THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Ethiopian through Addis to VFA Experiences?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ethiopian through Addis to VFA Experiences?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any recent experience with this airline/layover? I'm particularly interested in the experience with firearms interactions in Addis as well as the overnight accommodations/food situation.

We are flying into Vic Falls in May for our hunt and TWG is showing very few airlines with a route from the New York area through to VFA and being able to accommodate more than 1 rifle per hunter. I'd really prefer to travel with 2, myself. The ticket includes an overnight voucher for a hotel in Addis.

Posts: 1415 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used them twice and am booked the end of next month, have not stayed overnight. Checking your firearm at Addis goes smooth, just allow enough time. I have a 3hr. 45 min. layover going to Dar Es Salaam. They will take you to where they handle the bags, open up the case, check SS #, show 4457, have 3 or 4 extra copies to be able to give them one rather than them having to make a copy of your original, lock it back, then they will walk you back to the gate. I really like Ethiopian , fair amount of leg room, friendly. Prices are good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have flown Ethiopian to and from Douala, Cameroon and these flights originated and returned to Addis Ababa, where I connected with other flights. I did not travel with firearm(s) so cannot comment on that aspect.
I was rather impressed with Ethiopian on the leg departing Douala, traveling to Addis Ababa. Not unusually the flight departing Douala was about 2 hours late. I was concerned as this really shortened the layover time I had before connecting to the onwards Ethiopian flight to Dubai. And having already been through Addis Airport security knew this was a grindingly slow process.
Anyway, upon landing at Addis Ababa and disembarking onto the tarmac there was a guy at the bottom of the stairs corralling people who had onwards flights. He then ushered all onto two or three buses and we were rushed around to multiple planes to board our various flights. All went straight from the bus to their respective planes without bothering with airport security !
I boarded my plane and about 30 minutes later we were airborne. I thought there was no way my bag could have been loaded and merely thought I would have to follow this up on return to New Zealand. The plane landed in Dubai with plenty of time to catch my next flight on Emirates to Auckland, New Zealand. Upon landing there I wasn't paying too much attention at baggage claim as I was sure my bag was not on the flight but was highly and pleasantly surprised to see it among the first to appear on the baggage conveyor. That really knocked my socks off. Under the circumstances I would not think ill of any airline that did not transfer my bag onto the same flights but Ethiopian rose to the occasion. Pretty impressive in my book.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1985 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, both.

Bama: Did you fly economy or business? I'm leaning hard towards economy. They're getting a $5K premium for business on this route for the dates we are traveling. I'm having a very hard time justifying that.

Posts: 1415 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:
Thank you, both.

Bama: Did you fly economy or business? I'm leaning hard towards economy. They're getting a $5K premium for business on this route for the dates we are traveling. I'm having a very hard time justifying that.

I always fly cattle class, can't afford anything else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you. The difference is the addition of a hippo to the hunt! How was the food/drink situation?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:
I'm with you. The difference is the addition of a hippo to the hunt! How was the food/drink situation?

The food was OK, I mean it's still airline food to some degree, if I wanted good Southern home made cooking I wouldn't go to an airline. Drinks, I don't drink so don't know about that. To me, if an airline gets me and my bags there on time, friendly , clean with a reasonable amount of leg room at a fair price, that's all I can want.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone comment on the overnight accommodations provided by Ethiopian on flights which connect the next morning? TWG is advising that they will assign us a hotel upon arrival, but with Patrick's departure from TWG we're having a bit of trouble getting a straight answer on the quality of accommodations provided, as well as the need/lack thereof for a transit Visa if we leave the terminal rather than pay extra to stay in a hotel in-terminal. Planning to talk to Steve at SCI next week, but getting a bit uneasy now that Patrick is gone from our account....

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Airlines provide hotel accommodation according to the class you are flying.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last time thru there I stayed at the Sky-Light hotel. It was outstanding, food and service was great, but"no alcohol", as it seems no one drinks there.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. We booked the SkyLight In-Terminal hotel for our overnights.