Date of Hunt: September 24-30, 2006

Animals Harvested: Dagestan Tur

Animals Seen But Not Hunted: Caucasian Roedeer, Caucasian Brown Bear

Outfitter: Musado Hunting Company

Guides: Nariman, Nehman, Natig, Alihan, Sadig, Rafael, Aydin and Sarvan
Interpreter: Emilio
Hunt Cost: $5,600

Misc Costs: $40, 7 days Single Entry Azerbaijan Visa

Commercial Flights To Baku: Turkish Airlines from Madrid to Baku, 802 Euros round trip via Istambul

I travel to Azerbayjan from Spain. I’d take with me a Blaser R93 rifle with a 6.5x68 barrel. I reloaded 50 RWS cases with Barnes 120 grs. TSX BT.and 66.5 grs. of RL 22., ten of them was used to sigh the rifle and 40 to the hunt.
Arrived in Baku at 04:00; there was a Musado representative who cleared all the rifle papers and after a few last minute arrangements at the Outfitter Office, where I met Sabutay Nasirli, Director of Musado Hunting Company, together we travel to Ismaily and then to main camp (under construction). There I was introduced with my guides and cook (Saleh).Finally arrived to Hunting Camp at 18:00.
Next day, I waked up at 06:00, and after a light breakfast, I was offered a horse and two hours later we where at the base of the mountain. What a beautiful mountains¡, my feelings were a mix of fear, challenge and joy to be there.
Let me say that my guides did not speak English and of course I don’t speak a word of Turkish or Azeri. So I try to establish that I would only shoot if we could spot a big ram and that I preferred stalk hunting instead of drive.
I shot my Tur the very first mourning; the Tur was standing about 120 yards below; the bullet hit the ram from behind and exits the chest and even broke the right forefoot. The Tur, roll down about 70 yads.
Next day, Sabutay offer me a Roedeer and a second Tur for a trophy fee, so I hunted every day. Day 4 and 5 was focused in Tur, so once again to climb the mountains; we did not see a better Tur, but the scenery was wonderful.
Day 5 was very special for me; I could reach the top of the mountain and spot a bunch of Tur, too far away to try a stalk so we decided to initiate the descent. I was very tired, my legs weak and I was very afraid to fall down. When I finally could walk down to the river bottom, I was covered in sweat, for a minute I knelt down and whisper a pray, then I pulled off all my cloths and took a shower in a waterfall.
I enjoyed the hunt so much that I will go back next year to try a bigger Tur and take a chance for a Roedeer and Chamois.
Thanks Sabutay. See you next year¡

Here are some photos

Posts: 102 | Location: South West | Registered: 14 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. The Blaser is the way to go on a long trip. I don't own one but wish I did. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great report and super trophy! Thanks for posting... one of these days I'll finish in Africa and settle in to hunting Asia. Looks like a nice area for tur.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Great pictures and a wonderful adventure, congratulations! thumb

In case anybody else is curious, here's the location of Azerbaijan from Musago's website:

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great trophy, they make beautiful mounts!

You were lucky to get such a close shot too.
Were there any other hunters in your camp? Did you every try the driven hunting?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great report. Congratulations on the tur!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
excellent---great pics and story--impressive moutains---congrats---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
That was a great adventure...Looks like a great hunt for a reasonable price.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the report. Very beautiful scenery!

Why shall there not be patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world? Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 599 | Location: Canada, NS | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Trophy and a fantastic mountain scenery !
Well done !

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man thats an Interesting Hunt.

Ok Questions ???

Did you fly from the U.S. To Spain.
Did you fly back to the U.S
Did the Hotel cost before and after the hunt.
How much was an Extra Trophy.
If you came back to the U.S how did you ship
your Hides and Horns.
Very nice Tropy, Congrats.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was young and still happy to dream about and chase destinations closer to home my employer had a big project in Azerbaijan. How stupid of me not to realize the opportunities! killpc

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Very nice report! I`m very interested in trying for a tur as well..
Do you have to travel far to try for chamois and roebuck? It would be nice to combine several species.. Do you know what kind of chamois there is by the way?

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Anders
As I know the Chamois is the Caucasian variety and is not too far from main camp; In fact you must horse ride for about 3 hours and then climb on foot.
I was told that the best time for a combination hunt that may include Tur, Roe Deer Chamois and Reed Deer could be the second week of October. By the way I will be there a that time with two close friends.

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Kechutti!
The combination you mentioned is very interesting. I don`t think I will have the opportunity this year, though.. Planning a combi ibex/brown bear in Russia next spring.. Are you trying for all four this october?

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No.
My focus will be in Chamois and a larger Tur. If I have time I will try a Roe Deer.