Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka T3 LH
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking about buying one.
Who has one & what do you think about it.
Leaning heavily towards a 308.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a new, unfired stainless LH 243..........and will likely never use it. 650.
....also have ALOT of custom-loaded ammo

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a new, unfired stainless LH 243..........and will likely never use it. 650.....also have ALOT of custom-loaded ammo

Thanks for the offer, but I have a mental hang up about 243's. Probably unjustified, but it's there just the same.
Fairly stuck on the 308.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My local gun store ( whittacker guns) has a used left hand tikka t3 stainless synthetic in 308 for $540 with scope. You might give them a call

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that I have a left hand tikka in 270 wsm and love it. I did replace the factory stock with one from MPI though

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks
I ordered the 308 in ss earlier today.
I bought it for my birthday present from me to me.
May order the 5rd magazine that comes extra.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased one several monhs ago in .270 Win. Love the trigger. Bolt is smooth as hell. My favorite part is that the rifle is scary accurate with several factory loads. By accurate, I mean ALWAYS significantly under 1MOA at 100 yards. Hard to ask for anything more thant that for a gun at that price range. As much as I appreciate my older more classically crafted rifles, I appreciate the Tikka T3 LH more every time I shoot it. I hope you have the same experience with yours.

Posts: 129 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 15 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I purchased one several monhs ago in .270 Win. Love the trigger. Bolt is smooth as hell. My favorite part is that the rifle is scary accurate with several factory loads. By accurate, I mean ALWAYS significantly under 1MOA at 100 yards. Hard to ask for anything more thant that for a gun at that price range. As much as I appreciate my older more classically crafted rifles, I appreciate the Tikka T3 LH more every time I shoot it. I hope you have the same experience with yours.

Now you've got my blood pumping.
Should arrive tomorrow or Monday.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
quote:

Now you've got my blood pumping.
Should arrive tomorrow or Monday.

Did you buy the used one from Whittakers?

I have a LH 308 and I absolutely love it as a stalking rifle. Light, handy and amazingly accurate. It just feels good in my hands.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 108 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I own several. The best value in rifles available.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cliff Lyle
In Hoc bro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you buy the used one from Whittakers?

No
I have a friend with an FFL and he ordered it through Sports South.
Did not come in Friday so am hoping for it tomorrow.
Seems Sports South has several Tikka lefties in stock.
Have a Leupold vx3 4.5x14x40ao with bc reticle waiting impatiently to go on top.
Going pronghorn hunting in Oct. Think this combo should work.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Not pretty, but shoot great! I wouldn't enjoy another detachable mag rifle where the mag had to be removed to load more than one. FIL's .338 went to bro-in-law, also a lefty. I prefer the Ruger 77 I inherited.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Lyle:
I own several. The best value in rifles available.

In hoc!

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I put a Manners stock on one that I had rebarreled to a 257 Roberts and really like the way it turned out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
Not pretty, but shoot great! I wouldn't enjoy another detachable mag rifle where the mag had to be removed to load more than one. FIL's .338 went to bro-in-law, also a lefty. I prefer the Ruger 77 I inherited.

I don't love that "feature" either, and replacement mags are vary too expensive. Oh well, I guess if they ever made the perfect rifle then we wouldn't have a reason to buy the next one.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 108 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the scope mounted & bore sighted but have yet to make the opportunity to fire it.
Maybe this week.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the second magasine in my pocket 8(3+5) rounds all i need on a normal hunt.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got one in 22-250 and it shoots fantastic. Bought it as a spare and it shoots as good as my high dollar custom.

Posts: 151 | Location: NC | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My LH T3 Hunter in 9.3 x 62 gets out of jail next week. (I live in the People's Democratic Republic of California.) Can't wait to get it. Does anyone have experience with Mountain Tactical / Tikka Performance? They have after-market rails, metal bolt shrouds, steel recoil lugs and other parts, including stocks. The rails, bolt shroud and recoil lugs look interesting (and not too expensive).

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftbt: Does anyone have experience with Mountain Tactical / Tikka Performance? They have after-market rails, metal bolt shrouds, steel recoil lugs and other parts, including stocks. The rails, bolt shroud and recoil lugs look interesting (and not too expensive).

I've bought several items from them for my LH Tikkas. All good stuff and great guys to deal with. They sent me the wrong item one time and when I called they immediately sent the correct one way before I returned the mistake to them.

I have not used their stocks, however I have used the rails, recoil lugs (magnum calibers only) and other things. Very happy with everything I've received from them.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great! Thanks for the feedback. I think I will go ahead and get the package that includes the rail, shroud, recoil lugs and recoil pad.

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
I got that package for my lefty T3 in 300 WSM. Great way to customize your T3.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally got it sighted in & for my talents & abilities at the range I was well pleased with it.
Will use it on pronghorn in 3 weeks.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My T3 Hunter 9.3 x 62 was released from jail yesterday. I can't get over how light it is, at least compared to my CZ 550. However, while the stock is wood, it just doesn't feel quite right. Perhaps a bit too slim to save weight, and the pull is on the short side for me. I may take a closer look at some of the replacement stocks offered by Mountain Tactical / Tikka Performance.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I have a spare factory synthetic if you want to give that a try.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I appreciate the offer, but I just ordered a walnut Vintage American Hunter stock from Tikka Performance, with an extended LOP. It is custom-made, so it will take around 3 weeks. Once I get it, I will probably be listing the original Tikka Hunter stock for sale. Someone will probably want it, since it is brand new and LH. Kind of rare, I would think.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have not been as happy with my T3 as I had hoped to be.
After the 2nd shot the POI on the 3rd shot will be 4 to 6 inches higher than the 1st 2.
The horizontal holds pretty true.
Had a friend of mine take it & shoot it without telling him what my problem was, he reported the same experience back to me.
Not quite sure how far you should be able to slide a dollar bill between the barrel & stock to check for floating, but mine does not go as far down as I thought it should. The bill stops about 5in from where the barrel & receiver join.
Not sure if this is the problem, just an observation.
My gun builder friend is out of commission right now so I guess I'll just wait till he is back to work & have him check it out.
Any thoughts on this?

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remove the barreled action from the stock and open up the barrel channel until the barrel is free floating.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote