New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non Rev travel with guns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone in airline industry know anything about this looking around not finding anything really. I assume it may not be easy international etc but it could increase my hunting in Africa if I can find a way.

Cheers!

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It’s real easy. Follow all applicable regs for the carrier you are on and check them just like a revenue PAX. Of course be ready to pay any additional baggage fees.

It’s brain dead simple.

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Wow, years ago I used to date a girl that flew non-rev and the only flight she could ever get was DFW to MSP. And she was jump seat eligible. Good luck.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
Wow, years ago I used to date a girl that flew non-rev and the only flight she could ever get were DFW to MSP. And she was jump seat eligible. Good luck.

Andy yeah, it freaking tough to travel non rev now days.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Back around 2010 or 2011, there was a Delta employee on this forum (his name was Glen, I think) who flew to Africa w guns frequently as a nonrev. He was based in SLC, again, if I recall correctly.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I’m an airline pilot who frequently non revs with firearms. Including multiple times to Africa. See my post above.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
I used to fly non-rev and just remember if you have a connecting flight to get to Africa, you can get bumped. Then you sit burning up your hunting days...

I’ve got a 3 day rule for non rev international travel. If you’ve got a non flexible start date like on a booked hunt you need to give yourself 3 days to get there non rev. Here’s the other thing, when non reving you’ve got to play the loads game. Travel on off days and don’t hunt during peak times.

Truth be told, it’s such a PITA now days that I only non rev if it’s not important to be there or I’ve got lots of time. The last time I went I got to SA 5 days early and hung out with some friends then headed up to Zim the day before I was supposed to arrive all non rev. If I was on a tight schedule I’d buy a ticket.

The non rev benefit is beginning to not be very useable with the high load factors now days. Sometimes after you’ve paid your non rev fees and taxes you’d have almost paid the same on a discounted positive space ticket.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You Jump seating?
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
I’m an airline pilot who frequently non revs with firearms. Including multiple times to Africa. See my post above.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This time i'll probably buy a ticket but in the future...Plan on Jumpseating on Delta

White Mountains Arizona