New
Find
Notify
Tools

rifloe case locks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
going to travel to So Africa in a few months so I have a Pelican gun case and do you have to have TSA locks on it or will regular locks work. would not like to find out they were cut off then try to find new locks not sure what they require in S Africa

Posts: 197 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regular locks only. Never put TSA locks on your rifle or ammo case.

Posts: 1790 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
I use small non TSA master locks with an extra set in the case in case they would be cut off.

DRSS Member

Posts: 898 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WVFred:
I use small non TSA master locks with an extra set in the case in case they would be cut off.

I use an SKB case with their locks, but I too carry a couple of small master locks “just in case”. Several years ago while leaving Joburg, at check in several hunters were checking in at the same time and the security guy was placing all of the firearms on a cart to take to the security office for final clearance. As he slid my case on the cart he struck and sheared the lock off on an aluminum case. The security guy told the owner that the rifle couldn’t go unlocked. None of the affected hunters group had any sort of lock. I gave him one of my “extra” locks and prevented a mad dash thru OR Tambo searching for a padlock.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I never use TSA locks, but I ALWAYS use a lock everywhere it CAN be used on my case. For my pelican, that means 4 locks.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never use TSA locks, but I ALWAYS use a lock everywhere it CAN be used on my case. For my pelican, that means 4 locks.

tu2 My TuffPaks are vendor locks. Keeps the TSA out and requires them to actually follow the law and request my key in order to inspect my gun case. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a friend who went last year also said no TSA locks on gun case but had to have TSA locks on his ammo box? that was in his checked bag

Posts: 197 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hydehunter,

Your post above is exactly what you should do.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to be aware, the above is the law, but some TSA types interpret you must use TSA locks.

Make sure you tell them when you give them the case you don’t have TSA locks on it and that you must be present for inspection.

Taking an extra set of TSA locks if you meet up with a real hard head could save you missing a flight.

The law says only the owner should have the key/combo for a firearms case. Individual agents have been known to not know/follow the law.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Just to be aware, the above is the law, but some TSA types interpret you must use TSA locks.

Make sure you tell them when you give them the case you don’t have TSA locks on it and that you must be present for inspection.

Taking an extra set of TSA locks if you meet up with a real hard head could save you missing a flight.

The law says only the owner should have the key/combo for a firearms case. Individual agents have been known to not know/follow the law.

Delta agent in spokane would not let me accompany her when she opened it. Said it was because it was a secure area. Full of attitude.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info, I will use regular locks on the gun and take a set of TSA locks just in case

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I use a pistol case for my ammo case. It is lockable. The hasp’s are lockable with a key.

I place this in my checked bag, with my ammo case unlocked. I place a combination lock on my bag that has TSA key ability.

This is good to get you into Africa. Now if you fly in Africa for a connection, you will need to lock the ammo case, sometimes they ship it separate and sometimes you can place it back in your check bag.

Make sure you place luggage tags on your ammo case. You will need to take the tags along. I just have my case double tagged. A good stick on tag covered with clear packing tape works great. Put your cell phone number in bold 48 print font in RED. I do this on my rifle case also.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1575 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have TSA locks only on the small ammo box that sits inside my checked baggage. It also has a luggage tag because you will likely be shipping the ammo separately after you arrive in Jo'burg. The firearms case is NON-TSA locks as stated above. You are the ONLY person that should have access to that firearms case, per federal law. If TSA wishes to inspect, they are to contact you and request the keys or combination. Keeps unsuspecting and unauthorized hands and eyes away from traveling firearms. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The law clearly says not to use TSA locks that being said I always use TSA lock
On a trip to Zimbabwe my guns never made it TSA wanted to open my gun case and would not cut the locks without out replacement locks which were in the case
I wrote on my gun case my cell phone number and state there are replacement locks in the case
I had a horrible trip using a garbage camp rifle
The reality is all these government agencies employees don’t understand the rules and interpitations vary widely

Posts: 170 | Location: Vero Beach Florida | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KLM has changed the rules this year. I always used to put my ammo box in my checked luggage, but this year, they said it had to be shipped separately.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve used these on Pelican gun cases; lightweight aluminum

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ma...ble-630DHC/100137147

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
KLM has changed the rules this year. I always used to put my ammo box in my checked luggage, but this year, they said it had to be shipped separately.

“….it had to be shipped separately.”

As in, shipped inside another checked bag? Or checked as it’s own piece of luggage?

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

This is why one must ALWAYS print and keep a copy from the TSA’s own website, it can be somewhat satisfying to educate the TSA agents.

Posts: 169 | Location: So Cal, ....USA | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is why one must ALWAYS print and keep a copy from the TSA’s own website, it can be somewhat satisfying to educate the TSA agents.

You are assuming that (1) they can read, and (2) they give a rat's rear end. TSA's pay scale primarily attracts the lowest common denominator in the labor force -- which isn't the fault of the personnel but that of TSA for being so stingy with OUR money and failing to give the service we pay for.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2

posted Hide Post
One final thought to consider is some TSA agents require a lock in every possible location. If you have a hard sided case with a space for 6 locks. They require all 6 locations to have a lock. Most of the locks sold in an airport will not fit your case. Bring extras just in case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
checked the TSA web site and it does say locks in all hole positions,also printed out the section that says TSA does not require TSA locks and i have a set of regular locks and will take a set of TSA locks just in case

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DLS,

Sorry not to have responded sooner. KLM required the ammo box to go as a separate piece of checked luggage. It could not be inside of another checked bag, which is contrary to the way it has always been since I've been going.

I've always been of the impression that TSA locks are not permissible on guncases and I always use Master locks. But I put a duplicate set in the guncase so if they cut the locks to inspect, they could, were they so inclined, re-lock the case.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I use combination locks - large ones with 4 digits - available from Amazon.

I also keep a spare set inside.

Been using these for many many years, and they work great.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote