Find
Notify
Tools

Safari First-Aid Kit
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted
After 19 safaris in 9 sub-Saharan African countries, 25+ years in SpecOps and a review of conditions surrounding safari accidents and deaths (including animal attacks and gunshots), this is what I now bring along on safari in my emergency medical kit:

IFAK pouch - This is the GI IFAK pouch 5"W x 7"-8"H x 2½" D. Readily available in new and used condition in many GI colors/camo patterns.

Israeli Emergency Bandage - trauma wound dressing/4" hemorrhage control bandage. Consolidates the following:
- Pressure Applicator
- Non-Stick Pad
- Elastic Secondary Dressing
- Closure Bar

QuikClot Combat Gauze Z-Folded - Controls external traumatic bleeding. Heat free 3" x 4 yards.

H and H Compressed Gauze (2 ea.) - Sterile crinkle cotton fluff bandage rolls:
- 4½" x 4.1 yards stretched
- 6-ply, cotton, white

TK4 Rugged Combat Tourniquet (2 ea.) - For severe bleeding. May be applied with one hand.

Duct Tape (2 ea.) - 2" x 50" rolls

TEVDEK II (2 ea.) - 1 x 30" 5-0 Surgical sutures, sterile

WATERJEL - 4" x 16" Burn dressing, sterile, gel-soaked

Antibacterial Moist Wipes (3 ea.)

Bandage, Muslim, Compressed (2 ea.), 37" x 37" x 52" Triangle Slings - AKA cravats

Z-Blade Skinner (scalpel) Tool in protective plastic case

EMT Shears

Ball point pen

Surgical Gloves (2 ea.)

Knife sharpener, pocket - with coarse and fine sides
________

All the above fit into the single IFAK pouch. Instructions for use, including videos, are available online. Many of these items were designed for and improved by the U.S. military.

Most of these items are shrink-wrapped (compressed) and sterile until opened. Some have expiration dates and should be replaced as they expire as their effectiveness can be dramatically reduced. The plastic wrappers may be used to cover and seal sucking chest wounds. The triangle bandages (slings) and tourniquets can be used to secure field expedient splints to broken extremities.

All these items can be found on the internet and shopping for competitive pricing is possible. The IFAK goes into my WP bag along with spare ammo, jacket, headlamp, etc. which rides on the truck every day and can be retrieved by a tracker or game scout in case of an emergency.

As I indicated earlier, an additional QuikClot and Israeli bandage are carried in my CamelBack whenever I leave the truck. Medications, including a single daily dose of antibiotics and pain reducers are carried on my person for use if needed, while the rest remain at base camp.

You may want to add or delete items as you see fit. There is no right or wrong, and I would be interested in what others think indispensable in their emergency medical kits. I need to add a good pair of long tweezers to my IFAK.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
A buddy and client of mine has a company that produces military and emergency service first aid, trauma, surgical kits.

Www.chinookmed.com

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am much more minimalist.

After about 20 years of medical practice including ER and urgent care, it is pretty obvious to me that knowledge is much more important that what you carry with you.

I just keep on my person a handkerchief in a plastic bag and make sure I am wearing a belt, and have a knife on me. Pretty much you can improvise from there.

The problem is that most people don't know what they are doing, and watching some youtube video is not going to make you know what you need to know in an emergency. Some of the stuff you listed will be problematic in untrained hands (for god's sake, if you have never done a venous cut down, leave the scalpel at home!)

The kit on the truck is much more extensive, and can handle anything I feel comfortable dealing with short of med evacuation.

Really, the best thing to do is take some real first aid/first responder classes, and once you know what you can do, decide what you want in your kit. However, a kit that is too big/clumsy and is not on you is generally useless. Odds are if you get hurt, no one is going to know what to do with all the fancy stuff, and you will likely not be very coherent in any explanations you can make.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the Neosporin!

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I've heard tampons are good to have. Is that true? This is not a joke, either.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, most physicians have very limited knowledge of emergency field medicine. They get one ER rotation in med school and very few actually specialize in anything related to field trauma medicine, so never get any exposure to it again. You'd be much better off with a U.S. Navy Corpsman who had been attached to the Fleet Marine Force during combat operations; they KNOW field trauma medicine and how to save lives without a completely equipped and staffed emergency room in a hospital.

Nothing in my kit is exotic, or "problematic". Most of it is covered in any Red Cross Basic First Aid course. Any U.S. military veteran of the last 15 years or so has been given training in the use of all the listed items and has probably had occasion to use them if serving in Southwest Asia. Almost any emergency responder has also received training in how to use these items to save lives. Any training is better than none, and that includes internet videos and instructions provided by the manufacturers of the first aid items. This isn't brain surgery, it's field first aid and trauma care for the preservation of life.

As to the medical kits on safari trucks or in safari camps, well you can take your chances if you so choose. It may help if you can read Afrikaans, or not. My IFAK that stays on the truck weighs only 1¾ lbs and the QuikClot and Israeli bandage I carry on my person weighs 3½ oz. ANYBODY, especially hunters in remote areas, can suture a wound closed and may well be required to do so. Buy a couple of pigs feet at the local butcher/meat market and spend an afternoon practicing. If you can replace a button or sew a tear in your pants, you can suture yourself or a companion.

BTW, I am not picking a fight with crbutler, who says he is a physician, but I believe his post does a dis-service to anyone concerned with saving their own life or that of another under field conditions. I have had this disagreement with many medical doctors over the years and have found most don't have a clue about the current status of field emergency medical treatment. Frankly, they are lost outside of a hospital emergency room without state of the art equipment and a staff of 4-5 trained medical personnel to assist them. I have had a wound sutured in the field in Africa by a hunting companion with no ill results.

Consider the following scenario and then decide what you want on your person. We can assume we will all have some kind of knife with us while in the field.

It is late on the first day of your safari, and you have been tracking a wounded Buffalo. You are 10 miles from the vehicle and the Buff has taken you into a thick area of jess bush inaccessible to vehicles.

Suddenly the Buff charges from an unseen hiding place and hooks your PH, severely goring and tossing him before disappearing again into the jess. Your PH is unconscious and has a traumatic bleeding wound and possible broken bones. What now? Substitute a gunshot wound from a large bore rifle, if you prefer.

Do you know that, generally speaking, medevac helicopters are not available in Africa? And do you know that MARS will not fly at night? Can you send a tracker back to the truck and can he call for assistance from the truck radio? Does he know how to drive and can he get the truck closer to your position in the dark, driving cross country?

If you are carrying 3½ oz of QuikClot and an Israeli bandage you will likely be able to stop the bleeding, and that's the first step to surviving until medical evacuation can be arranged. Worst case is you might have to survive 16-20 hours before you can be aboard a medical evac aircraft almost anywhere in Africa. Of course, if you prefer to try with a "minimalist" handkerchief, have at it. I, however, choose to be responsible for my own survival and always have.

My kit works for me. Your needs, skill and confidence level may be different. My intent here is to get people to think about the issue and prepare accordingly.

DCS Member - Feminine sanitary napkins and tampons do, in fact, make excellent first aid materials. I used them in the '70s quite extensively for that purpose. But today the QuikClot and Israeli bandage are a much better option and are not expensive.

415sbaird - Yes, I have a small tube of Neosporin and an assortment of band-aids in a small zip-lock bag that is also carried in my CamelBak, as well as waterproof matches, a small headlamp and a small multi-tool.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the information and ideas! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
knowledge, knowledge, knowledge

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lion for all the detailed thoughts and ideas. I pretty much carry the same as you in my Camelback. A hydration pack, like the Camelback is extremely important in my way of thinking. Sure the trackers always carry water, but I like to take a swig from my Camel without stopping and holding up the procession a lot more frequently than the whole group stops.

Most likely one would be quite far from the main vehicle most of the time and sending someone back for the kit would waste valuable, maybe life saving time. Quick clot, absorbent material, tape, blister repair, scalpel blade, superglue, pain med, knife, mini tool, camera and flashlight are always in my Camel. I have my main 1st aid kit onboard the hunting vehicle each day with a few other items, socks, jacket, gloves, etc.

FWIW - Camelback has a new pack, under the tactical section, the Ambush that is absolutely awesome. 100 0z. antidote bladder, super drinking/refilling system, short and wide so rides high on the back, with two pockets for adequate daylong gear. I received this pack two weeks ago and have used it on two 6 mile hikes to date. I see this as my "go to" pack for my upcoming Moz Safari and most everywhere/anytime I go to the woods.

I don't rely on anyone else to provide the real necessary items during the day. I see the 1st aid thing as not just for myself, but for everyone in the group. After being on a rescue effort with bad consequences where two guys left their vehicle in nice weather, but when a storm hit nearly froze to death, I NEVER leave my vehicle here in the New Mexico Mountains without my Camel, period.

Larry Sellers
SCI (International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a company at SCI who will customize a first aid kit for you. My surgeon girlfriend thought they were fantastic.

Also, last year my friend Jeff got an outstanding kit from (as I recall ) Gander Mountain.

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rule is simple - I can determine the quality of a PH by the importance he gives to his first aid kit.

A properly outfitted first aid kit in the truck is a sign of a good ph and a good hunting outfit. If the PH and hunting outfit don't care about the first aid kit they probably don't care abut your safety during the hunt.

Mike - thanks for info on the first aid kit. I will get one kitted out similar to what you have listed.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Diarrhea ruins more trips than gunshot wounds.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A handfull of tampons could save the day. If you get bitten by something big and hairy, with long canines, a tampon, with appicator, could help stop the bleeding quickly. I've added a dozen to my kit. People give me a hard time, but it seems logical.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lionhunter

In a way you make my point.

You had the 20 some years of having continual refresher training in basic first aid.

Your little scenario what I would have available and what you have would essentially have the same outcome, assuming you know what to do.

Truth be told, the camelback is probably more valuable than all the rest.

And yes, a Navy Corpsman or an Army medic would do better than most of my peers at field treatment- its what they do day in, day out. They are very experienced at field expedient treatment. I have said in the past that I would rather have a paramedic with a hunting knife attending to me in an emergency than some guy off the street who has a full milsurp corpsman's kit who took BLS 5 years ago.

I have seen a gunshot wound in the field, and quite simply, all the quickclot, etc. is useless if you don't know what to do, and unless you have been repeatedly drilled in it, 95% of folks stand around panicking.

You do realize that a straight through wound in the arm with a solid that misses any major vessel will do fine with pressure, yet if you put that tourniquet on it until he stops bleeding you just cost the guy his arm if you have to wait a couple hours?

My point is that most stuff is adaptable, sure having a specialized tool for the job is better, but if you understand what you are trying to do you can adapt to your situation.

Quickclot, Israeli bandages and combat tourniquets are all specialized attempts to make sure that the individual soldier has the stuff on his person so that the medic can deal with multiple casualties in a short time frame. Triage (the concept) came about on a battlefield so that the medics didn't waste too much time on one guy when they needed to deal with several. In essence, the specialized gear is to multiply the effectiveness of the first responder. (a triangular bandage is pretty much what an Israeli bandage is, and they are usually made by cutting up a piece of cloth (read shirt) and tying it around whatever injury.

I don't have a problem that you want to carry that stuff with you. You probably could function fine with it, from what you say about your experience.

What about the guy who's only experience is that 2 years ago when we first debated this, brought a pack of quickclot, watched a video that was more ad than training, and put it in a baggy and stuffed it in his hunting supplies? Is he prepared?

To the rest, I am not saying that Lionhunter's kit will not work; if you know what you are doing with it, it is very good. Again, if you don't know what you are doing, there is a reasonable chance you will do more harm than good. Unfortunately, I have seen the outcome too often when someone tries to help and does not know what they are doing, and it is not positive. What is really needed is some basic knowledge and a cool head.

The other thing to think of is that pain meds (especially OTC stuff) is not very useful in a major situation- heck usually you need injectable stuff that is controlled in pretty much any country in the world to get someone comfortable after major trauma once the adrenalin wears off (and most of the pain pills that you get from your doc could well land you in a prison in many African nations...) Most of the items that folks have mentioned (neosporin, anti diarrheals, antibiotics, etc.) are things that while useful, are not things that are needed urgently (ie within minutes) of something happening. Bandaids, neosporin, pain medicine, sutures, (with the exception of aspirin in the case of a heart attack) are not really all that urgently needed. If you have them in the truck, you are covered.

My opinion is get the training (BLS courses are usually offered for free or minimal cost in most communities) and THEN decide what you want to carry with. What I think is useful and minimal may well be worlds different than what you think is needed, once you know what to do and you think about it a bit.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. Glad this post is stimulating thought among AR members.

My CamelBak is the original 100 oz. long Ambush. Beau has the newer - shorter & wider - Ambush (still 100 oz.). The Ambush has two compartments for hauling along smaller items. The CamelBak Ambush is available in an assortment of military colors and patterns. They are available online.

The top pocket of mine carries the QuikClot and Israeli bandage, the small tube of Neosporin along with an assortment of band-aids and a small roll of 1st aid tape go into a small zip-lock bag, waterproof matches in a waterproof case and 12 hour CYALUME light sticks (3 ea.).

The lower larger pocket has a dozen pieces of individually wrapped hard candy in a zip lock bag, 20 feet of parachute cord, a tube - 12 tablets - of NUUN electrolyte enhanced drink tabs, 6 packets of HAMMER GEL rapid energy fuel, a pocket packet of Kleenex, a small headlamp, a Steri-Pen water purifier and a small Leatherman multi-tool.

There is plenty of room for additional items in both pockets, but you have to decide what you are willing to carry and what it weighs.

Be sure to check expiration dates on your 1st Aid items and CYALUME light sticks and install fresh batteries in your Steri-Pen and headlamp before you depart for safari.

Larry Sellers - Like you, I drink from the tube of my CamelBak continuously. I have a medical issue - thick blood - that requires I drink frequently. I also perspire heavily and am very aware of dehydration, which I suffered after shooting my first Elephant in 1998. That incident prompted me to begin wearing a water bladder on my back whenever I hunt Africa. After a lot of research and experimentation with other brands, I settled on the CamelBak Ambush as the best solution for my needs and it will be making its fourth Elephant safari this September.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lavaca:
A handfull of tampons could save the day. If you get bitten by something big and hairy, with long canines, a tampon, with appicator, could help stop the bleeding quickly. I've added a dozen to my kit. People give me a hard time, but it seems logical.[/QUOTE

And while on the subject, the so called "panty liners" make excellent sterile dressings, trim what gets in the way.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
crbutler -

Why is it you believe there is some sort of qualification required before someone can correctly utilize QuikClot? Stuff it into a severely bleeding wound and wrap with an Israeli bandage. End of story. The QuikClot will do more to stop the bleeding than direct pressure - which does not work for many traumatic wounds. The Israeli bandage will apply direct pressure over the QC and free the responder to take other actions. Are you even familiar with the current generation of the products?

Do you honestly believe that 95% of hunters and AR members will "stand around panicking."? I don't.

You and I went through this a few years ago and disagreed then. Clearly nothing has changed your outlook. You have a very condescending view of the non-medical citizenry; not uncommon to some in your profession. However, since you won't be along on most AR member safaris, meaning they will not be able to avail themselves of your all-purpose handkerchief, perhaps you could moderate your opinions. What is your medical specialty? I've forgotten, or perhaps I just simply don't care.

Disclaimer: Some of my best friends, hunting partners and family members are doctors. They all listen to me when I talk about field medicine and all now carry QuikClot and an Israeli bandage while on safari.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this is about trauma and wounds but to add a thought on travel health.

There is one thing I never leave home without--whether on international or domestic travel, business or pleasure and that is ciprofloxacin aka CIPRO.

It has helped me through several bouts of food poisoning.

Talk to your Doctor and see if they will give you some for your travel kit.

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 250 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be a contrarian, but Doxycycline is better tolerated, has fewer side effects and is more effective against many of the bugs (TBF) that you find in the African bush than ciprofloxacin.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike - thanks for your thoughts on the Camelbak Ambush, it was immediately my response to it as well. I also carry Wilderness Athlete electrolyte and pick me ups, Kleenex, rope, hard candy, and add whatever I think may be needed for each individual day. I have a Camelbak "ALL Clear" UV water purifier, filled with good stuff, that goes in the trackers bag each day.

I have always wanted to use the large safety pin technique for pinning the tongue to the lower lip to keep an unconscious victim from swallowing their tongue, but my two hunting buddies refuse to play the role of victim. Big Grin

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Thanks for the comments. Glad this post is stimulating thought among AR members.

My CamelBak is the original 100 oz. long Ambush. Beau has the newer - shorter & wider - Ambush (still 100 oz.). The Ambush has two compartments for hauling along smaller items. The CamelBak Ambush is available in an assortment of military colors and patterns. They are available online.

The top pocket of mine carries the QuikClot and Israeli bandage, the small tube of Neosporin along with an assortment of band-aids and a small roll of 1st aid tape go into a small zip-lock bag, waterproof matches in a waterproof case and 12 hour CYALUME light sticks (3 ea.).

The lower larger pocket has a dozen pieces of individually wrapped hard candy in a zip lock bag, 20 feet of parachute cord, a tube - 12 tablets - of NUUN electrolyte enhanced drink tabs, 6 packets of HAMMER GEL rapid energy fuel, a pocket packet of Kleenex, a small headlamp, a Steri-Pen water purifier and a small Leatherman multi-tool.

There is plenty of room for additional items in both pockets, but you have to decide what you are willing to carry and what it weighs.

Be sure to check expiration dates on your 1st Aid items and CYALUME light sticks and install fresh batteries in your Steri-Pen and headlamp before you depart for safari.

Larry Sellers - Like you, I drink from the tube of my CamelBak continuously. I have a medical issue - thick blood - that requires I drink frequently. I also perspire heavily and am very aware of dehydration, which I suffered after shooting my first Elephant in 1998. That incident prompted me to begin wearing a water bladder on my back whenever I hunt Africa. After a lot of research and experimentation with other brands, I settled on the CamelBak Ambush as the best solution for my needs and it will be making its fourth Elephant safari this September.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Mike - thanks for your thoughts on the Camelbak Ambush, it was immediately my response to it as well. I also carry Wilderness Athlete electrolyte and pick me ups, Kleenex, rope, hard candy, and add whatever I think may be needed for each individual day. I have a Camelbak "ALL Clear" UV water purifier, filled with good stuff, that goes in the trackers bag each day.

I have always wanted to use the large safety pin technique for pinning the tongue to the lower lip to keep an unconscious victim from swallowing their tongue, but my two hunting buddies refuse to play the role of victim. Big Grin

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:

Larry

You pay for the next elephant hunt and I promise to play the role of "the Victim" for you
How bad could it be??? Eeker

I use a Canmelback and in it is a REI Explorers' first aid kit with a couple added items. It has bandages, antibiotic ointment(s), Cleansing wipes, Sterile wipes, large gauze and medical tape, small scissors and a scalpel blade among a few other items. It also comes with Larry's safety pin. Smiler
I have added a length of small diameter parachute cord on a cord wrap, several packets of mole skin, a survival blanket, a emergency wind/rain breaker, packets of Tylenol and Motrin and 6 Hydrocodone tablets, ultra absorbent towel, plastic bag/Ziploc bag, super glue and small picnic towel and backpacker toilet paper. It all fits very neatly in the water proof REI Explorer medical kit which is about 6" wide by 8" tall and a large sandwich Ziploc bag

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the info on the CamelBak. Shall sort that out.

I know you mentioned it but also when you sort out the wound powder and you think you are covered; double it, epically with the Renamo boys playing silly buggers. It makes a great bargaining toy.

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
before my self guided hunt in Cameroon 2 months ago, i put together a VERY extensive first aid kit with most everything mentioned and more( hemostats, various suture and scalpel sizes, surgical super glue, local anesthetics, IV supplies, etc, etc,). unfortunately when Air France lost both my bags on the way in, we had to make the hunt with nothing in the way of first aid gear( or anything else for that matter). a real aw shit!!! moment. luckily most of the stuff wasn't needed. the good news was AF found 1 bag 1 month later and just paid me $1740 for the other one still MIA( and it contained the first aid gear). back to square one with a new kit....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing I have found very useful was opthamaliic ointment. Conjunctivitis is no fun and the dust and dirty hands ca lead to a severe case.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think I'll take Mike's advice as I have limited first-aid knowledge. Somehow a bandana in a plastic bag doesn't seem sufficient for me.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have almost the exact same stuff as Lionhunter does in his kit, plus my survival stuff is packed in there as well (fire starting, water purification, signaling, shelter, space blanket, etc).

Depending on where I am, I also pack some other stuff. Anywhere it drop below freezing I also include a survival sleeping back. These are very small and can save your life if trapped unexpectedly overnight. In Africa I carry a suture/IV/surgical kit to make sure I have "clean" stuff should someone need it. This also very small as well.

Another item I also carry is a large plastic trash bag. These can be used for shelter, covering the ground, rain coat, or often (as I have one in my vehicles as well) - ground cover when working on the vehicle.

In my UTV, I carry a full tent and survival sleeping bags should we breakdown and need cover over night.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have most of the items discussed and would add a dental kit with temporary fillings.
I would hate to have a dental issue in the bush.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob - I also include a small "dental kit" in my larger 1st aid kit as well. Lots of times I travel with a dentist friend, so don't worry when he is along.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Haught:
I have most of the items discussed and would add a dental kit with temporary fillings.
I would hate to have a dental issue in the bush.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I definitely agree that knowledge trumps "stuff" but its best if you have both. You should be familiar with everything you have in your first aid kit.

I think many people buy prepackaged first aid kits and it gives them a false sense of security. In my opinion you should build your own based upon your own needs. Keep it simple and keep it light. Remember that not every medical issue that comes up is an emergency.

I second or third the use of a Camelbak Ambush. I have both the MULE and the Ambush but the Ambush is the sleeker design.

If you are buying a Camelbak you should really consider buying the military versions. They are better designed and of higher quality than their civilian counterparts.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rx - Agree on best to build ones own kit. When doing so at least you have "touched" the item prior to putting it in the kit. Smiler Really most of us do some research on a product and get some idea, via video or talking with a doctor, on the merits and how to of the items/s. I have a doc who is very good and willing to help me in this when I have asked.

It seems the Camelback Ambush pack is quite popular? I agree that their Military/Tactical products are on a higher quality level than the commercial ones.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Had a standard 'kit' that I carried when I was hunting Africa. I also included a preloaded stapler as I'm not much good with needle and thread. A surgeon friend gave me some instructions(on use and when) and they actually came in handy once but there accidentally happened to be a Lady surgeon in camp who put my kit to good use closing a bad knife cut. This was before quick-clot was actually available on the market and there was an emergency room Dr on the forums that would provide hunters with it. So much is available that was not then that no one should go ill prepared for simple emergencies.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed reading these old post. Are there any new updates on items you should carry or what type of camel pack?

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in what some of you are using for electrolyte/hydration tablets or powder. Is there a latest greatest thing on the market?

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had more than one (human) medical professional tell me that Pedialyte is hard to beat. At a Sporting Clay shoot in San Angelo, TX a couple of years ago in May it got over 100F every day and several shooters told me that they order the Pedialyte packets on Amazon and mix with their bottled water. I have started doing that whenever I am in a hot situation and it has made a huge difference in my energy level and how I feel.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been very pleased with the NUUN product for the replenishment of electrolytes.