Notify
Tools

Cape Town Airport/Firearms
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted
Hey folks...quick question.

I'm familiar with the pick up in Joberg, but I've never flown into Cape Town. For those of you that have, is the process any different picking up your guns at the SAPS office? Assuming all the forms are in place (4457,SAPS 520, invitation letter...etc).

Thanks!

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
Bump this back up...just in case someone missed it. I'm guessing someone here has signed for a firearm in CPT.

Thanks!

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been a few years, but last time I was thru there, it was the "same

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Anyone with current experience? I too, am considering a hunt which would have me flying into Cape Town as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken the "original" Tuff-Pac gun case to Namibia on 6 trips. In it I pack two guns in Boyt soft cases (no foam padding), telescoping walking sticks ,shooting sticks etc; whatever I can get in it and stay under 50# weight. I have had no problems with TSA in doing so though I did have to give up my key for the self-lock in 2014. I think that was due to an early flight and TSA types were bored and had nothing else to do but give me extra attention. The flight was also with US Air as well and the worst travel experience I have had in 7 trips ; a mistake I will NEVER make again whether or not they carry guns !!(No longer as they have merged with American, ANOTHER shitty carrier) !!

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
And this post has what to do with the original question?? And the last time I checked US Airways didn't fly to RSA from the US.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the same thing. I think he meant to post it on a different thread about tuff-pacs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last time (of several) that I flew directly from abroad to Cape Town, the procedure was straightforward:
- pick up suitcase with ammo in it on the conveyor;
- walk toward the exit and stop at the firearms branch office on the right;
- ask the officer if he wants to check your ammo. None has so far;
- wait as the airport contract service locates and delivers your firearms to the office. You may be able to get the process going by handing over passport, copy of your first passport page, invitation to hunt letter copy, 4457 copy, and flight itinerary copy. Sign the book for your weapon details, take Temporary Firearms Import Permit and exit the customs area to meet whoever is taking you where.

Departure is easier than Joburg because there is only one Firearms Branch office, now upstairs to the far left of the airline check-in kiosks.

Regards,
Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
That is exactly what I was hoping to hear and the information that I needed. Thank you!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tim! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious? who flys directly to Cape Town from the US?

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
Emirates through Dubai (Fairbanks, Seattle, Dubai) for me, not sure who else. We are going hunting in East Cape, but doing some touring before.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are both welcome.

Am in Cape Town every year and stay with old South African friends. Have traveled, dined and enjoyed the Cape since first visit in 1983. Recommend Namaqualand daisy trip in season; little seaside town of Paternoster and its great restaurant Lazy (?) Oyster; Witblitz festival at Worcester, and much more on the Garden Route if you don't want the south Atlantic or inland scenery...

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
Tim...sent you a PM.