 7x14 enclosed trailer. I sold the trailer for $2K more than I paid for it.

I just flew down to Seattle to get all my mounts up here and avoid customs. I purchased a new 7x14 enclosed and shipped it on the barge. It was cheaper to ship it than to drive all the way and much faster for me. In the end after the cost of the trailer and shipping, it will cost me only $1,000 to ship my mounts here after I sell the trailer.

So yes, buy a trailer and sell it when you get here. The bigger the better 7x16 8x20 if you can afford it.

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just drove it, landed in Anchorage on Thursday.

We stayed in Cheyenne longer than expected for family reasons and ended up hitting the next night in Great Falls, MT. Then Red Deer, AB, then camped at a nice lake about an hour or two outside of Dawson Creek, BC and then the next on in Whithorse at a hotel, then camped outside of Tok in the State Park.

Truck and Uhaul trailer did fine, but I am upgrading to the 3/4 or one ton model as soon as finances allow. The Uhaul didn't leave much power left to drive.

I didn't end up buying a trailer as I got a U-haul special for $500 on a lucky deal.

Of course as luck would have it, we get up here and I get a promotion job offer back in the lower 48 in the west.

Wife hates Anchorage and so do I. Told her it was Seattle north and she didn't believe me until we showed up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good deal. Glad you made it safe and sound.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Headed up to Fairbanks this morning to look at houses and show the town to the wife.