THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Poll: Taking "Your" Rifle(s) in 2017
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Taking "Your" Rifle(s) in 2017
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my hammers.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Bought a Blaser S-2 in 9.3x74R in 2004, shot it quite a bit and was ready to take it to Africa on my first safari in 2005.

Got to the airport in Jerez and was getting ready to fly to London and on to Windhoek, when the Spanish Customs folks asked me for a EU gun permit. This was a new requirement, and I didn't know anyone that had heard of it before. None the less I called my friend and he came and picked up the rifle and I went on to Namibia. I hunted with the outfitters rifle, which was moderatly serviceable and moved on.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always taken my own as it's part of the fun.

Unfortunately, it is becoming more of a hassle, but as long as I can, I will.

That's not to say I absolutely refuse to use a borrowed gun, but standing in line and dealing with paperwork are nonissues, after all I work for the government, so I must like the abuse, right?

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I reckon the worst would be if you were filming a hunt and the star was some historical rifle (remember In the Blood, with Roosevelts 450 NE), and it didn't show up at the airport.

In a lot of true wilderness areas in Africa you would be paying several thousand a day to not hunt.

If you get lemons you have to make lemonade.

I have been an expat American most of my adult life, hunting with my own firearms has not always been an easy thing to do. In Australia I couldn't legally own firearms, so I bought one and gave it to an Australian buddy. That way I was set up.

In Italy I couldn't own one, so I hunted with an outfitter rifle.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like hunting with my own rifles. I will use the outfitters rifle if they are quality guns and optics. Like tholo which has a safe full of blasers.

4 trips to Africa and I have issues with rifles 3 times.

Twice South African connections to Harare did not load rifle and it came on a later flight. Missed a day hunting each time.

Rifle lost on return from Burkina. eventually found one week later. Did not impact the hunt.

Rifle to Botswana came perfectly but I spend time in South Africa and loaded rifle on direct flight from Jo-berg.

Now I am flying directly from Orlando to Dubai on emirates and gun will be held by Dubai police and loaded on the direct flight to Harare. If I get to Harare the gun will get to Harare on the same plane.

I think outfitters need to upgrade their guns - quality guns and optics reflect on the outfitter just as quality fishing tackle repeats on the boat.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I prefer to hunt with own firearms. However, I am always prepared to "adapt and overcome" if the situation changes. The last time we went to Africa we were in the middle of the "you now need an exportation license to take your firearm" fiasco. Honestly we were a bit stressed. I called the PH and he told me to forget about that nonsense. He said "you are coming on a vacation to hunt and enjoy life and Africa. We have plenty of guns, come on!" So that is what we did.

We are headed across in August; we have all our permits and will be travelling with our rifles. However, we are ready to execute "plan B" if necessary.

We normally do not take firearms with us to the UK and Europe although we have done it in the past. In my experience the gamekeepers, stalkers and outfitters in the UK and Europe generally have excellent firearms and optics.

Safe hunting.............Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will always take my own rifles if I can.

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote