Find
Notify
Tools

BROWN BEAR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted
Hi this type of thread pops up frequently I suppose but what area would you go to if you were looking for something big and a really good experience.

I have heard some good things about Sam Rohrer in Kodiak!

Anton

Sweden

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.garylarose.com/index.htm

Anton,

Husband hunted with Gary LaRose three times on the Alaska Penninsula and loved the area. He hunted caribou there (before it was closed), brown bear, and moose.

We visit with Gary every year at SCI, really good person.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello Anton

I started applying for the draw hunt in Unimak Island National Wildlife Refuge through Rod Schuh.

This place has huge bears with almost 100% success rate, the odds od drawing a tag are 1 in 15.

His web page is

http://www.rrhunting.com/unimak-brown-bear/

Take a look.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Aziz, Unimak is arguably one of the best. I also like Afognak too and the draw odds are far better.

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
100% Mike Munsey, Kodiak Island, see my report

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'd toss in M. Litzen and Phil S.(Grizzlyskinsofalaska) into the mix as well, as both are in great areas and put down some big boys every year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man there are some great places and great outfitters. Wildman lake lodge puts out some big bears as well. Grizzly skins of alaska has a good rep. Dick and Sam rohrer both, crud just about all the guys on kodiak. Keep in mind not everyone gets a big bear. Even the top notch areas aren't just full of ten footers. If big is what you want save your money for a couple trips just in case. It happens first day first trip, but sometimes it don't happen till eleventh hour on day 15 of trip number three as well.
Also ask who your guide will be, sometimes you book a hunt with a master guide but he isn't even on your hunt...it's worth asking. Booking with someone with 30 years experience sometimes don't make up for hunting with an assistant with three years experience.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Phil Shoemaker (www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com) who posts on these froums as 458Win.

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike Munsey-Had a great hunt with him spring of 2013.

Posts: 74 | Location: United States | Registered: 07 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the suggestions.

One of Us
Picture of HuntNBgame
posted Hide Post
Like Jake stated just about every one on Kodiak has Great reference. I have Sam,Munsey's,Rohrer,Mileur's all on my list of Kodiak.
I hunted Moose with Gary LaRose and Sheep with Dave Leonard of Mountain Monarchs of Alaska both Outfit on the Alaska Peninsula. Gary's Place is right next to Lance's Cinder River Lodge and Dave's place is down out of Cold Bay. Both were good outfitters. Good luck the your Quest.

Posts: 131 | Location: East Coast,USA | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to Kodiak with Dennis Harms outfit, Alaska Trophy Safaris, this Spring 2015. Dennis hunts Frazer Lake and Aliulik Peninsula areas. Scott Mileur, Paul Chernavak and Sam Rohrer all have good reputations too.

Posts: 33 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
You should have a good hunt with everyone mentioned so far. They all have taken some really big bears but if you are serious about a big, mature trophy boar make sure to check with the state F&G records to see how many sows they shoot and their skull size average.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Phil's area for Moose, and probably saw 10-12 Brownies a day. You'd think one was big, but then he'd look back and take off running, and out would come a REALLY BIG bear. Great area.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Friend and I went on a hunt with Rohrer Bear Camp. Based on that experience nither my friend nor myself can recomend them.

I think you would be much better off with:

Munsey Bear Camp

Alaska Trophy Adventures, Dan Montgomery

Phil Shoemaker

Be safe, good luck and post a review and photos upon your return.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cold zero I would be interested in a pm with what happened with rohrer if your ok with that.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
lake iliamna I don't know about the spelling? Any words about that area ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going there in 2017. The entity I am going with has been 100% successful in the last few years.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Iliamna has good bear hunting all around it. The south side is generally considered where the bigger bears are but that is regulated much more heavily. The southwest side of the lake is very close to Katmai preserve and only one guide with the Moraine concession. The southeast side of the lake is mostly native land with a few different operator's and this area is also quite thick brush unlike the rest of the Iliamna area wich is open tundra. The north side of the lake shares two game management units,9B along the north Shore and 17B just a few miles inland. The're are several outfitters in these areas (myself included ) who can offer a good hunt. Unit 17 has a much more liberal season so if you're schedule doesn't allow for May 10-25 or Oct 1 wich are the unit 9 seasons (on alternating years) you might choose unit 17.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post

Lake Iliamna has some dandy bears, here's my wife and mine his& hers bears. Both on the Copper River,,our stomping ground!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HuntNBgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
You should have a good hunt with everyone mentioned so far. They all have taken some really big bears but if you are serious about a big, mature trophy boar make sure to check with the state F&G records to see how many sows they shoot and their skull size average.

Hey Phil is there a way to check Skull Size records Down on the Peninsula, I am able to bring up Kodiak for that but nothing comes up for the Peninsula using AK F&G site.

Posts: 131 | Location: East Coast,USA | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote