Tools

Bison Hunts in Cody,Wyoming?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
I have heard there is some Bison Hunting in the Cody area,any leads? Thanks

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There can be, if the bison are present. In WY, a hunter has to send in an application to be put on the bison priority list, which is essentially a random draw. Depending on where you fall out on that list, and where the bison are, will depend on whether or not you hunt. Generally speaking, most bison hunting takes place around Jackson, but in the past there has been several seaons along the North Fork near Cody.

MG

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Thank You!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SAFARIKID,

Contact Rod Kilian rkilian@180com.net I don't represent him but he offers bison and is based here in Cody.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi: Mark is correct...need to contact Kilian. He is the outfitter for the Bison Rancher, Joe Pellar.
More details: Joe has Bison released in the wild before the booked hunt on his Heart Mountain porperties.
They get a bit more wild...one year 3 hunters were charged by the Bison & it was an exciting hunt for them,
they loved the excitement...Joe once had a fine trophy bull Bison about 7 years old that was magnificent.
Its probably gone now.
It used to be that the price Joe charged was better than competitors in South Dakota, Nebraska, etc. It
used to be about $1500 for a Bison...maybe more now...this was a few years back...but his prices may still
be better than others...need to check on it.
Killiam also runs an Art gallery in town...phone: 307-527-5380
I once was offered a free shot at a Bison, but declined. I have hunted everything from Moose to mice, but
admire the Bison so, I didn't want to shoot one...hence my "buddies" gave me the moniker: "White Bison"..
There is a fellow name, of Sam May who is near Cody in Wood River, Antlers Ranch, who sometimes offers a
Bison shoot. If he has a trophy one, (he has a big herd of about 1500 Bison). His are for meat, of course,
and saying this, much is exported to Colorado or other heathen areas...but since they are for "meat", its
not usual to have one grow to trophy size...since the best meat are of the prime ones...maybe 18 months.
But you would need to check with him...and it probably would only be shot on the ranch, but its country..
Sam May's phone is: 307-868-2678. His wife, Tiffany, usually answers in daytime as Sam is buzy about the
ranch...probably early evening like 6PM Mountain Time is the best. But I don't know if he would offer a
Bison shoot. He doesn't advertise such, and its only occassional if he does. He has once, I know.
Probably Kilian is your best bet.
But that's all I know about Bison hunts in the Cody area...the public hunts are pretty iffy, I think.
I wouldn't bother with it, even being a resident...I don't have the details, since I don't even consider
it.
If you do take a Bison...remember this...even if an old Bull Trophy Bison...for some reason, the meat should be pretty tough...But the Prime Ribs are great! A friend of mine...his gal friend shot a huge old
trophy Bison near Jackson & they were assuming the meat had to be pretty tough...it was, except for the
Prime Rib which was delicious & tender. I had a old Bison once, meat from an old bull & the prime rib
was about the best prime rib in the world! Don't know why it should be..but it just is.

Hope this info helps...if you call Sam May...tell hime you got his contact from "Tom" of Cody. He knows
me well.

Best regards,

Tom aka "white bison"

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote