THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    SAA: Can you pack your ammo box IN another checked bag?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAA: Can you pack your ammo box IN another checked bag?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted
I can't quite seem to find the answer to this on SAA's website so...

SAA: Can you pack your Pelican 1200 ammo box IN another checked bag?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did no worries.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1042 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
From Johannesburg I have found that they want the Ammunition checked in with the rifle, packed separately and not with your general checked luggage.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
When I've been in South Africa, I always packed my ammo separately from the guns. For a time, it was required that ammo be packed with the guns but my understanding is that currently it cannot be packed with the guns and must be packed in other checked baggage.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
From SAA's website, basically the answer is yes. On domestic flights within RSA, it says ammo SHOULD be checked as a seperate piece of luggage but it doesn't say MUST. On international it looks like it's more acceptable. Why the difference is beyond me.

http://www.flysaa.com/us/en/fl...s.html#International

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
It depends on who you who you are dealing with at the ticket counter and which airport in RSA. On my 2010 trip, out of 4 legs my ammo was in my checked duffle on 2 flights and separate on 2 flights. It makes no sense to try to debate this with whoever you are dealing with. Just be prepared to check it if insisted upon. I never paid a dime in checked baggage fees regardless.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
Everytime outbound from the US mine has been in a seperate locked (tsa lock) Storm case inside my checked and locked (my key only) Storm case luggage.

Everytime upon departure in East London they've required it be removed from my checked luggage and sent seperately. I advised my fellow travelers of same and several chose to ignore it and placed boxes of ammo in a plastic bag to travel back to the US.

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Hi All, I thought I'd try to clarify this slightly.

I am talking about packing the ammo in a locked box that's then placed inside my checked clothes bag (luggage).

I am checking the rifle completely separate. I see no need in pushing that end of the argument.

So, my luggage looks like this:

1. Rifle in checked hardcase.
2. Checked Clothes luggage with an Ammo box (locked) inside the checked luggage.

The alternative is:

1. Rifle checked.
2. Ammo in small box checked.
3. Clothes luggage checked.

Does that make more sense? I just want to know if I can put my locked ammo box into my normal checked luggage (separate from rifle).

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
Hi All, I thought I'd try to clarify this slightly.

I am talking about packing the ammo in a locked box that's then placed inside my checked clothes bag (luggage).

Got it and that is what I did. Just expect to be told to check it as a 3rd bag somehwere along the line.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
quote:

2. Checked Clothes luggage with an Ammo box (locked) inside the checked luggage.

I just did this twice in the past month on SAA from JNB to HRE and back with no problems.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:

So, my luggage looks like this:

2. Checked Clothes luggage with an Ammo box (locked) inside the checked

That worked for me for Delta from Atlanta to Johannesburg. But Air Botswana wanted the pelican ammo box out of my duffle and all by itself from Johannesburg to Maun.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From Perth to Port Elizabeth, SAA were happy with the ammunition box inside another suitcase.

From Port Elizabeth back to Perth, SAA wanted the Pelican box seperate.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On 2 return trips on SAA between Dulles and Johannesburg, I put the ammo box in a checked suitcase, (NOT in the gun case), and had no problem.

Hugh

Posts: 106 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 27 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just this week we had to check our ammo separately from PE to Joburg, did not have to from Joburg to PE though. BenKK, did you leave PE last Tuesday after hunting with the Rudman's?

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, did it recently.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did it last month from IAD-JNB, ammo in my roller bag. On the return (JNB-IAD) I had to check the Pelican separate. This has been consistent on my 3 trips. FYI- my ammo containing Pelican was locked.

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day Karl, it was good meeting you all! I hope the last day of your hunt went well. Cheers, Ben

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just back from south Africa and flew SAA from Cape Town to Johannesburg. I forgot to tell them that I had ammo in a locked box in my locked suitcase. When I went to check in at the gate they made me go to the security office and take the ammo box out of my suitcase. Never got it back. I'm still trying to get a hold of someone from SAA to see if something can be done to get it back. I just keep getting shuffled around. any suggestions?

Posts: 61 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 12 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bgomez:
Just back from south Africa and flew SAA from Cape Town to Johannesburg. I forgot to tell them that I had ammo in a locked box in my locked suitcase. When I went to check in at the gate they made me go to the security office and take the ammo box out of my suitcase. Never got it back. I'm still trying to get a hold of someone from SAA to see if something can be done to get it back. I just keep getting shuffled around. any suggestions?

Good luck getting it back. Forgetting to mention the ammo to them is what is gonna be the big problem for you. SAA will use that as the excuse to not lift a finger to help you. Most likely, they will expect you to thank them for not turning you over to SAPS as an arms smuggler.

The final answer for ammo and how to check it is "it depends". An no matter how many times folks here ask it, the answer will always be the same. "Depends". Because no matter what one person's experience, another will come forward with a true anecdote that is 180 degrees opposite the original story.

Look at it as part of the adventure. 100 years ago, you had to worry about being eaten in Africa. Now all they do is steal your ammo. Hay, at least you don't have to worry about malaria these days. Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last November, I flew back on SAA and had my ammo box locked in my checked bag the same as when I flew in. I had absolutely no problems.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote