Find
Notify
Tools

Red Stag in Argentina
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
The hunt was booked with Algar Safaris at the 05 SCI convention in Reno. We were enjoying? a cheeseburger and much needed rest from walking the aisles when Mrs. Blacktailer noticed that the two gentlemen sitting next to us were from Argentina. We began talking to them and it turned out one of them was Jose Martinez de Hoz who was there to do a signing of his new book "A Sporting Life". We asked him what his favorite hunt was and he said that while elephant was probably the most exciting, red stag in Argentina during the roar was his favorite. I mentioned that I would like to go to Argentina to hunt stag but wasn't sure who to book with. At this point, Jose became very excited and said as soon as he finished his lunch, he would introduce us to someone who would take very good care of us. He led us to the Algar booth where he introduced us to Lilliana who booked us for the last week in March 2006.
The flight from Dallas to Buenos Aires is 11 hours. American Airlines does not offer enough legroom on their planes for 6 footers and Mrs. Blacktailer at 5ft 7inches wasn't very comfy either. Next time I'll look for a different airline. We arrived in Buenos Aires and were waived right through customs and were standing with all of the other arriving passengers where the tourguides were holding up signs but there was no sign for Algar. After about 20 minutes, I called Algar's office and they said they would locate our contact. 5 minutes later, Carlos arrived looking puzzled. He was waiting for us all along where the police had to check-in our guns but customs must have thought the Tuff-Pack had golf clubs so instead of directing us to the police, they had waived us right through.
We spent the nite in Buenos Aires and got some much needed rest, then were taken to the domestic airport the next afternoon for the two hour flight to Bariloche and the 1 1/2 hour drive to Algar. All connections were taken care of but due to Argentine Airlines' flight delays we arrived too late to sight the rifles.
After a hearty welcome from Dr Tomas, we enjoyed a wonderful dinner. He informed us that since we would have to wait for daylight to sight the rifles, we would get a later than usual start. After breakfast the next morning, we checked our zeroes and headed out on horseback for most of us although you can also use vehicles if you want. We were not 20 min from the lodge when we saw our fist stag. Nahuel, our guide, stopped and scrutinized him through his Zeiss binoculars. "Quanta puntas?" I asked. "Ocho" was the reply. We continued to ride along and check stags but 10 pointers (diez) were about all we saw. At noon, we unsaddled the horses and a truck picked us up to take us back to the lodge for lunch and siesta. Marcus, one of the other hunters said he and his guide stalked up on a 14 point (catorce) but the horns were not very heavy and his guide thought they could do better. After siesta, we were taken back to the horses and continmued to hunt until dark. When we got back to the lodge, we found that Marcus had taken a large 14 point. He said he was hesitant to take one on the first day but his guide said it was outstanding and he should take it. He was right as it turned out to be the largest stag taken that week.
The next morning Dr Tommie's wake up call came a 6:00am and after a great breakfast, we were back in the saddle before daylight. We saw many stags and at one point, after Nahuel and I had stalked on one stag for about 150 yards, as I lay there on my belly, I counted 15 stags around us that were 8 or better all roaring and fighting. That's exciting! The stag we were stalking turned out to be a doce (12 point) and Nahuel said I could take him if I wanted but he thought we could do better (this communicated through my limited spanish and lots of sign language). We stood and rejoined Mrs. Blacktailer and walked back to the horses. After lunch and siesta, we were again glassing and stalking when Nahuel noticed a stag lying down about 500 yards away. He was down the ridge with absolutely no cover between us and him but since he was looking the other way and we had a strong wind coming from our left, we began to slowly move towards him. If he looked right or left, we would all crouch down but as long as he remained lying down and looking down the ridge, we kept advancing. Finally we stopped and Nahuel looked long and hard through his binoculars. He said that the carona on the left side had 4 points but because there was a bush directly behind the stag's right side, he couldn't be sure if he was a catorce or not. I asked Nahuel how far away we were in case I needed to shoot and he held up three fingers (300 meters). Mrs. Blacktailer asked if we could get closer so I asked Nahuel "Mas cerca?" He nodded and we continued our stalk. We had gone about 30 yards when the stag looked to the right and we all immediately crouched down. Now the bush was not behind the right antler but both antlers were exactly in line so all we could see were points! Finally the stag turned his head partially and Nahuel gave me the thumbs up sign and patted his right shoulder for me to rest my rifle. I shook my head and scooted off to his right in a sitting position and got ready to shoot. The stag slowly stood and took about 10 steps to the right as I kept the crosshairs on his shoulder. When he stopped, I put the crosshairs about 6 inches below his backline in line with his front leg and began to squeeze the trigger. I saw him drop from the scope as the rifle came through recoil and heard the WHUMP as the 165 gr Barnes TSX struck home.
When we walked up to him Mrs. Blacktailer counted the points as I was afraid to look. I couldn't believe it when she counted 16. Nahuel looked at his teeth which were worn almost flush with the gums and said "Muy viejo" (very old). Tommie later confirmed that he was at least 10. He had one brow tine completely broken off and another with about 3 inches missing from all of the fighting he had been through.

The next day we began looking for a fallow deer for Mrs. Blacktailer. She took a large white one with a 200 yard shot from her Kimber SuperAmerica in 308 Win just at dusk.

We had a great time and made some wonderful freinds.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Very nice stag !! thanks for sharing pictures and story. Did you see any wildboars? Mike Detorre shot a nice one last year in that property during daylight.

More pictures please.. thumb

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
We hunted for boar the last two days but did not see any although they were around judging by the sign. Marcus who got the big stag on the first day spent the next four days hunting boar and got a nice one on the last day. It was not cold enough for them yet and they were still higher in the mountains. Evidently when it is later in the fall there are lots of them.
I'll try to add more pics tonite.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice stag! The roar is a really special time to be hunting.

The fallow is not too shabby either, did you see many white bucks?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
That was one of the few white one we saw. There were several chocolate ones and one was spotted.
Here are a few more pics.
Our transportation

Just another sunset in Patagonia

And a view of the countryside

The air is so clear down there that distances are deceiving. We also never even saw a contrail the entire week.

Have gun- Will travel

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a satisfactory hunt !

The magic of the roar experienced in an environment as the Patagonia offers is something quite unforgetable ...

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Russ,

great story and a muy bueno stag

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10058 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great adventure! Congratulations on a beautiful trophy well hunted!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7524 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good stag, you know the weight of the trophy? You can talk abot the costs - only for comparison german stag hunt.

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very good stag, you know the weight of the trophy? You can talk abot the costs - only for comparison german stag hunt.

Monastery- The hunt was about $5K US, but of course we added some days in Bariloche and Buenos Aires for sightseeing as well as did all of our Christmas shopping and covered most birthdays for the year as well because compared to the US (or Europe), the prices in Argentina are very attractive.
The stag probably went about 200 kilos or less (just my guestimate, we did not weigh).

Have gun- Will travel