New
Find
Notify
Tools

fire arms in Paris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Next year, on my way to Cameroon, I will fly to Paris. Thinking about taking the wife and spending two or three days touring the sights. How would you handle your rifle while staying in Paris?

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
That was our plan, but we abandoned it when no one could provide definitive guidance as to rules and protocols for such a thing.

There is a thread on AR, started by me, where the posters' experiences in Paris varied wildly.

Plus, it was right after one of the mass shootings, which did not bode well for us.

We decided to go straight through.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Randy,

We had to lay over in Paris on our way to Cameroon. In '07. The airport police just looked at my guns and let me take them right to the hotel. I just checked with Gracy Travel and Shawn Kennedy said they have had no issues with clients taking their guns to the hotels in Paris so it looks like you may be good.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That's what we did as well. We had flown Air France to Paris and had the firearms pre-approved for the Air France flight all taken care of by Shawn from Gracy. Just left them in the room in my locked TuffPak at the airport Sheraton and toured Paris before flying out a couple of days later.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I have plenty of time before I book flights and will check to make sure things are go. Taking my wife to Paris would get me a lot of brownie points.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Just make sure that both the firearms and the ammo are pre-approved. Forrest had a minor problem when he stayed with me for a couple of days before we went to Burkina a few years ago. His ammo was OK on the flight to Paris, but the ammo didn't show as pre-approved on the flight to Ougadougou a couple of days later. It was an Air France error, solved at the airport on the way out, but still a hassle.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
In '04, I transited Paris, and found my gun case sitting at baggage claim???

I grabbed it and as I was going out of the nonexistent customs and immigration, I told one of the police that I had a gun. He just turned around and walked away.

I went out and checked the gun case back in to go on to Joberg and they had NOOOOOOOO idea how to do it. About an hour later, they said, Ok, we will check it, but you have to sign a form saying it is unloaded.

Deal.

I am sure a lot has changed from 04 when I went through and 07 when Mark went through.

When terror attacks happen, guns are the first culprits to get focused on.

Long story short. Let Gracy or Steve Turner tell you what to do.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
French Customs are professional officers of the French Republic. With a long history...the red stripe on the seam of their trousers...and knowleageable and matter of fact about firearms. The UK Border Force or the US TSA they are not! As others say 2004 and 2007 aren't 2017. Having said that I doubt if you approach them openly you have an issue. Might I suggest an EARLY paper letter communication to the French Embassy in DC or if nearer French Consulate elsewhere in the US?

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2014 we did three nights in Paris on our way to hunt in Austria. On the way in I checked the rifle with customs they tagged it. I picked it up at that location and on to Austria.

On the way back over we over nighters in Paris one last time before flying back to Northern Ky. We arrived in Paris very late. The customs officer main station in De Gale was closed. I ran around De Gal with my rifle in case until I found the last custom's agent leaving to go home. He looked at my rifle and paper work and told me to not act like a jackass and just go to a hotel. That I did.

Going back to Austia through Paris this year. Air France and Reedy 375 have told me nothing has changed.

I hope this helps.

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
In '04, I transited Paris, and found my gun case sitting at baggage claim???

I grabbed it and as I was going out of the nonexistent customs and immigration, I told one of the police that I had a gun. He just turned around and walked away.

I went out and checked the gun case back in to go on to Joberg and they had NOOOOOOOO idea how to do it. About an hour later, they said, Ok, we will check it, but you have to sign a form saying it is unloaded.

Deal.

I am sure a lot has changed from 04 when I went through and 07 when Mark went through.

When terror attacks happen, guns are the first culprits to get focused on.

Long story short. Let Gracy or Steve Turner tell you what to do.

we left Paris CDG in 06 and while entering the PAF side we announced our six guns and they let us go with a nice opening of the door and passing in front of all the passengers .... no other words said ... but it was a while ago ...

Posts: 1732 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Just imagine how safe we are now!

In the 80's I used to travel buy guns - rifles, shotguns, pistols - from England, Belgium, Germany and Austria.

I pick the rifles and drive straight to the airport.

No questions asked. Treated as normal checked baggage!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote