Find
Notify
Tools

Mexico Sheep Hunt, Rick Klimes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
Rick will be shortly posting his report, but he asked me to go ahead and post the pictures, so here goes!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Good for Rick! Glad he got a beautiful old ram...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Outfitter: Desert Hunt

Luis & Braulio Romero

Guide: Cesar Morales

Asst. Guides:Poncho, Felix & Torro

Seri Nation Game Scouts: Angel & Victor

Rifle: Blaser 93 in 270

Scope/Binos: Swarovski

Spotting scope: Leica

Date: November 20-29

Kathi and I were scheduled to hunt together, she was going to hunt muledeer and I was to hunt Desert sheep. Due to my Mother's alzheimers and dementia, both of us could not be away from home for 11 days. Kathi stayed at home to help my Father with her care. Kathi suggesested I post the hunt report.

I arrived in Hermosillo on November 19th and met with Cesar, the main guide. Entry into Mexico was easy and we began a three hour ride to the Seri Nation land where I would be hunting. This area is located directly across from Tiburon Island. The main camp is tented sleeping quarters with a mess tent and a propane powered shower. Bathroom facilities are used when females are in camp.The cook at the main camp was Julian and his assistant Jesus. Outstanding meals is an understatement.

Seri Nation Game Scouts must accompany all hunts.

We would leave camp before sunrise and not return until well after sunset. On two occasions we spiked camp out in the desert so we could get after the sheep immediately after first light. The hunt was physically challenging as this area has numerous canyons for the sheep to hide. You would hike to the top of one mountain, glass into the canyon, climb down, and go up the next mountain. The ability of the guides to spot sheep at long ranges without optical assistance was amazing. Everyday we saw good to great rams but one thing or another prevented a successful stalk.

On my last day of hunting, in the morning, we spotted three rams with a group of ewes at approximately 600 yards. The sheep had entered into a "second rut" as the rams were continuously smelling the ewes and following them during this hunt. We waited for the group of sheep to bed and after a 400 yard stalk which took almost two hours due to the difficult terrain we were within 200 yards of the sheep. Once again the rams were after the ewes and when the one ram came into the open I was able to shoot him.

I am not a record book person but the guides measured the sheep for statistical purposes. They estimated him to be 10+ years of age, one horn had 16 inch bases the other 16 2/8, both horns were broomed down, with a green score of 163 2/8.

I cannot say enough good things about Desert Hunt. Their entire operation from beginning to end was perfect. I wish Kathi had been able to go as there is a real unique beauty to the desert.

On a side note, while I was there a nine year old hunter took a ram on Tiburon Island completing his Grand Slam. He is believed to be the youngest ever to accomplish this goal.

Thanks to Judge G for posting photos.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
super ram well done tu2

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! This is a dream hunt.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blasers rule!!!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Congrats Rick. I'm sorry that it did not work out for Kathi to make the trip. Hope to see you both in Vegas.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a beautiful ram Rick!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Fabulous sheep!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Another well done job! Mountain nyala, marco polo/ibex and the latest a desert ram! Kudos to you and Kathi.

Wished Kathi had been able to do her mule deer hunt.

That ram is a beauty.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great trip? I wonder who his travel agent is? :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice old ram! Congrats on a great hunt!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and awesome ram.

BTW did you run into Catlow in the desert? Wink

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2 Having hunted in that part of the world, I know how rugged it can be!

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
It always surprises me how big these animals are.

Thanks for posting.

Rgds,
K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote