THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Left handed Mauser 98 Conversions

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left handed Mauser 98 Conversions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents,

I have read about military Mauser 98 being converted to left hand operation but have never seen one, either in the flesh or in photos.

How was it done and does anybody have any pictures or drawings??

Many thanks

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ones I held only moved the bolt to the left. I cannot remember how it was done but I was not impressed.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rock Island Auction sold several about three years ago, full custom Mauser conversions. You might be able to browse their old auction photo files.
A few days ago there was a barreled action FN Mauser conversion by the Late Fred Wells of Prescott AZ. for sale on gun broker with I believe a $2,600 starting bid. I don't think it sold and the action needed finishing with heat treatment. You do run across them occasionally. They are basically a right handed action with only the bolt operating left handed. the ejection etc.. are all right handed.
Most gunsmiths will shy away from taking the project of conversion due to labor, cost and a law suit happy society.
Before the production of left handed actions, that was the only game in town. Today the scenario is all different and don't recommend it. If you do find one. Make sure to have it thoroughly inspected by a qualified gunsmith and have it reheat treated.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen roughly three left hand conversions of Mauser 98: a nice 1930s .35 Whelan with side scope mount and Lyman type rear bridge aperture sight. From memory, the scope was a straight tube Noske type telescopic sight. I think this was on Gunbroker / Gunsamerica or an auction site. This was some time ago,late 2000s.

More recently, I saw two VZ24 "cre-actions", one a 7mm Rem Mag, the other .458 Win Mag. These looked quite nice - late 1960s, early 1970s style walnut stocks. All of these rifles were put together by American gunsmiths.

From my research, and relying on memory, the rear of the action is cut off and a new rear bridge machined. This is then welded onto the old front part of the action / action sidewall receiver. This is necessary as the camming action is different, a mirror edition of a right hand bolt action. Obviously, the bolt is cut off and welded on the other side of the action.

All this work requires skill, knowledge and time, making the hole procedure expensive. With the availability of true left hand FN Mauser type actions in the form of Zastava, this work is unnecessary /unjustified and too costly.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester 70 converted to left handed and have seen several Springfields so converted. I have seen pictures of a couple of Gary Stiles Mausers converted to left hand operation. Even run into a couple of Remington 721's converted to left hand.

One of the coolest was a conversion on a Mauser that incorporated a rack and pinion gear set up that caused the bolt to turn counter clockwise as normal. I once saw a Springfield converted in the same manner.

It is a pretty complicated operation to change one over and I would be surprised to see any smiths today who would take on the job.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 721 converted to left-hand with 257 Roberts barrel that I had reamed to 25-06. The rifle is a 1-holer.
I also have a Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine with a factory left-hand stock.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Have a couple of Roy Gradle Gear-Drive conversions, a model 70 and a 98-

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Fred Wells barreled action is back on GunBroker with an $1800 starting bid. FN converted action in .300 win mag. Item # 509355850. Worth a look. I have no connection to the seller.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
Gents,

I have read about military Mauser 98 being converted to left hand operation but have never seen one, either in the flesh or in photos.

How was it done and does anybody have any pictures or drawings??

Many thanks

Reviving an old thread, but there are photos of both a Mauser 98 and Win M70 conversion on this thread: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...ur_most_rare_LH_rifl

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote