New
Find
Notify
Tools

J'Burg Airport Lately ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For those of you who have traveled through JB fairly recently, did you experience any long delays, etc clearing immigration or customs? I have people meeting us out at the arrival hall and don't want them waiting forever if possible.
Thanks for the help.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Customs line really depends on what time your flight arrives. Some times there is no flight before the DL 200 arrival and you can have your passport stamped, bags collected and walking out of International Arrivals within 15 - 20 minutes.

However, if there is a flight or two in front of you, expect to wait an hour or more. The problem is, you never know what to expect.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Opus. We're on the Delta Flt 200 from Atlanta that arrives at 5:50pm IIRC. Arrival date is Aug 12th. Anyway to check, or is it just luck of the draw?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
I was there a three weeks ago. Went smoothly with no long waiting in line.
They did an extra search before allowing access to the waiting area at the loading gate. No big deal.

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:

Thanks Opus. We're on the Delta Flt 200 from Atlanta that arrives at 5:50pm IIRC. Arrival date is Aug 12th. Anyway to check, or is it just luck of the draw?

Luck of the draw as the flight arrival time for DL200 is different every trip due to winds and the length of flight. I have been on flights that were 40 minutes early and flights that were 40 minutes later. No way to know and then there are all the other international flights which probably are less reliable on arrival times.

Best to plan for at least 30 minutes to clear Customs. The good news is you seldom have to wait for your bags at the carousel. And also remember there is no entry form or bag check. So as soon as you have your bags, you are out the door.

If you are meeting someone at International Arrivals, make sure you designate an area to find your party. You have a choice of walking right or left as you leave. It is a big area with lots of people milling about. Also, DO NOT LET ANYONE ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR BAGS. Most of these guys are a lot faster than you and trying to catch them as they are running out the door can be difficult after sitting for 15+ hours.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
The last 2 times I went through there it was terrible. I am used to a 10 minute wait. The last 2 times (latest was in June) the line was over an hour. There were multiple large planes that had landed close to the same time and it was a mess. We have the Africa Sky VIP service scheduled in a couple of weeks. Not because it is needed, because it by-passes that long line.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point Tim. I'm booked at Africa Sky already for Aug 12th. Thinking about adding that VIP for the very reasons you mentioned. That was the intent of my question actually.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
When I went through in April I used Air2000 for their meet and greet service and they walked right up to the front of the immigration line there. My suitcase was the last bag off the plane at baggage claim but the whole process didn't take 20 minutes.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We used the VIP service last November and waiting for the luggage at the carousel was the longest part of the whole process. I would say it took about 30 minutes from arrival until we were checking into the City Lodge. Money well spent.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I'm in Zim now. Went through SA airport about 10 days ago. Very quick and efficient, Henri had the permit in hand and the only wait was for the gun case to come off the plane. Customs and passport check quick. 45 minutes from deplane to City Lodge.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Arrived June 29th and had Africa Sky meet us. Great service and helped expedite through the Customs line by at least 30 minutes. Out of the airport with bags in hand within 40 minutes of touchdown. Excellent service and well worth it. Also stayed overnight there and came away very impressed.

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
We used the VIP service last November and waiting for the luggage at the carousel was the longest part of the whole process. I would say it took about 30 minutes from arrival until we were checking into the City Lodge. Money well spent.

Mark

Same here when my son and I flew in a month ago. The VIP service also greatly expedites all the firearms paperwork.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
VIP service will greatly reduce wait times. Last trip we were 30 minutes from touchdown to in the van on our way hunting. That included clearing firearms.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
from PHASA today:

Both outbound and inbound travelers are experiencing significant delays at OR Tambo International Airport.
Immigration officials have begun capturing biometrics at the airport, taking them significantly longer to process passport holders.
Chris Zweigenthal, CEO of the Airlines Association of Southern Africa (AASA), says delays are currently taking up to two hours.

"Delays have a knock-on effect, travelers miss their connections and the cost falls to the airlines," comments June Crawford, CEO of the Board of Airline Representatives of South Africa (BARSA).
It is unclear how long these delays will last. The entire aviation community is aware of it and we are finding ways of processing people more quickly and minimizing delays, says Chris.

The biggest problem at this stage at the airport is that there are insufficient emigration officials. This issue is BARSA's top priority at present. PHASA will inform you accordingly once we had an update from them.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again Tim, and everyone else. I'll add the VIP. Peace of mind is worth something to me in this instance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
from PHASA today:

Both outbound and inbound travelers are experiencing significant delays at OR Tambo International Airport.
Immigration officials have begun capturing biometrics at the airport, taking them significantly longer to process passport holders.
Chris Zweigenthal, CEO of the Airlines Association of Southern Africa (AASA), says delays are currently taking up to two hours.

"Delays have a knock-on effect, travelers miss their connections and the cost falls to the airlines," comments June Crawford, CEO of the Board of Airline Representatives of South Africa (BARSA).
It is unclear how long these delays will last. The entire aviation community is aware of it and we are finding ways of processing people more quickly and minimizing delays, says Chris.

The biggest problem at this stage at the airport is that there are insufficient emigration officials. This issue is BARSA's top priority at present. PHASA will inform you accordingly once we had an update from them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talked to friends in SA yesterday that told me customs at JNB is taking up to two hours recently....

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
I can confirm the 2 hour wait. The longest wait, I have ever had for entry to any country.

Also you have to remove your eyeglass when you walk by the fever scanner.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Is this long wait just for folks entering South Africa as a final destination, or does it also apply to those who are transferring to other flights in Africa the same day?

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Back in Alaska. Transiting though Joberg was quick easy, and from the board showing flights, all was on time.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
I was entering.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just went through JNB tonight. Just over an hour, and that includes fixing their screw up on my transit firearm permit (wrong serial #).

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I upgraded to Africa Sky's VIP service. I'm not going to worry about it now.

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Just went through yesterday and took the five of us just over an hour from off the plane to leaving SAPS. Much shorter than I expected.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 870 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Arrived today (08-04-16) at 3pm from Zam, cleared very fast. Unlike my morning BA flight that went over 2 hours.

One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted Hide Post
Went through transit customs last night from disembark to my next gate was less than 45 minutes. That being said, the Delta glitch had about half of the 0200 flight empty. I hope none of our community missed that flight but, my wife and I had a row to ourselves because of the glitch.

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote