New
Find
Notify
Tools

great Hawaii trip
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Celebrating 25 years with my bride, I took a day to go hunt hogs with dogs and a knife. This is by far my favorite way to hunt hogs. We booked with Mike from Nahele Outfitters on the Big Island, he hooked me up with his dog guide Brad.
Both Brad and his assistant Garon were great to hunt with and were in it for the fun that is for sure.
We caught three hogs that day sticking the last which was a good hog with 7 inches of cutters on him.

We also spent two days big game fishing which was a first for both of us. We booked a day with High Noon Sportsfishing who Nahele had reccommended to us.
The first day it was noon before we had a strike, Julie ended up pulling in a great Ono.

near the end of 8 hours of fishing we had a lot of excitement with 6 strikes from some Stiped Marlin and a couple from a spearfish, we did not hook up with any of them. As we left the parking lot I told Julie to call Catain Jah and try to get us another day fishing. Jah was able to push his other client off to another boat captain and fit us in two days later.
the second day was half done before we had our first strike but the afternoon was eventful, landing two Shortbilled Spearfish and a 225# 9 ft Blue Marlin.
Even Julie was so excited when that Marlin tried jumping in the boat, she is hooked on the big game fishing now.
Here is the bigger of the Spearfish I caught that day.

The only picture I have is the marlin is one the Captain took just before it broke the #10 Dozer hook just before I was about to put a tag in it.

Great trip for both of us. Feel free to PM me or send an email if you would like more info on either outfit.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now THAT looks fun!!

My 25th is not too far off. Sounds like a great idea!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great fish! We really enjoy hunting Hawaii as well.

DRSS

Posts: 624 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing!
Congratulations...

Ski+3

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Happy anniversary
Looks like a great trip.
What stock of yellow cur dogs are they running?

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
You caught two of the very best eating fish in the world. And, the short-billed spearfish is one that most anglers never catch. Kona happens to be one of the best places in the world to catch them. After you do, you can go to a local restaurant and pay a high price to eat spearfish and it may be the same fish you caught. Ono is my favorite fish to eat of any and one of the best to catch too. Congratulations on a very nice trip.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
That looks like a blast! Thanks for the pics, you might have just cost me a bunch of money as that's a trip I'd like to copy!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
Happy anniversary
Looks like a great trip.
What stock of yellow cur dogs are they running?

they just call them pig dogs. A little black mouth cur mixed with short haired pointer, pit bull and some catahoula.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mt Al:
That looks like a blast! Thanks for the pics, you might have just cost me a bunch of money as that's a trip I'd like to copy!

Really not that bad. 900/day for pig hunting same for the boat. I thought it was per person but $900 for an 8 hour day fishing on the High Noon.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0