Find
Notify
Tools

Iberian red deer in Portugal
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
Just had a weekend of stalking the Iberian red deer up in Castelo Branco.

We had shite weather but the rain stopped just at the right time and just for long enough for me to take this.

Rifle was a WWII Mauser in 8x57 with Timney trigger and open sights. Range was 183 metres or 200 yards on the rangefinder and the shot was what might be termed a radical raking shot and only a few degrees off of being a texas heart shot. The bullet entered on the left side and a fair bit behind the ribs and exited an inch or two below the right anter. - It was that shot or nothing as he was about to follow a female into the thick stuff so as I felt very comfortable with the shot, I took and the animal went straight down.

I've gotta say, the whole weekend was fantastic with good company and hunting.

In case anyone is interested, the agent handling the hunting there is Kiri/Fallow Buck of Athina hunting tours and you can contact him by PM or with either a Google or Farcebook search.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell of a deer Steve, this hunt and the last, have really got me interested in hunting your new country. Glad your enjoying yourself...Butch

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Butch

I'm really loving it here now.

That one is classified as a good representative of the species but nothing more and 16 or 18 points are not impossible in these areas...... I'm not an inches man though and for me a hunt should be judged by the stalk, the shot and the company and I got all of those in spades. tu2

As I said, Kiri of Athina hunting runs the marketing etc but if you do get over here, please tell him to make sure I know you're coming and I'll travel up and meet you for lunch at the very least. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Got Kiri's info, and you better believe, i'll look for you when I get there.

I'm amazed at quality of the red deer...your smile tells me everything I need to know!

Looking forward to a cold one..Best regards, Butch

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me buddy! tu2

Oh and I'll be sure to bring a bottle of red made from the grapes of my own vines! beer

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULATIONS STEVE , clapyou continue hunting even in your new country ,i have guided some portuguese hunters and they told me that there are huge boars too .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
CONGRATULATIONS STEVE , clapyou continue hunting even in your new country ,i have guided some portuguese hunters and they told me that there are huge boars too .

There's certainly plenty of them as well..... During the stalk of this stag we came across a big sounder of boar snoozing in the bush which was rather nice.... WE also get a fair number around the house..... which is dead handy for me as they come and clean up all the windfall fruit from my various trees.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Steve...good to know you can still shoot and are enjoying the "chase" Wink..200 yards iron sights..good shooting Smiler (especially in this day and age of high powered scopes for everything)

Warm regards
S

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Steve...good to know you can still shoot and are enjoying the "chase" Wink..200 yards iron sights..good shooting Smiler (especially in this day and age of high powered scopes for everything)

Warm regards
S

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Thanks buddy......There was the choice of a scoped rifle but I've been shooting open sights for decades and am now uncomfortable shooting scoped rifles so opted for the K98 but to be honest, I don't think anyone was expecting a shot of that range with that rifle but when I looked at it, I knew I could make the shot without difficulty....... that doesn't mean I think I'm a better shot than anyone else just that I'm more accustomed to open sights than most probably are...... I also have to say I was blessed with a VERY good rifle and that although such a shot is considered unusual now, the Germans were doing all that and a whole lot more on a daily basis during WWII.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow...VERY nice Steve!
Congrats it looks like you had a great time beer

Does one need an outfitter to hunt in Portugal, all private lands?

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:
Wow...VERY nice Steve!
Congrats it looks like you had a great time beer

Does one need an outfitter to hunt in Portugal, all private lands?

Land is usually privately owned but hunting and hunting rights etc are very complicated. Public hunting is allowed in some places and not in others, no hunting is allowed on some land and pretty much everything in-between so one really does need to book with a local company that has exactly the right areas.

All the requirements are here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...unting-portugal.html but realistically, it couldn't be done without using a local company and that's why I introduced the hunting company to Kiri.

Both parties have really good products/services but to maximise those, both need to work together and that's what they're now doing.

Incidentally, the fishing and wing shooting is equally good and Kiri can help you with those as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice deer!
JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
If it was not for the multi tines, I could almost see a San rock artist slapping a copy of that on the back of his cave wall. jumping
Nice one Mr. Robinson. tu2

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love that dark coloration too! Looks like fun! I know one "cheeky bastard" who will be heading that way as soon as possible. Talk to you soon.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mike

If you do come, I'll make bloody sure we'll meet up and will bring a bottle of my 'casa nodeirinho vinho tinto' for us to enjoy!
tu2 beer tu2

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Mike

If you do come, I'll make bloody sure we'll meet up and will bring a bottle of my 'casa nodeirinho vinho tinto' for us to enjoy!
tu2 beer tu2

"a bottle," only one bottle? Would that be an indication survival rates? Roll Eyes

Should it not be named "Vinho del Morte?" stir

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It always gets delivered in 5 or 6 litre bottles or multiples thereof....... but hey, I can always bring more than one & maybe some aguardiente if necessary!

beer